Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-08-17, 7:39am

Cool Anybody have a Frit Crusher?

First... Can you drop liquid boro into water and get small frit?

I just need to crush down about 4 rods of Carmel Luster to "small" frit. I've tried using a hammer, etc. and nothing I have works. If you have a plastic jar and a frit crusher and can mail me the results I'll happily drop ship you the glass plus a two rods of your choosing. Oh, and I will pay your postage.

I'm definitely in no rush.

Thanks,

Lori

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LampworkbyLori; 2010-08-17 at 7:57am.
Old 2010-08-17, 9:49am
Curmudgeon Engineering

What with the waste in doing your own frit (needing 'small' frit size) and the cost of the shipping back and forth why not just buy pre screened frit as there are so many sales on at the moment...like 35% to 50% off at various places.
PJH
Old 2010-08-17, 10:02am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Glass Alchemy sells GA388 Carmel Luster in rod form but apparently not in frit form. I've looked for it and have not been able to locate any. I do believe that there is a thread on here about making your own frit (which is not recommended, but when you need it, you look to do the American thing, which is to improvise and make your own).

Old 2010-08-17, 10:08am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Yeah! I just tried to find it also so I guess GA doesn't make it in frit.

There have been several threads both here and on Wet Canvas on making a frit crusher. Reasonably cheap and easy to do; but then you need to screen it to various sizes. PITA.

Perhaps there is another brand/color that will substitute?

PJH
Old 2010-08-17, 10:19am

I found a link on this site to people talking about homemade frit
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=homemade+frit
I've just bashed a few rods with a hammer to get chunks before but that was just to get odd sizes and not really "frit"
good luck!
Laura
Old 2010-08-17, 10:27am

I have this frit separator and it works well.
http://www.vicartglass.com/products/masterartisan.htm

Old 2010-08-17, 10:59am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Cynthia,

Do you get even frit with that one? I have a small frit crusher but i always end up with 1 part being powder while the remaining is still not a grain 38 ( to talk in boro sizes )

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-08-17, 11:26am
Did someone say SALE?

Lori, I have a small frit crusher I could bring to the next islaga meeting, but it doesn't give consistent sizes... and I don't have a separator. Lmk!
Old 2010-08-17, 12:17pm

I have a frit crusher. I was thinking about making and selling them but never got around to it. I have the besty luck with pounding a few times, then sifting with window screen. Put the powder away. Pick the chunks out that need recrushing and recrush. Save the remaining portion.

Old 2010-08-17, 5:13pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
Glass Alchemy sells GA388 Carmel Luster in rod form but apparently not in frit form. I've looked for it and have not been able to locate any. I do believe that there is a thread on here about making your own frit (which is not recommended, but when you need it, you look to do the American thing, which is to improvise and make your own).
use butterscotch.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-08-17, 5:52pm

That frit sifter looks pretty dang cool.
I pour it all into a coffee filter. I think hot glass into water makes the most consistent size frit. But probably not as small as you are looking for.

ETA: Opps. I didn't realize I was in the boro room. I just read the title in "new posts".... Would it be different with boro to put the hot glass into water? My instinct says it's the same.

Last edited by mini; 2010-08-17 at 5:54pm.
Old 2010-08-17, 6:00pm
BeadsonCypress

Yeah, heat the rod. flatten it out, stick it in a bucket of water. Drain, dry viola....frit!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-17, 6:08pm

I do get even frit because of the graduated mesh. It works pretty good. I only wish I had a better crusher. I don't really know what grain 38 is. I would have to look it up. I do get powder, but I also get three other sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Cynthia,

Do you get even frit with that one? I have a small frit crusher but i always end up with 1 part being powder while the remaining is still not a grain 38 ( to talk in boro sizes )

Old 2010-08-17, 7:36pm
Borovangelist

I just made one with some black iron tubing and a couple of caps. Usually I just buy it for the sake of getting consistent sizes, but if you need something in particular in a hurry, it's easy enough to DIY.

Just make sure you use a respirator.

|
|
Old 2010-08-17, 8:17pm

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I found someone with all the power I need! Yay!
Old 2010-08-17, 8:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I do get even frit because of the graduated mesh. It works pretty good. I only wish I had a better crusher. I don't really know what grain 38 is. I would have to look it up. I do get powder, but I also get three other sizes.
I think 38 means it falls through a 38 per sq inch grid. It is about the same as the size you get from like Val or Robin.

