Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-02, 9:19am
Glass Addict

Default Olympia Rain...Yeah, I know - not again!

I understand the elusivity of this glass and in my research, I am not clear if it is regularly produced by DH and sells out or if it gone forever, can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

P.S. Just realized I posted in the wrong forum - yikes~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-02, 9:32am
Storm Queen

It was one of DH's first glass colors and then they discontinued it. They came out with Aion which was suppose to be similar and better than OR...but in my opinion it's nothing like OR. OR is one of my favorites and I have a decent stash of it but I can't seem to put it away lately. I'm a bit concerned as to how long my stash will last.

Old 2007-10-02, 10:17am

Same here.

|
|
|
Old 2007-10-02, 10:25am
Glass Addict

Kinda sad.... Thanks for the response Ladies and Sarah - I sent you a sappy email! (I talked about my Dad and my wish list of places to visit being Tel Aviv).....

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-02, 10:27am
Storm Queen

Sarah, I think that there may be enough of us that like OR so that when we run out we can ask DH to do a special run for us...at least that's my hope.

Old 2007-10-02, 10:39am

Oh, I wish. I don't like Aion.

Thanks Michele... I'll get back to you soon

|
|
|
Old 2007-10-02, 10:42am
disco granola punk

I bought some Aion and I haven't gotten the results I expected. I've never tried OR, I'm too new to lampworking.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2007-10-02, 7:42pm
Catnip Pusher

I'm another OR lover - my stash is almost gone.

Aion doesn't do much for me, I don't think of it as an acceptable alternative to OR. R4's Da Vinci seems to be a closer match (for me!).

Aimee
Old 2007-10-02, 8:20pm
Storm Queen

Da Vinci is the closest but it's still not the same.

Old 2007-10-03, 5:50am

I totally agree - I think we should ask them for a special run. It's my absolute favorite and always has been. When they discontinued it, even though I was on their site all the time and paying attention, I still didn't know they were about to stop making it. I could have got some odds and decided to wait a day. What a mistake! GONE FOREVER! I think I have 1/2 or 3/4 lbs and it's like gold. You know when you become afraid to use it? Some days I say screw it, and do it anyway, and then I feel guilty! How bad is that?

And Aion is NOT a good substitute! While I like it, it's not even close to OR.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-10-25, 3:10pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Default Olympia Rain Revisited

I had no idea so many of you liked Olympia Rain so much better than Aion2. I thought Aion2 was a more cooperative glass. When I get time after the Terranova / Luna run, I will be running Aion2 again. I'll see if I can squeeze in a test pot of Olympia Rain Revisited. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Jed at Double Helix
Old 2007-10-25, 3:19pm
Storm Queen

Honestly you'll probably have a stampede. I'd love to pre-order a couple of pounds of it so I know I'm getting some. I've been using up rod after rod the last few weeks.

Old 2007-10-25, 3:20pm
Storm Queen

Or just send me a rod of the test batch and I'll let you know if it's a good one. I have so many different batches of OR from so many different people and some of it isn't the real good OR.

Old 2007-10-25, 3:27pm
Dichro Addict

I have some OR that I never tried. I guess I'll give it a try. If I don't like it I'll let you guys know. I know I don't have much, but it's just sitting there.

Old 2007-10-25, 5:15pm
Catnip Pusher

I'll be right there with you Amy! I like Olympia Rain SO much better than Aion!!

You could put me down for at least a pound!

Aimee
Old 2007-10-25, 6:25pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
I had no idea so many of you liked Olympia Rain so much better than Aion2. I thought Aion2 was a more cooperative glass. When I get time after the Terranova / Luna run, I will be running Aion2 again. I'll see if I can squeeze in a test pot of Olympia Rain Revisited. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Jed at Double Helix
My hero!

Old 2007-10-25, 7:31pm
Glass Addict

That would be AWESOME Jed!!!! I would buy at least 5 pounds!

Old 2007-10-25, 8:10pm
Life is change. Love it

Jed, I would love some more OR. It was the first silver glass I ever used and I loved the results. Aion just doesn't do it for me!

Old 2007-10-25, 9:14pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captured Light Glass View Post
That would be AWESOME Jed!!!! I would buy at least 5 pounds!
Seriously, that's $500! Just an FYI, most people didn't care for OR. But there is a group of us that think it's one of the best silver glasses out there. I think it's my favorite silver glass with Nyx a close second.

Old 2007-10-25, 10:50pm
I speak Murrini!

If there's another OR run, I'm IN for sure! Jed, are you starting a "wish" list or "waiting" list? I don't want to miss it...!

Thanks,
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-10-26, 6:21am
Glass Addict

Yup and worth every penny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Seriously, that's $500! Just an FYI, most people didn't care for OR. But there is a group of us that think it's one of the best silver glasses out there. I think it's my favorite silver glass with Nyx a close second.

Old 2007-10-26, 6:53pm
Plays with Fire

Yea Jed!!! I've only had one rod of the stuff to play with and it is easily my favorite!
I'd love to see more!
Jen
Old 2007-10-26, 6:58pm
Just Plain

I'm hoarding the little bit I've got left, too. Count me in!

Old 2007-10-26, 7:05pm
High Maintenance

I have OR and the original Kronos and those of you who can get something from it my hat is off to you. I am thinking of putting what I have in the garage sale. I'm sick of getting mud.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:32pm

I started making beads after OR was already out of production (I think) so I never got to even try it! I wouldn't want to buy it if it was a bad batch though. After testing to make sure it was good, then I would say I'm in!
Old 2007-10-26, 9:43pm
Storm Queen

I'm afraid Jed is going to have a bit of a stampede on his hands. I think OR should just be brought back ....period.

Old 2007-10-26, 10:13pm
make beads not war

I have a small stash of OR... can someone give me the hints on how to work it? I've never touched it...
Old 2007-10-27, 4:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm afraid Jed is going to have a bit of a stampede on his hands. I think OR should just be brought back ....period.
YES!!! I'm IN!

|
|
|
Old 2007-10-31, 3:50am

I'm totally in, too! Jed, if you leave me out, I'll be pissed!!!

Thanks so much for doing this! That's why your silver glass is the ONLY silver glass buy. You guys are da bomb!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-10-31, 6:12am

please put me on the list for this glass also.!!I am out.

STOP to see my new etsy shop!