LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-02, 6:35am

Default Etching Question

Anybody have a good source for some etching solution? I really want the old kind - can't remember the name (maybe EtchAll?) - but it was clear, looked like water, that got a little cloudy with use. All I seem to find now is a thicker muddy brown looking substance that doesn't give anything like the great etching surface the old stuff did. Thanks for any assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/url][/url]
Old 2014-09-02, 7:24am

The only etching solution I've used that is close to clear is the etching crystals from Arrow Springs. It comes dry and you mix it with hot or boiling water, and it's sort of clear once mixed. Is that what you're thinking of? The different etch-all solutions I've used are as you described, sort of brownish.

Mimi
Old 2014-09-02, 10:49am

There is dip n etch which is slightly clear on first use and slowly turns murky brown after using it a few times.
Old 2014-09-02, 11:08am
Playing with Fire!

Jack Frost was the best old school one, but has not been sold to the general public in the last 20 years... Because of it's strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2014-09-03, 4:28am

My dip-n-etch was yellowy clear to start with, now cola coloured. Possibly you've been seeing bottles that have been sitting around for a while?

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-09-03, 10:47am

I am not sure if it was sat around but it was definitely clear, and it got shaken up too when zi poured it into a different container...I only bought it about three weeks ago.
Old 2014-09-04, 6:20am

Bearyboo - sooooo where'd you get it and what's it called???

[/url][/url]
Old 2014-09-04, 6:46am
Glass-aholic

Arrow springs has a great etching suction. It's shipped in crystal form and you add hot water to it. (In a well ventilated area.) it works so good!!! I do suggest making 1/2 the solution vs a whole batch so you have some room in the container to put your beads. Other than that I love it. And it's a good price. Lasts a really long time. Perfect etch every time

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-09-04, 5:51pm

In addition to what AS sells, I have had great results from Vari-Etch from HIS Glassworks. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2014-09-04, 7:03pm
addicted to dichro

I always get the etchall from Frantz, it seems to be the same stuff I had 10 years ago. It always turns yellow then brown after a while but continues to work fine.

Old 2014-09-05, 6:56pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I use the Etch-All from Frantz too. It's almost clear when it's new then turns brown the more you use it.