Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-31, 7:20am
professional gimme fiver

Default Fusing Glass Rods?

I would like to fuse some glass rods together to make a plate. I don't want the rods to melt flat, but rather to stay raised, and I just want them to melt enough in between to fuse together. Is that even possible?!?

Also, and here's the kicker.... I have a Paragon Bluebird kiln. I know I'd need to get a nice little something or other to lay on the fiber blanket so the glass doesn't melt onto it. I believe my kiln goes up to about 1250 degrees but no higher. I was thinking if I used coe 104 glass or even Momka, perhaps.....it might work in my kiln! Has anyone done this before in a Bluebird?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-07-31, 7:36am

I've fused Bullseye rods with no problem, but I used a larger kiln and took it to a higher temperature. What you're describing is a "tack fuse", where the glass is fused enough to mostly hold its shape without totally deforming as it would in a full fuse. Tack fusing temperature for Bullseye is in the 1300+ range, depending on time/temp/colors used. I don't think your 1250 temp would be high enough, but why not give it a try with some shorts?
Old 2015-07-31, 7:53am
Phill

I would suggest not using soft glass for this because I think the slumping / fusing / melting temperature ranges for various colors would be too far apart to get reliable consistency.

My small investigation in the BulsEye website videos makes me think that their glass line may have enough less variation to do what you are talking about but that would mean stocking and learning that library of glass which could be a sizable expense if you don't already have a collection of it.

One years access to the BulsEye videos was well worth the $40 I paid but that was a few years back and it may have gone up since then.
Old 2015-07-31, 8:34am

Phil, Bullseye is considered a soft glass. The greatest difference between BE and most other soft glasses is that BE makes a line of sheet and rods that is tested compatible for fusing, and also formulated to minimize the devit that can often occur with fusing other types of soft glass. Spectrum also has a fusing line, but I like BE better.

I think the problem for Alexis is that her kiln is made for annealing rather than fusing.

Mimi
Old 2015-07-31, 9:10am

Pretty sure the Bluebird only goes up to 1200. Probably not hot enough for fusing, but I haven't tried it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-07-31, 10:30am
professional gimme fiver

Thanks for the input everyone. I might give it a try with coe 104 glass (some shorts I have laying around) and see how it goes.

Old 2015-07-31, 10:55am
Phill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
Phil, Bullseye is considered a soft glass. The greatest difference between BE and most other soft glasses is that BE makes a line of sheet and rods that is tested compatible for fusing, and also formulated to minimize the devit that can often occur with fusing other types of soft glass. Spectrum also has a fusing line, but I like BE better.

I think the problem for Alexis is that her kiln is made for annealing rather than fusing.

Mimi
Aye.
I was just thinking about the differences in the melting characteristics of the only coe I am actually familiar with, the 104 coe stuff.
I know that it seems like the white melts in the hot sun and the transparents don't want to melt even in a blast furnace.

But I do know that the word soft covers a wider spectrum of coe's than the term hard glass conveys.
Old 2015-07-31, 4:24pm

1250 F is 677 C and this is firepolish temp for BE COE 90 glass. Edges soften, but glass keeps its form. Tack fuse temps are in 730C and above range and full fuse temp is appr 810C.

But this is for BE. May be it is worth trying some soft colours of 104. But at the same time you will have to run your kiln at its max temp - it may affect its durability if you do it on regular basis.

I have a couple of fused pendants with decals waiting for the final fuse of the decals and this is 670C or about your max temp. I'll drop some shorts in the kiln and come back to you with the results.

Last edited by Katia; 2015-07-31 at 4:28pm.
Old 2015-07-31, 4:35pm
Senior Moment

If you have the Bluebird or the Bluebird Jr, then it likely won't work, as they only go up to 1200*F. However, the Bluebird XL goes up to 1500*F, so if that's the one you may be able to give it a go!

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2015-08-01, 1:37am
Phill

Test failures can always be used as frit in the torch!
Old 2015-08-02, 8:12am
Borovangelist

104 might fuse at a lower temperature, but not by much. As they say, there's one way to find out Try making a small tile.

I'd echo the others in saying be carefully running your kiln full out, they aren't designed to run at the upper maximum for long, so you'll shorten the life of the elements if you try. My Skutt is designed to go up to 1800 to fuse (1500-ish), and I've only ever run it up to 1600 for PMC silver clay.

|
|