Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-05-25, 5:45pm

Default new studio finally almost finished

After over 4 years in my tiny studio, I have over doubled the size. My old studio is now a bathroom. My new studio is part of an addition we added to our home.

I was able to sit with an AC/Heat guy and design the perfect ventilation system for me. I have major respiratory problems and my old ventilation sounded like a jet engine about to take off. It sucked the air but made so much noise you could not talk over it.

Now I have 2 systems. One system brings in makeup air below the workstation and as a curtain of air in the hood. I feel just a little tickle of fresh air blanketing my face as I sit at the torch. I have two dampers so I can adjust the air flow to both locations. I was worried it would blow the flame but it does not cause a major flame fluctuation.

I also had the gas piped into the house. I have one major shut off valve where the gas comes into the house. Then I have a second shut off valve below the work station. I turn the gas on about 25 feet away out a sliding glass door.

I purchased the shelving units at Sams club. I have them bolted to the wall. I am not taking any chances on loosing my glass.......

I am not sure of the CFM but I know the AC guy has huge blower set up in the loft above my workstation. I am using the loft for storage. The second blower bringing in the air is in the big metal box and has a place to change the incoming air filter to keep my allergies from acting up as much..... We tried to think of everything.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-05-25, 6:24pm
passionate about pets

good for you....I bet you are excited!!!!

all i have left to do is get my ventilation set up and i know i am itching to get done......so i am sure you are just ready to get beading

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-25, 7:05pm

Well done!
I am in the process of building a studio and your ventilation system has given me some great ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-26, 6:32am

The ventilation is why I posted. It is a little overdone but my health required overkill so it would not kill me......

I was hoping this set up might give others ideas and help them with their set ups.
Maggie if I can help you just pm me

Old 2008-05-26, 6:41am
Crispy Critter

Fabulous set up!!!

Old 2008-05-26, 7:09am
Flamewoman

Beautiful setup! Great concept for return air, thanks for posting. I hope this inspires people to think about ventilation, it is important.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-05-26, 8:43am
Gentleman of Leisure

The final test is if you create some smoke (smoldering paper-chemical smoke) or incense or as another lamp worker suggested "sizzling bacon" , if system adequately draws off the smoke and odor you are probably good to go....

As for overall design and thoughtfulness it appears a lot of work and thought went into it... It looks first class. Even down to electrical grounding of gas line coming into studio...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-05-26 at 8:48am.
Old 2008-05-26, 9:23am

You noticed the grounding wire! The city had to come out and do a final for the gas and electrical and AC/ventilation system.

I have incense at my work station. You can even see the pink incense to the right of the creation station. I can adjust the airflow up and down for both systems and I test every time I make an adjustment. I can smell it a little for the first minute and then the smell and smoke rises up into the hood and out the roof.

Thank you.

Old 2008-05-27, 6:30pm
Your Royal Fritness

It looks wonderful!

Happy torching

Dawn

Old 2008-05-28, 7:42pm

Really nice Heather! Looks like a very streamlined set up. Everything at your fingertips. Pam

Old 2008-05-29, 12:59am
a pox upon an idiot :..

Heather, I love it, you must be so excited. I've kind of followed your ventilation problems to see how you were going to solve your problems. I also added the fresh air under the table to my vent system because it gets so cold in winter that I was getting frustrated bringing in my make up air, it's made a world of difference.

Can you explain the ground wire and why you need it? I don't remember one ever being mentioned in the volumes of safety information that I've read over the years, and now I think I want one! LOL

I'm really happy for you, and by the way, my Fusebox is working perfectly after I replaced the relay, thanks again for the help that you posted about it.

Edie
Old 2008-05-29, 11:18am

Thanks all!

Edie,

I must bow to Dale for a good reason for the grounding wire.

I was told since the city is inspecting the propane connection and electrical I needed the grounding wire in case of a lightning strike...... In Florida we get them all the time.

With the makeup air coming in by blower and then going right back out the hood, it allows the room to stay cool. In Florida when i had the window open it got over 100 in my studio in the middle of the summer. Between the kiln, outdoor temp. and the torch I was just soaked. Now the temperature stays cool in the room without wasting the AC. But I have not gotten my first electrical bill. I was told my AC unit is very economical.

Old 2008-05-29, 11:53am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
Thanks all!

Edie,

I must bow to Dale for a good reason for the grounding wire.

I was told since the city is inspecting the propane connection and electrical I needed the grounding wire in case of a lightning strike...... In Florida we get them all the time.
City requirement and lightning are both good reasons.... IT may not be required everywhere, but it can not hurt anything either....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-06-01, 3:26pm
desperate for glass

your new studio looks great!!!! sue
Old 2008-06-02, 5:02am

Sue, see you after Thanksgiving!!

Old 2009-03-05, 8:43pm

Florida Glass Dragons is having a North Florida meeting on March 14! The board meeting will be at 11:30. Then at 12:30 the demo's will begin.... Glass, Glass and more glass..... Plus, ISGB Gathering talk since it will be in Florida!
At 3 we will be moving to lucid visions studio for more glass demo's.

Anyone that wants to attend is welcome. The meeting will be at Heather Ferman's studio in Jacksonville Fl. The studio is now finished and ready to have fun.
PM me for the address.

Old 2009-03-08, 10:30am

Heather,

Your new studio looks wonderful. I know that you must be thrilled to finally have a working environment that isn't a threat to your health. I can't imagine what it was like not being able to talk over your ventilation system. Sounds like (and looks like) the new system is vastly improved. Congrats!

Old 2012-06-23, 8:00pm

Gorgeous, including the grounding wire.
Old 2012-06-25, 12:28pm
tiptrinket

Great space!

Old 2012-06-25, 1:28pm
Addicted to Frit!!!

Looks awesome Heather!! Glad you can torch now without risking your health.

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on