Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-11, 9:08pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Default Opal Yellow - Why PerfectDeb should love it!

New thread for PerfectDeb... tell her why she should love Opal Yellow!
Post a tip, a pic, a tip and pic... whatchu got??

Here's mine:
You can put frit (like Reichenbach 96) on it without it getting the yucky dark outline like the way ivory does... Raku, DH Psyche, and I even love it under Rubino Oro (Gold Pink). It's my base color for a lot of my beads... It's different from batch to batch and some times it gets lovely pink blush like Nikki posted... and sometime it just stays a nice non-reactive ivory (ish) color... Try it! You'll like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:19pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Opal yellow should be a main staple in everyone's glass pantry. It does all sorts of great things. Plus if you are stuck and just don't know what color to add to any bead, chances are, you can use OP and it will look great.
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:20pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Purr-fect color for lions!

I opal yellow!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:22pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Ha ha, I copied and pasted my first post from a bathroom post... Nikki had posted some cutie patootie beads where the opal yellow had blushed a wonderful shade of pink.

Old 2010-04-11, 9:51pm
Unmedicated since '62

the one i made last night i used opal yellow, dark topaz and triton - its interesting

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-04-11, 9:55pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hmmmm... now I must do this:

Old 2010-04-11, 9:58pm

I would love to see your bead.

I love Opal Yellow and use it almost daily. I love all the pinks I can get out of it when struck. It looks great with copper green and red copper green. Two of the beads in my banner below are made with those colors on an Opal Yellow base.

Keep working with it....you'll fall in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
the one i made last night i used opal yellow, dark topaz and triton - its interesting

Pandora, Biagi, Troll, and more, bead sets, and focals.

Old 2010-04-11, 9:59pm
"Sinners have soul too"

And that goes for me as well... so here ya go:

This one is OY with raku powder and violet pastel stringer

This one is OY with Reichenbach powders and OY stringer

Old 2010-04-11, 11:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

of all the glass i've used so far triton is my fav - i'm down to half a rod - i even pick up all the stringer ends and squish them together

Old 2010-04-11, 11:28pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Triton is good! I do the same thing pickin' up the bits and melting in the stringer ends... and I have boxes of DH...

Old 2010-04-11, 11:29pm
Unmedicated since '62

deb (pierces*designs) sent me a little pack of reduction frit so i'll have to try that with OY

Old 2010-04-11, 11:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

i had it in the back of my head that OY was reactive the same as ivory so thats why i tried the triton - it looks good but there is no reaction

so from what i gather so far i have to try the colours with copper in them - turquoise, petroleum green etc

Old 2010-04-12, 12:20am
one day at a time

Yep, you can use it with frit:

Old 2010-04-12, 1:31am
Unmedicated since '62

ok, OY with dark topaz stripes, triton dots with ivory dots on top
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-12, 4:18am
sunscreen me baby

It's a pretty flower petal encased in bordello:
Attached Images

~

Old 2010-04-12, 7:03am
Ellyloo-YAH!

yes, Raku likes it. I love the way they work together.
this was intense black, opal yellow, raku twistie on top of opal yellow base.

Old 2010-04-12, 8:01am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I use it under all my tibet and transcendental. It really brings out the colors!

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-04-12, 8:38am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

These are all beautiful! I have OY in my shop but I've never used it before. I will now.

I think you should move this thread to the Gallery where more people can see it!
Old 2010-04-12, 9:35am

I love OY. Seriously.

I have tons more pics but these are my favs I think. OY is a reaction enabler.

Old 2010-04-12, 9:44am
Dangerous Woman

Classic combo - OY copper green and EDP.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-04-12, 10:06am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

It makes frit sing--

Old 2010-04-12, 10:18am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Hmmm...havent tried it with frit yet but I will have to after seeing the pics on here...beautiful!

Here's my focal:

Janet

Old 2010-04-12, 11:32am
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i had it in the back of my head that OY was reactive the same as ivory so thats why i tried the triton - it looks good but there is no reaction

so from what i gather so far i have to try the colours with copper in them - turquoise, petroleum green etc
I wouldn't say "reactive" like ivory but it does "do something"... it really helps to make the silver glasses "pop"... and colors like copper green and rubino really like it as well.

Deb I love your bead with the Triton and topaz... it's beautiful even if it's not what you were really looking for

Old 2010-04-12, 1:27pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I like to think of OY as a striking colour.
At first, i was all stressed out trying to get the colour because it was so washed out, but as soon as I put it out of my mind and worked on other things, it blushed right pretty.

Old 2010-04-12, 1:43pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
And that goes for me as well... so here ya go:

This one is OY with raku powder and violet pastel stringer
Oh, YUM.

do you have raku powder in your shop?...
Old 2010-04-12, 1:48pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal View Post
Oh, YUM.

do you have raku powder in your shop?...
I believe I just got some in... I usually do.

Old 2010-04-12, 1:50pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
At first, i was all stressed out trying to get the colour because it was so washed out, but as soon as I put it out of my mind and worked on other things, it blushed right pretty.
That's what happened to me... same with raku and some of the other stuff that needs to be struck. I decided I didn't care if it did or didn't do it's thing and now it almost always does

Old 2010-04-12, 1:56pm

OY does nice things with Psyche too.

These are all Psyche over OY, just treated dufferently.

The front one is my favorite, struck in a very high HH flame right at the end makes the psyche bloom beautifully. The OY turns a beautiful toasty brown inbetween.

Old 2010-04-12, 5:43pm
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
Last time I played with it, I discovered it was a slightly oxidising flame which would make it blush - or reducing can't remember which. Can't play with it again for another few weeks since I am torchless while I am in NZ.

Old 2010-04-12, 8:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Classic combo - OY copper green and EDP.
Yup, classic. I like how the EDP and OY react to form an orange section.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook: