No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-13, 6:02pm
I think I could be a bead

Default Troubles with blowing shards

There are 2 excellent tutorials here, and I have read and reread both of them. I have only blown one good set of shards, and that was the first set that I tried. Now, each time I try to blow shards, I get a blowout on the side somewhere and very thick glass shards because I can't go any further with the blowing. I've tried to repair the holes, but that doesn't work. On the up side, I am getting a lot of very pretty frit out of these efforts. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried to follow the directions very carefully. I am using a Hot Head torch. I put my finger over the mandrel hole for little bits of time, and I try to use short puffy breaths that aren't too strong. Can anyone give me some help with this? Thanks in advance.

Mallory
rosebud101
Old 2007-04-13, 6:18pm
More ideas than talent

I finally managed to successfully blow some shards about three or four weeks ago when I dramatically reduced the amount of glass I was trying to blow (I'm sure I'm going to regret that sentance). I found about a pea sized lump of glass worked well for me.

I'm sure you'd be rotating your mandrel slowly while your blowing as well. For me I also found just blowing lightly and steadily rather than puffs worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-13, 7:47pm

Does anyone have a link to these tutorials handy? I've been trying to figure out how to blow my own shards and failing miserably!
Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-13, 8:19pm
More ideas than talent

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ghlight=shards

Old 2007-04-13, 8:44pm

Thanks!

Old 2007-04-13, 10:47pm

I have never worked on a Hothead, but when I do shards, I have found that the glass needs to be hotter than you think before you try and blow. Small puffs, continually turning the blowpipe or boro tube while you blow. If your glass is thicker on one side it means the glass wasn't centered when you started to blow.

I agree that a smaller gather to start is good. Keep trying and you will get the hang of these. It taught me allot about reading heat of my glass.

Have fun and continue to practice!

Jolene
Old 2007-04-14, 10:54am

Thanks for the input. I tried again this AM, and guess what, I blew a hole again! Yikes! I will keep trying. I love the look of beads with shards. Thanks.

Mallory
Old 2007-04-14, 3:27pm
More ideas than talent

I gave up building a hollow on the end and just put a pea sized lump on the end of the tube.

Old 2007-04-14, 6:01pm

How many times are you heating your gather and letting it condense? I found that the problem Iwas having was that the wall was thinner on one side. I need to heat the gather to a real glow and then puff it up slightly at least 4 times to make sure the walls are even.
Old 2007-04-14, 9:07pm
Floral Obsessed

I don't condense... it seems to complicated for me. I build a small, fat-walled hollow on the end of the mandrel, and heat it with the open tip of the hollow mandrel pointing down. Hot air won't escape if it has to go down (in my experience, anyway!), so the hollow doesn't collapse. I get it GLOWING red hot, spinning regularly, then lift the open end to my mouth - keeping the glass end higher than the open end - and blow extremely gently and slowly for a second, then spin, then breathe in gently again, spin, then breath, getting a little stronger with each breath as the glass cools. I can get really nice, thin shards this way with minimal stress. Hope this works for other people - it's so satisfying when you see that bubble grow. And then you get to smash it!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-04-15, 4:41am

Wow! I didn't know you were supposed to condense. I'll try that, too. Wendy, I'll try your technique, too. I thought you meant you built it up. I'll just try putting glass on the end. Heather, I'll try your technique, too. I didn't realize that there were so many great ideas out there and different ways to blow shards. Thank you, all, very much. After all, today is another day!

Mallory
Old 2007-04-15, 8:19am
Floral Obsessed

I went and tried shards again last night to refresh my memory, and it worked great. The only thing I'll edit is that once you've got your coiled gather red-hot and smooth, and you've removed it from the flame, you should spin with the tube against your lips (not that hard unless your lips are really dry!) and pointed up. Wait 2 seconds (while spinning), then breath out (while spinning) in an EXTREMELY gentle, continuous puff. Don't stop and start like I described in my first post. If just one section puff out thinly, stop blowing but keep a pressure seal on the tube. After 1 second, blow again and the thin part should have solidified. You might get a rounder result if you condense a few times, but for shards it doesn't really matter. For blown vessels or ornaments it would, of course.

Definitely keep the glass at an upward angle (say, 45 degrees) while blowing. If it's pointed down, there's a chance a stray drop of spit could flow towards the hot end of the tube, turn to steam and burn your lips. It's also easier to control if it's up.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-04-15, 10:50am
Crazy Snake Lady

Have you ever used the super elastic bubble plastic - that stinky stuff you blow with a straw...? I do my shards like that. I tried making a hollow on the end of a mandrel but that didn't work for me. I found that winding a small amount of glass on the end and then rolling a shaping it on a graphite plate worked best. Make sure to shape it evenly then heat it until it's glowing slightly but not drippy. Take it out of the heat and puff and turn. Sometimes I have to really blow but that's because I don't get it super hot. If it's really hot and flowing, that's when I get blowouts.

Just my two cents...
Old 2007-04-16, 7:21am

Well, at last, a small measure of success. Of the 2 tries, I had one set become shards. The rest of the glass became beautiful frit! I love all of my new frit, but I would enjoy more shards, too. Thanks for all your help. I guess that I have to keep on trying.

Mallory
Old 2017-03-24, 10:27am
Lifelong Student

I'd love to see Jennifer's tutorial but the link no longer works. Anyone willing to repost it?
Old 2017-03-24, 3:44pm

Norma you out bring it up on the Wayback machine website. Just copy and paste her webpage on it.

Becky
Old 2017-03-24, 10:19pm

Norma, I think I might have noticed it on pinterest.
Old 2017-03-24, 10:26pm

I just checked and it IS on pinterest!
Old 2017-03-25, 12:07am
Lifelong Student

thanks...Ill go check it out
Old 2017-03-29, 8:58pm
Lifelong Student

I tried the method that adds a gather of glass to the end of the mandrel. It worked great! I was successful in all three attempts.