No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-05, 3:47pm
Lover of all things color

Default Working with Nessi Ice

I was one of the lucky ones that got a gift of Nessi Ice from Frantz in June with my purchase. I will have to admit that it took me awhile to figure out how to work with this one. But I finally discovered just today that it is a striking color.

I have some wonderful beads cooling right now. Photos in awhile. When you put it back in the flame after cooling it doesn't stay in for long, just long enough to get red with a bit of clouding. Then you get the most wonderful light blue and turquoise ice crystal looking structures in the glass. I sure hope that they get more of this new Effetre cool color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-05, 4:27pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for sharing Jan the tip on striking.
I was a lucky one too in June - it is pretty in rod form.
Please be sure to post some pictures

Old 2008-07-05, 4:53pm

Will do, now if I could just figure out how to make Rembrant work I would be happy. That stuff just turns to baby poo.....

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-05, 6:19pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Thank you for the hint! I had been wondering how to work it. This will save me a lot of time and, no doubt, frustration. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Old 2008-07-05, 6:40pm
Salt Box Beads

I didn't realize...were they running out of it quickly?

I just needed more glass and was trying to get my name pulled for the trip to Italy.

I placed two orders and got a free Nessi with each one. I also snagged a free Blue lagoon, Kiwi and a pound of free Bubblegum pink as gifts with purchases.

Well, now that you mention it, I guess I did do quite well on both of those orders.

Lorraine
Old 2008-07-05, 7:40pm
I speak Murrini!

MUST...SEE.....PICTURES!!!! It sounds amazing - can wait for the "show" now that you've ignited a fire with the "tell" part........HURRY!!!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-06, 4:31am

LOL...here is one from about a week ago before I realized it was a striking color. But you can't see the crystals on this one because I reduced it but you can see the pretty blues. More photos on the way.

When my beads cooled they were all different colors. I'm going to need to learn to control this one for sure.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-06, 4:46am

I'm seeing something else I don't like. I used the old Launscha clear to encase these beads and on the first few "swipes" the glass yellowed as it laid down. Ugly. I'm going to try encasing them with something different today. Also, it fumes the white. So, base bead will need to be another color. On most of these I used a transparent grass green.

The first one was over struck. Notice at the top of the fourth one how there are crystals that have formed, those happened very quickly. I think the trick is going to be controling these. Way cool

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-06, 8:25am
Glass-aholic

So nice!!!! WAy to go Jan!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-07-06, 12:25pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for posting the pics Jan
You have given some wonderful info.
Hopefully my new Auralens bi-focal glasses will be here soon so I can torch. I tried the other day and I just cannot see worth a dang!

Old 2008-07-07, 5:39pm
da General

Jan - do you mind posting pix of the Nessi rods? I am thoroughly confused. I don't believe any of the Effetre "Cool" Colors is a silver glass. . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-07, 8:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I'm seeing something else I don't like. I used the old Launscha clear to encase these beads and on the first few "swipes" the glass yellowed as it laid down. Ugly. I'm going to try encasing them with something different today. Also, it fumes the white. So, base bead will need to be another color. On most of these I used a transparent grass green.

The first one was over struck. Notice at the top of the fourth one how there are crystals that have formed, those happened very quickly. I think the trick is going to be controling these. Way cool

Lauscha clear does not fume beads. It must be something else in your mix or the way you are working.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-07-07, 10:15pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Jan - do you mind posting pix of the Nessi rods? I am thoroughly confused. I don't believe any of the Effetre "Cool" Colors is a silver glass. . .
I'm confused too, it looks like there's triton in your beautiful beads

Old 2008-07-08, 2:00pm

I didn't say that Lauscha fumed them. I said that the first swipe I laid down on the bead turned yellow. I tried to turn those areas away from the camera to get a better picture of the color.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-08, 2:07pm

Just to be clear, I was told this was a cool color that Frantz got that they didn't get enough of to sell. It doesn't really look like a cool color in the rod to me either. In fact, two rods are dark clear green and two are dark blue clear and one was kind of a mix. Love the color whatever it is and I want more!!!

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-08, 2:31pm
da General

Nessi was originally called Blue Lagoon but when Frantz put the original Ice up on its website, someone put Laguna Blue instead of Ice. So they have to rename the original Blue Lagoon to Nessi.

I got the original Blue Lagoon/Nessi from Mike when I was in Murano back in March. I also got the free Nessi Frantz was giving away last month. They look like your rods.

The glass in your bead looks like a reducing silver glass with its iridescence (I agree with Suzanne that it looks like Triton), especially since the white base beads were fumed. Striking glass, silver or not, doesn't usually fume white or ivory, reducing silver ones do.

You mentioned that you made more beads using Nessi, do you mind posting more pix and telling us what other glass you used with Nessi on the beads?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-07-08 at 2:37pm.
Old 2008-07-08, 2:33pm
da General

Here is the bead I made with Nessi for the flowers:

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-08, 2:39pm

Hayley, those are all the beads I have made from Nessi, it may be silvered but it did strike AND I can only go by what the label says. I couldn't remember how I ended up with it until PaulaD told me. I found it on the invoice as a gift.

The three in the middle were made with a med green base so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the yellowing. I can take a photo of that if you like, very strange reaction. I never did use a reducing flame so I don't know what to say.

I can see the blue and green in your flowers, really pretty. So, is this a cool color that you used or not?

Whatever the glass is, I like it. Really easy to strike.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-08, 2:48pm

Here is another example of the yellowing I got while encasing. I kept the bead under the flame and only had the clear in the flame while melting it.

You can also see the crystal formations, or they look like that to me anyway.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-08, 9:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Hayley, those are all the beads I have made from Nessi, it may be silvered but it did strike AND I can only go by what the label says. I couldn't remember how I ended up with it until PaulaD told me. I found it on the invoice as a gift.

I'd like to clarify that I never saw this glass. Jan mentioned to me in a p.m. or maybe it was an email that she had it (Nessi) and didn't know where it came from and I told her that Frantz was giving it away.

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-07-09, 7:51pm
Smooches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Here is the bead I made with Nessi for the flowers:

Wow Hayley - that's an awesome bead! So that's why you hosted the "Perfect Bead Exchange" - cause your bead is perfect!!!!!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-07-15, 6:56pm
Professional glob maker!

I haven't really got the Nessi to work right for me. It's just plain dark as heck green! lol I just got some new Lauscha Stardust blue and I am going to go for some purdy nessi flowers so lets hope it works!
Old 2008-07-15, 7:02pm
da General

Jess - put Nessi over a clear core or white . . . it's too dark on its own!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-16, 6:19pm
I know, I can't spell

Wow I wish I had some Nessi, I can't find it anywhere... I know the worlds saddist song... Well I will keep looking... it just looks stunning and I would love to try it. beautiful beads that are being made there....

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-07-16, 7:45pm
da General

Aleina - Frantz had it but was only giving Nessi away as free gift when you purchased Effetre, Vetrofond or CIM in June. Mike Frantz did mention that if he had left, he would probably sell the rest at the Gathering. Guess where I am heading to first when the Technical Vendors show opens?

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-17, 12:28am

Hey, thanks for the info! I got some of this glass too with my order, made a base bead with it, and didn't think it was anything special (I'm so out of the loop.) I'll try what Haley suggested and see what happens.
Angela