TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Old 2008-07-29, 1:28am

Default Alternative to etching

Well, maybe this is well known, but i did not see it anywhere. I got throught the article of Mr.Brady, where he points out the hazards of etching the beads. It scared me a lot. But i do not have suggested sandblasting equipement, nor i am planning to buy it in the near future. So i had to find alternative method.
Couple of years ago, i bought a toy rock tumbler for my son. It was not big succes, and the tumbler was lying in the garage.
Rock tumbler
I tried it with beads, and it works like charm. Instead of polishing grit, i used sand mixed with water and the beads surface turns into nice matt finish after one day. Maybe, this can help to someone, who is so frighten of etching acid as i am. The only drawback of this method is, that you cant mask parts of the bead.
Old 2008-07-29, 3:35am
BeadsonCypress

Hmmmm....another thing for the studio. I have a designer who uses sea glass and wants coordinating beads.....hmmmmmm.....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-07-29, 7:06am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

awesome tip! I bought a tumbler and forgot why.. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 7:21am

hold uppppppppppp where do you get the grit?
and would sand work, like I mean real sand not silica sand, liike the kind I stole a bucket of off the beach sand? or would silica sand be better?
(that was sure the long way to ask this question)

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 8:50am

ty!!!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 9:02am

It is very complicated to get suitable grit here in Czech Republic so i am using normal sand, it is river bottom white sand (this one used in golf bunkers for example), but in my opinion every sand will work. I sieve the sand through my sons playing sieve to avoid stones. Then, i fill the tumbling drum to 1/4 with sand and add water, so 1/3 of the drum is filled. The tumbling time is cca 20-24 hours. If you wish, i can post photos at saturday.
Old 2008-07-29, 9:04am

please do post pictures!!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-29, 9:10am

I sent my DH out to Michaels a while back and then I went with him the next time and looked myself because I didn't believe him when he said Michaels, at least ours does not sell Glass Pony Beads. I could not find them either. Is there a substitute or a link where to find them online?

Thanks!
Carol
Old 2008-07-29, 3:01pm
Resident Luny

This is pretty much the only way to etch bullseye, I finally got the hang of it the other day...but I use green ceramic tumbling media instead of pony beads.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2008-07-29, 4:53pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I have done this with the fine stuff and the feel of the beads I tumbled is sooo diffrent than the ones that were etched. They are soooo smooth you just have to touch them.

Old 2008-07-30, 5:41am
Resident hippie

Can you post the link to Mr. Brady's hazards of etching post please? Thanks

Beadanna
Old 2008-07-30, 7:58am

I intended to put the link to this article, but to be honest, i can not find it again. But it was terrible reading, he described how the acid inavdes your body throug small injuries on your fingertips and how then travels to your bones and slowly disolves them, brrrr. May be someone other bookmarked it and is able to link it
Old 2008-07-30, 8:03am

doh! I have so gotten acid in cuts n stuff!!!
so scarey!
going to take some calcium now!

~~
~~
Old 2008-07-30, 9:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
This is pretty much the only way to etch bullseye, I finally got the hang of it the other day...but I use green ceramic tumbling media instead of pony beads.
I love etched beads. I had no idea you even could etch bullseye. I'm so glad to hear that you can tumble etch it. Does it have to be with the green ceramic tumbling media or do you suppose the sand or steel shot or carbide will work?
Thank you,
Carol
Old 2008-07-30, 9:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvold View Post
I intended to put the link to this article, but to be honest, i can not find it again. But it was terrible reading, he described how the acid inavdes your body throug small injuries on your fingertips and how then travels to your bones and slowly disolves them, brrrr. May be someone other bookmarked it and is able to link it

I was told that it was not the Dip & Etch that does this with the bones. I'm hoping this is true because I sort of got more relaxed about wearing gloves, etc. when I etched with it. Oops!
Old 2008-07-30, 10:01am

Can someone post a pic of what the tumbler looks like for this newbie please? I need to know what I am looking for
Thank you,
Dinah
Old 2008-07-30, 10:08am
Does it come in Purple???

Instead of pony beads I have used the glass marbles used for flower arranging. The small round ones - they work great.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-07-30, 10:09am
Does it come in Purple???

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46376

I have this one and use it strictly for etching. Once the grit is in the barrel you cannot use it for anything else. I have a seperate vibratory tumbler for polishing silver.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2008-07-30, 10:12am

Thank you Jodie!
Old 2008-07-30, 10:16am

2 Paco: in my original post in this thread is link to picture of tumbler, i am using. I know, it is only toy, but it works very good and the power consumption is allmost zero, on the other hand, in USA is possible to buy so many different models and they are so cheap, that i would choose another one, but in Europe is the choice very limited.

2 Carol: Well, i dont know, i can remember from the schooldays, that there are only very few options for solutions, they etch glass and all are based on the HF, so dangerous, but as is said, i am not expert in this.
Old 2008-07-30, 10:19am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osvold View Post
I believe this is what you're looking for:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ric%20Acid.pdf

This is outrageously nasty stuff. In comparision to using HF acid, torching without ventilation or eye protection would be nothing more then a minor nuisance.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-31, 12:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
I believe this is what you're looking for:
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ric%20Acid.pdf

This is outrageously nasty stuff. In comparision to using HF acid, torching without ventilation or eye protection would be nothing more then a minor nuisance.

Yes, that exactly the text, btw, thanks a lot Mr.Brady for the info, i wasnt aware of those very important safety informations.
Old 2008-07-31, 8:41am
Lampwork Meditator

If I etch my beads in my tumbler, what can I use as a mask to keep some areas shiny? I'm guessing nail polish tumbles right off.

Thanks!
susie

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2008-08-04, 6:40am
Resident hippie

I have invested in Bead 'n' Etch and didn't know anything about these horrors. I'm thinking if I wear rubber gloves and use it in a well ventilated place I should be OK.
I hope I'm right.

Beadanna
Old 2008-08-17, 9:47am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

I have a harbor freight tumbler and have used it with stainless steel shot and that is what I use to polish my silver beads, jewelry, etc. Works like a charm...stainless steel shot, fill 3/4 with water and just a dash of liquid dish soap. Throw in your jewelry or silver components and 30 minutes later, they are so sparkly.

I have not tried the tumbler for glass etching, but it does sound like a good thing as opposed to the chemical etch.

Perhaps this is a dumb questions, but couldn't you sieve out your beads, the pony beads, and then catch the sand or polishing component in a coffee filter, dry it out and use it again...perhaps dumb, but wouldn't it work?