Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-10-24, 7:42pm
Sheryll

Default Oxy Con Adapter for Benzomatic Torch?

Hi Everyone,
My husband is trying to do some metal brazing with a Benzomatic, Model - OX2550KC torch. He's wondering if there's some way to be able to use my oxygen concentrator for the oxygen - he's just going through oxygen bottles faster then he drinks beer. Is there some sort of adapter or connector that he can use? This would help save time and $$$. Thanks so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-24, 9:53pm

How much oxygen is in one of the small bottles? And, how long does it take to use one up?

With that info, you can determine the oxygen 'flow rate' to the torch, and compare that to your oxycon.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-10-24, 10:08pm
Sheryll

Hi Malcolm,
He says there's 1.1 cu ft of O2 in a small bottle and he goes through that in ~15 minutes.

Huh? Not sure if its due to sleep deprivation (see family room thread) but I don't get it. Would there be an adapter that he can use for the torch to use the oxycon?

Old 2010-10-24, 10:26pm
Alaska Boro

The common medical concentrators output oxygen in the range of 5 to 9 psi. Some of the units that are made specifically for lampworking can have higher output pressures. What is the pressure that is available from the present Benzomatic?

If the system is in use that much, one suggestion would be to upgrade to something a bit more on the industrial side (welding) with larger tanks that will better fit your needs. Some used items at reasonable prices can be found, at times, on Graig's List.
Old 2010-10-25, 7:31am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
The common medical concentrators output oxygen in the range of 5 to 9 psi. Some of the units that are made specifically for lampworking can have higher output pressures. What is the pressure that is available from the present Benzomatic?

If the system is in use that much, one suggestion would be to upgrade to something a bit more on the industrial side (welding) with larger tanks that will better fit your needs. Some used items at reasonable prices can be found, at times, on Graig's List.
Agreed....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-10-30, 9:10am
PyronamixK

Well, 1.1 CF per 1/4 hour is 4.4 CFH (cubic feet per hour). That is roughly 2 LPM. So, flow-wise, your concentrator would be able to run it. I haven't done any brazing with a Benzomatic, so I don't know if it requires a high psi to deliver the oxygen. It's worth a try.

If you have a concentrator with the threaded metal outlet, that outlet fits the b-fitting of a 1/4" ID green oxygen hose. I don't know what size hose he uses with his torch. It might be smaller. He could probably get an adaptor at the welding supply store.
Old 2010-10-30, 12:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

This the torch set in question. And by its design does NOT lend itself (very well) to modifications...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-30 at 5:11pm.
Old 2010-10-30, 4:24pm
PyronamixK

How would that be any less adaptable than the Hot Head torch?

Does it require a high pressure from the tank to function correctly? I wouldn't think that it would need the high velocity like the Hot Head does to draw in room air for combustion since it is using oxygen, but again, I have never used this torch so I don't know.

Interesting. If it is indeed set up so that it cannot be run any other way (and it looks like they sell the fuel and oxygen canisters to support that need, so maybe it is a synergistic setup), then your husband might be better off buying a different torch that could run from a larger oxygen tank or a concentrator. Even the propane would go quickly if you were limited to those little canisters. He might do better to use a larger tank and longer lines.
Old 2010-10-31, 8:54pm

The thread on those tanks is 1-20 LH. You would need a 1-20 LH to nipple fitting.

I have done quite a bit of brazing with my national 3a. I like to use a lot more than 2lpm, so I think your husband would like the extra oxygen. If he does a lot of this, you might consider getting a National 3a. Both of you can use it for glass and metal. I would recommended the OX-3 tip for both of your uses.