Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-07, 7:03pm

Default glass color

this is the color i was talking about can you help with the color?

I think i did it lets see
Olivia

Last edited by olivia; 2010-03-07 at 7:09pm.
Old 2010-03-07, 7:51pm
maybe tomorrow

It looks like River Rock to me. One of my very favorite colors, but it was a Vetrofond odd lot, so it's very hard to find, and very expensive when you do find someone willing to give it up. It's beautifully reactive with silver glasses. Kinda like ivory on steroids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-07, 8:01pm
as in the state

Do you know what maker it was?

It kind of looks like a Lauscha color to me--either Nuclear brownie or a darker Caramello rod.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-07, 8:01pm

One of the ASK colors. Silver rattan or silver cinnamon. I can't ever remember which one I use on ivory that looks like that. My rods aren't as dark though.

Old 2010-03-07, 8:07pm
maybe tomorrow

Is the rod completely opaque, or does it seem to be just very slightly translucent?

Old 2010-03-07, 8:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Raku possibly?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-07, 8:22pm
maybe tomorrow

On your bead, is it the base color, or the stringer design color?

Old 2010-03-07, 9:06pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
Do you know what maker it was?

It kind of looks like a Lauscha color to me--either Nuclear brownie or a darker Caramello rod.

-Amy
I agree with Lauscha. It always has those telltale rings near the melted end.

Old 2010-03-07, 9:23pm
Rose colored glasses…√

One of my ASK colors does that. Is it Moroccan Swirl that starts out kinda sorta blah green and then will get a lovely rainbow sheen kinda like silver plum?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-03-07, 9:38pm

Lauscha Buckhorn perhaps?

Old 2010-03-07, 9:42pm
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAG View Post
Lauscha Buckhorn perhaps?
Nuclear brownie and caramello are fancy names for some of the buckhorns.

The more I look at it, the more I think it is nuclear brownie. That color has some silver in it which would fume the ivory base a bit.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-07, 9:43pm

Default color

the color is the stringer color . the end of the rod sorta has a reddish or orange color to it. After it has been in the flame
thanks for all the help
Olivia
Old 2010-03-07, 9:49pm

Buckhorn was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the rod too (or carmello--just about the same thing, some different batches ) It's definitely one of the Lauscha "brownish" colors though--check out www.lauschalady.com Grace has some really nice pictures of the rods up on her colors page, with spacers too.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-07, 9:51pm
as in the state

My rods of caramello are lighter than the nuclear brownie. The caramello looks like baby poo, the nuclear brownie looks like dusty chocolate.

My spacers of the 2 glasses look identical. Hrmm...

I think you're right, different batches.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-07, 9:54pm

You can get different colors out of them depending on how you "cook" them (the lauscha browns seem to be strikers--kind of like the effetre corals )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-03-07, 9:56pm
as in the state

I was doing the 10 spacers on the same mandrel, so they really should have struck as I was keeping them all warm on there...

I will do more with them as I get my studio set up and going. I really like the nuclear brownie in rod form. I just wish it would have stayed that color for me!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-07, 11:32pm

I think sometimes one/both of those colors will turn *pink* if you work them a lot....(yeah, weird...) & they do odd things with/over other glasses as well (seems to me they like silver-glass...if I remember rightly...I haven't played with them in a while--I haven't had studio-cards & Lauscha is fussy about being "mixed" with other stuff if I'm batching) I think they may strike "lighter" rather than "darker"...but...it's also entirely possible I'm entirely wrong

Old 2010-03-07, 11:51pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

The rod looks exactly like my ASK silver cinnamon from the original batch. I've also done beads just like that and got the same reaction from the SC.
Old 2010-03-07, 11:51pm
as in the state

I've had the caramello turn pink on me. I made a heart out of it, and it had pinkish tones to it.

They must strike lighter than darker, if I was doing it right! Haha, not even trying to strike 'em, just wanted to keep them warm!

I think they do weird things because they have silver in them. Nuclear brownie does for sure. I will have to dig out the silver glass and see what the buckhorns do with that. I have a ton of them. =)

-Amy
Old 2010-03-08, 12:00am
Goddess

Looks like ASK Silver Cinnamon

Old 2010-03-08, 9:38am

thank you all so much for your help. It is so nice to get all this help
Olivia
Old 2010-03-08, 10:39am

Yeah, I think it's one of the caramel ASK colors. I do think the base of the bead might be river rock, but I think she's talking about the rod, which does not look like river rock to me.

Old 2010-03-08, 10:40am

Amy, I know what you're talking about! This is ASK silver cinnamon....look at the pinkish reaction to the right portion of the bead. I loved this color!!!

Old 2010-03-08, 10:46am

Wow Patti....I like the pink. Don't think I've ever gotten that with the ask colors.

I think the rod could be Lauscha Buckhorn with Silver or one of the Ask Colors. I'm guessing by the color of the rod that it's "Caramel Apple"...2nd choice would be Silver Cinnamon. It's hard to tell by the picture the exact color of the rod or the burnt end. Caramello from Lauscha can't be ruled out either.
Yea I know....no help at all~

Old 2010-03-08, 11:34am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Amy, I know what you're talking about! This is ASK silver cinnamon....look at the pinkish reaction to the right portion of the bead. I loved this color!!!

So you got pinks out of your silver cinnamon? It's looking like the ASK silver cinnamon and Lauscha caramello might be close to the same beast, then... That's what I was getting from the caramello.

Beautiful bead!!

-Amy
Old 2010-03-08, 5:24pm

Thank you all so much.
The base of the bead is Ivory. But now I want to try all the colors that are listed here.
Oh well there goes the $$$$$$
thanks again
Olivia
Old 2010-03-08, 5:28pm
Life is change. Love it

Good luck getting the ASK colours - they aren't made any more and haven't been for a while

Old 2010-03-08, 6:10pm

Very similar to "Buckhorn with Silver" (Lauscha) that I bought some time ago.
Although I have not experienced all the colors mentioned in this threat.

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Old 2010-03-08, 6:44pm
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroli View Post
Very similar to "Buckhorn with Silver" (Lauscha) that I bought some time ago.
Although I have not experienced all the colors mentioned in this threat.
That's also known as Nuclear Brownie.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-08, 8:31pm

I am in the Buckhorn With SIlver (Nuclear Brownie ) Camp.I don't recall the tell tale ring with the ASK colors. But I haven't used them in ages...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !