Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-12, 2:30pm
Madmanmarbles

Question NS double amber purple How to get Purple?

First off, I am a Newbe And Hello to anyone who reads this.

I am trying to get some colors out if this glass that look like the picture NS has for this glass. However the only color I can get looks just like the rod (yellowish brown) What am I going wrong? NS said to use a neutral flame. I have tried every flame I can think of. Oxidizing,reducting, neutral....( a hammer Haha!) If anyone can give this newbe a clue I would really be greatfullll... I am using the minor burner.

Thanks in advance... This has been a wonderful and usefull site to use already....
Joe
Old 2006-03-12, 2:37pm
Save the Numbats

Try rotating the piece slower to heat the color until the surface 'haze' disappears. Get the piece as hot as as possible, removing the silver on the surface with the flame and it should look like the rod you started with, and then strike to a nice purple in the kiln. This is one of the more tricky colors to do that with, it really likes to haze over!
Get used to doing this with Amber Purple or Triple Passion first and it should become easier to do it with Dbl. Amber Purple. 1070 for 10-20 minutes should strike it fine... You are kiln striking this, right?? If not, wait for it to cool down, so it's not glowing but still warm, then reintroduce it to the flame and it should strike quickly.
Old 2006-03-12, 2:49pm
one day at a time

I was having the same trouble with DAP, so thanks for the tip, Juln!
Old 2006-03-12, 5:22pm
McAfee Art Glass

Use an oxidizing flame until the haze is removed, do not overwork it after that, I strike in the kiln at 1100 about 30 mins or so depending on size, comes out with great purples

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-12, 7:39pm
boro color bender

Cook it! Get it hot enough that it goes super transparent. You need to set up the elements in the glass and get it primed for crystal growth... the only thing that does that is heat and lots of it. The haze will have been burned off in a neutral or oxydized flame by the time you get it set up. Let it cool below glow and then it will strike in the kiln between 1075 and 1125... start on the lower end and see what temp actually works in your kiln. All kilns are a little different. They have hot spots and read slightly different temps. This is my all time favorite color family... I've been messing with it for years and still have surprises every day. It's so much fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-15, 2:02am
borobucaneer

I agree with smiley, COOK IT!!
I sit my ap marbs in the back corner(seems hotter) And if it isn't dark enough when its cool I let it set another cycle.
Old 2006-03-16, 4:48pm
Madmanmarbles

Thanks for all the great information. I have had much better luck with it now and have gotten some better color. Trial and error and I'll get there with it.
Thanks Again...Joe