Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-06, 3:50pm

Default Glow in the dark powder

Hi all,

It's been a while that I posted. I've been busy with school but I did manage to get a little torch time in these past few days. I was making a mushroom pendant that I encased in white glass. Kind of a "Shroom in an ice cave" theme. One of the things I wanted to do was make the shroom glow in the dark. Turns out just coating the surface of the stringer I pulled with the powder doesn't work once I make the shroom because it separates once you start pushing it in to the hot glass. I'm posting a picture of the product.

Do you guys have any suggestions about adhering the powder more strongly to the stringer? I'm worried about frying it if I heat the stringer too strongly with the powder on it. The powder is pretty expensive but doesn't seem to have a COE restriction so I'm not sure it is glass.

Harry

Old 2013-01-06, 4:14pm
Borovangelist

The powder itself isn't glass, so it needs to be thoroughly mixed into the glass. So make a paddle of clear, heat one side, coat with powder, then coat that with clear and mix it up really well.

One time, I was working some with boro and I had some in a tube, not realizing it wouldn't melt, and the tube blew out the bottom, I had the powder all over my bench. For that particular application I found mixing in some clear frit into the tube helped give it something to adhere to.

One thing I've found, glass tends to be a bit more brittle when mixed with glow powder, so be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2013-01-06, 5:22pm
Wonder-wench

^^ what Tom said

Old 2013-01-07, 6:59pm

Thanks all, I didnt know the powder wouldn't melt in. I guess I'll have to retink my prepwork for those stringers.

Harry
Old 2013-01-07, 7:56pm
Just Me!

I did not know that about glow powder.
Thanks for sharing that tidbit...........Val
Old 2018-06-08, 7:55am

Very helpful info!

Thanks