Old 2010-08-17, 11:19pm
Harold Williams Cooney

friends don't let friends make frit.

Old 2010-08-18, 5:45am
ManBearPig

I have a frit crusher, but I never use it. More trouble than its worth.

And, if you are making frit out of the new Caramel Luster, I wouldn't bother. There are several other colors that look just like it. If it's the old Caramel Luster, I would hang onto it. That was one of my favorite colors until they changed it. Now I never use it. It's so boring now...

Old 2010-08-18, 7:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
friends don't let friends make frit.

Old 2010-08-18, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

And, if you are making frit out of the new Caramel Luster, I wouldn't bother. There are several other colors that look just like it. If it's the old Caramel Luster, I would hang onto it. That was one of my favorite colors until they changed it. Now I never use it. It's so boring now...
i agree, i have one and if some needs one let me know. it is for sale just not posted.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2010-08-18, 8:09am
old fart

i posted this a long time ago, but i still use it to this day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...t=frit+crusher

Old 2010-08-18, 10:30am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

*ucking caramel luster. wtf. *sigh* of all the things in life that piss me off, the whole caramel luster thing is right up there. the 'new old' CL is . . . not even similar to the old old.

butterscotch. close-ish.

Old 2010-08-18, 10:39am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
Yeah, heat the rod. flatten it out, stick it in a bucket of water. Drain, dry viola....frit!
I do this but I also reheat the "lolly pop" flattened gather, before plunging into cold water. Loren Stump shows this lollypop method for his paperweights. Can make some nice personal blends and fairly consistant.

Old 2010-08-18, 7:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofilia View Post
I do this but I also reheat the "lolly pop" flattened gather, before plunging into cold water. Loren Stump shows this lollypop method for his paperweights. Can make some nice personal blends and fairly consistant.
Sorry, but while this works really well for softglass, it doesn't do that great for boro. I gave up on making my own boro frit after trying multiple methods. It is just too much of a hassle, and not very healthy. If you really must have a special frit made, I would contact the folks at eplanetglass.com. Their grading is pretty good, and I always use them if I am looking for a non standard frit.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-08-23, 8:35pm
Skeptical Optimist

I use a coffee grinder, but I have a pipe crusher the hubby made for me The pipe method gets metal bits in it though, and I just have to use a magnet to screen it out.

I've had my Caramel Luster for like 3 years, when was the change???

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2010-08-24, 8:21am
Enjoying Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkLori View Post
Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I found someone with all the power I need! Yay!
Did they come from LE? Maybe you could send them my way too?

~ SRA #T62
Old 2010-08-24, 9:46am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post
I use a coffee grinder, but I have a pipe crusher the hubby made for me The pipe method gets metal bits in it though, and I just have to use a magnet to screen it out.

Not sure. The new Caramel Luster is almost clear in rod form, much like Amber/Purple. All it does is turn tan when you work it.

The old stuff looks sort of like Butterscotch or Silver Strike 3 in rod form. That's the good stuff. I used to use that all the time. Wish I could find some now...

Old 2010-08-24, 11:02am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdCreations View Post

The rare earth magnets are awesome for pulling stuff out of the frit. You basically wave a small stack of them close over the glass like a magic wand.

|
|
Old 2010-08-24, 1:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
The rare earth magnets are awesome for pulling stuff out of the frit. You basically wave a small stack of them close over the glass like a magic wand.
If you put the magnets inside a sandwhich baggie and then do it, the metal won't get stuck permanently to the magnets. Just makes clean up a bit easier. Oh, and it isn't a bad idea to do this to check each container of frit you buy. I have purchased frits from both GA and Northstar that have been loaded with metal bits. I cleaned the frit from GA since it was only a 4 oz container, but Northstar replaced their frit since I had purchased a whole pound of it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Last edited by e. mort; 2010-08-24 at 1:07pm. Reason: afterthought
Old 2010-08-24, 1:47pm
ManBearPig

I just leave the metal in it. Gives my work a little extra "bling"...