Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-01-24, 5:38pm

can anyone recommend a serger ?
Old 2009-01-24, 5:53pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I use to work for viking but have to say that the Babylock is the easiest machine to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-25, 8:01am

Thanks Bead Bug .
Old 2009-03-10, 5:40pm

Hi all. Can anyone recommend what other silk I could use besides dupion? I've made and sold a few ribbons made with dupion silk but it's very thick. What kind of silk is the one that crinkles and is thin? Is it the chinese silk? I've been told shantung is just a more expensive version of dupion.

Vanessa

|
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-03-11, 5:40pm

PM Jamn and ask her what she uses I am sure she would tell ya.

Old 2010-02-13, 1:22pm

Smile

Bump! Thought this thread was full of some good info!

Old 2010-02-15, 10:24pm
I ate a big red candle!

Just read through this thread and now I really wanna dye stuff. Too bad I don't have a serger....or money....or time...and I have too many hobbies already

pout

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2010-02-16, 4:27pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

The sewing studio in orlando has a web site and does mail order, they have gobs of silk, you can also special order silk at Joanns in case you didnt know.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-02-17, 11:50am
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
The sewing studio in orlando has a web site and does mail order, they have gobs of silk, you can also special order silk at Joanns in case you didnt know.

Candice
Do you know if they have the ends serged? I really like that look, but I don't really want to spend more money on more tools and supplies. Everyone else makes beautiful ones though. I'm sure it's better for me to support them and buy from the pros.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2010-02-28, 6:38pm

I saw a great silk ribbon vendor in Arcata, Ca. She cut all her silk on the bias so no serging was necessary. Changes the way it handles and hangs with beads, but seriously gorgeous!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-02-28, 8:15pm
JulieV

Ooo! I'd like to see those!

Old 2010-03-01, 6:47pm

When something this narrow is cut on the bias I don't think it would wear very well. If you get some please let us know how they work out.

Old 2010-03-01, 7:17pm
JulieV

I'd like to see it too. Beadbug, you make a very good point.

Old 2011-11-14, 9:33pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Do you think that Silk Sari Ribbon would work for these? I see so much of it on etsy and it would be so nice and easy to just serge the edges and have great ribbons.
Old 2011-11-15, 12:33am

I have some of the silk sari ribbon and unless it comes wider it wouldn't work because the strips aren't wide enough to serge without ending up having a shoe lace width string when you are finished. To bad because the colors are amazing.

BTW I have put an updated tutorial on my blog CopperGlassAndRecycledTrash.blogspot.com and it could easily be printed and you don't have to read this whole thread to get all the info.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2011-11-15 at 12:35am.
Old 2011-11-15, 6:26am
grama punky - class junky

Thank you for posting this!

Old 2011-11-15, 7:11am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
I have some of the silk sari ribbon and unless it comes wider it wouldn't work because the strips aren't wide enough to serge without ending up having a shoe lace width string when you are finished. To bad because the colors are amazing.

BTW I have put an updated tutorial on my blog CopperGlassAndRecycledTrash.blogspot.com and it could easily be printed and you don't have to read this whole thread to get all the info.
Okay! Thanks! I was looking on etsy last night and convo'd a seller and she said that most of her sari ribbons are 1" wide or wider! YAY!
Old 2011-11-15, 7:14am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by debkauz View Post
Try onion skins! They make a really nice color.
I just found this thread today and I've been reading the whole thing in one swoop and I couldn't wait to get to the end so I could suggest the onion skins! They really are a gorgeous color...I did easter eggs with them on year.

Going back through to get to the rest of the posts but I can tell you I'm already trying to figure out what it will take to bribe my mom into serging the silk for me. I don't want to do that part. LOL
~~Mary

Old 2011-11-15, 7:20am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I just found this thread today and I've been reading the whole thing in one swoop and I couldn't wait to get to the end so I could suggest the onion skins! They really are a gorgeous color...I did easter eggs with them on year.

Going back through to get to the rest of the posts but I can tell you I'm already trying to figure out what it will take to bribe my mom into serging the silk for me. I don't want to do that part. LOL
~~Mary
I used onion skins on Easter eggs one year, too!

Yeah, it's exciting to think about making your own but, my serger scares me. LOL
Old 2011-11-15, 8:21am
plays with fire

Oh dear, another project (don't tell my hubby!). Just placed order with Dharma and doing happy dance because Hobby Lobby opened near here just a few months ago Time for a road trip! Oh and thanks for the tip on the HL coupon - found one on their site
Old 2011-11-16, 8:21am

If you are going to do it go big or go home get all the colors of dye or you will be frustrated once you start.

What color do the onion skins dye? I have to try it now thanks for the tip.

Old 2011-11-16, 8:32am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I am going to try the sari silk. It's wide enough and already dyed. I need to ease myself in. I am running out of storage in my studio.
Old 2011-11-16, 11:19am

I just happened to look at Sari fabrics yesterday. Every time I checked the fabrics were all polyester. Boo Hiss.
Joan