Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-13, 10:57am
Bad Cat Glass

Default Torch Troubles

My torch has been having trouble sustaining a flame. I have a minor with an oxygen concentrator for a couple of years, and they have always worked just fine. When I light the torch the propane seems normal, but when I add the oxygen, the flame breaks up and goes out even before I can get the oxygen turned on very far. The oxygen concentrator is usually set so that when it's turned on, it's between four and five lbs of pressure, but I can't turn it on past two and it seems to "blow" the oxygen out. Nothing in my set-up has changed, although I work in my garage, and it has been pretty chilly. I have a heater and the kiln also throws some heat. I've cleaned the torch head and have a fresh container of propane, so it's not that. The pressure gauges all show the normal amounts they have shown in the past. Anyone want to take a stab at this? I'd really appreciate it if someone can figure it out. Otherwise, I'll call the oxygen concentrator dealer tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Thanks!
Old 2009-12-13, 11:14am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

it sounds like your oxycon is bad - I believe the blowing out of your flame means it is pushing air and not oxy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-12-13, 3:11pm
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks Squid, That makes sense. I'm not sure what to do about it, but when I opened the windows really wide, it seemed to improve. Perhaps it just wasn't getting enough oxygen from the air that was there.
Old 2009-12-13, 3:38pm
bez

I had a similar problem last year and thought my natural gas was just lower pressure during the winter when usage was higher. I had the gas company guy over, and we picked up my torch and shook up the hoses, and what do you know, I have not had that problem since. I think there must have been something back in the hose or somewhere in my torch that was blocking the flow of the gas periodically.
Old 2009-12-14, 3:54pm
PyronamixK

Is your heater pointed at your concentrator? If it is, see if you can redirect it so that the concentrator is being fed cool air through the intake.

It sounds like a purity issue. It could be that your machine needs servicing. Or, it could be that the air feeding it is too hot - which would also produce poor purity.