LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-11-24, 4:47pm
He can do the origami

Shawn is the best!! I am so very proud to call her my friend. Shawn, I am proud of you. Thank you for always being willing to help everyone. What a big heart you have.
Old 2010-01-08, 4:01pm
Isinglass Design

What a great thread to bump into! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laurie
Old 2010-03-24, 2:07pm

Lightbulb

thanks for this wonderful info !!! it is great of u to share, and as we all know, everyone will produce something different with the same information !!! that is what makes it more wonderful !!! every single item is a 1 off, they will all have their own feel .......... I know I use the info and photos as a start place and run with that sometimes ending somewhere very different ........ I would love to see the photos of the work that others have produced from this great information, and thanks for all the work you have put in for us all ...............
Old 2010-04-03, 6:34am

Smile Your beads are absolutely exquisite!

Thanks for all the info. I am a beginner and have learnt a lot from reading your page.
Old 2010-04-03, 10:24am

Thank You Shawn for your generous sharing of knowledge and experience. My frustration level has been greatly reduced with your tips!
Old 2010-04-09, 10:08am
Cake for me too please

Thanks for sharing!
Old 2010-06-06, 7:05pm

Default Thanks

As a very new member of the group - thank you, thank you, thank you, your generosity in giving so much information is overwhelming. M
Old 2010-06-07, 2:01pm
Surrounded by Trouble

You are most welcome and as always if you have any questions or need any further help you can PM me or e-mail me at anytime. I will do my best to get back to you quickly and help you with whatever I can.

Have fun, play and melt some pretty glass.
Shawn

Old 2010-11-17, 3:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thank you so much.
As said in another tut thread, these 'old' threads go on to help new generations of lampworkers, and that is just wonderful.
Very much appreciated

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2010-11-17, 6:11pm
Surrounded by Trouble

You are so very welcome.
If you ever have any questions about anything in this tips thread you or anyone else is welcome to PM me, or e-mail me at any time. I will answer you as soon as possible.

I just read what I posted 5 months ago and realized I said the same thing. Oh well it holds true today just as it did 5 months ago.
Happy Holidays.

Last edited by Shawn T; 2010-11-17 at 6:14pm. Reason: same post 5 months later
Old 2010-11-17, 6:22pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I made a short tutorial on Pressed Lentils and SSL about a month ago, it was posted in the tips and techniques and questions area.

I thought I should add a link to it in this thread also for anyone who might be interested in viewing it.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=176418

Hope it helps and maybe it wont get so lost.
Shawn

Old 2010-11-17, 8:29pm
Born Facing Left

Shawn, you are a dear. You really are.

Old 2010-11-19, 12:52am

A jolly good read, well done.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:15am

Thanks so much Shawn T for all the info & the pics are wonderful. You've given me so much inspiration & ideas for different beads. One thing I'm confused about is the RAKU. Can you get the colours to come out with the rod or is it only the frit? I've never seen anything written about RAKU rods. Also, is the frit 104 coe or another coe? Canyou get the colours from Boro frit too? I,too wpold like to know about mosaic green glass. Who makes it & is it 104 coe & is it transparent or opaque. I't a beautiful green. I hope you can help & thanks so much for all the info etc. Love you for sharing.
Old 2011-12-04, 10:20am
grama punky - class junky

Thank you Shawn. lots of great tips!

Old 2011-12-05, 8:53am
Surrounded by Trouble

You are very welcome LizzyDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette McFadden View Post
Thanks so much Shawn T for all the info & the pics are wonderful. You've given me so much inspiration & ideas for different beads. One thing I'm confused about is the RAKU. Can you get the colours to come out with the rod or is it only the frit? I've never seen anything written about RAKU rods. Also, is the frit 104 coe or another coe? Canyou get the colours from Boro frit too? I,too wpold like to know about mosaic green glass. Who makes it & is it 104 coe & is it transparent or opaque. I't a beautiful green. I hope you can help & thanks so much for all the info etc. Love you for sharing.

Annette,
When you use the RAKU you sure can use the rods and pull them into stringers to make lines, dots, scroll work on any beads. It won't work so well to make the beads I have pictured above as they are swirled with frit colors, unless you crush the rods into frit. You can use 104 RAKU but I have always used 96 coe with my 104. Just remember to use very little and you will be fine mixing the two of them. Try RAKU with a brown 104 base, it makes it easy to for the colors to pop, and I always have really good luck with brown especially 444 as a base.
One more thing, I have better luck with regular RAKU not the Dark RAKU.

If you need or want suggestions with boro frit, please let me know, as I now work mostly in boro.

As for the Mosaic Green I used an Opaque color, although they did make a Mosaic Green in Transparent also. I wrote these tips and tricks back in 2004, and really should go back and fix my typo's
It looks like it might only available in transparent now, I will look at other vendors and see if I can find it in opaque.

Glad they have inspired you and I will always answer any questions anyone has on them.
Shawn

Old 2011-12-19, 2:51am

Thanks so much Shawn T. I did make some frit from the 104 rods but haven"t had time to try it yet. What is the brown 444 or is it 104? Also I ordered the transparent green mosaic so I'll see if there is any reaction from it. It looks like it's opaque, with the dark streaks through it, but may not look the same when I get it. Thanks for answering my questions & please wish me luck as I haven't had much lately & that would really help my depression when things don't work. Happy lamping.
Old 2011-12-19, 9:07pm

Beware of blowflies when you have very sligtly warm glass around. I was just making some frit & when I took the rod out of the iced water, a small piece broke off the rod so I layed it on the bench. Then a blow fly landed on the piece of glass & refused to move. A few seconds later it flew away. Then I noticed what looked like a crumb on the glass. I looked at it with my magnifying glass & found it had just layed magots. I always thought they only layed them on a food source. Weird or what ???????
Old 2012-06-25, 10:06am

Thank you for the crescent moon tips! I just made a marble and a pendant. Awesome.
Old 2012-06-27, 4:47am

Default Thank you

Thank you for the post, being new I want to learn everything and try to understand at the same time.

Cher
Old 2017-09-05, 7:32am

>bump<

Lots of neat ideas here!

--Helene
Old 2018-01-24, 7:36am
Loving learning

bump
Old 2018-01-24, 3:21pm

Loads of great tips & beautiful pics here. Very generous!
Old 2021-05-11, 11:13am
Queen of the milo field

bump