Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-19, 12:01pm

Lisa, firedancer was sweet enough to post my Devardi beads in the newbie show and tell and I haven't been stoned to death yet, LOL
Old 2009-11-19, 12:18pm
I fart diamonds

I don't think a Devardi thread in the gallery will be overrun with negative comments. I'd love to see other people's frit results. I've only done a few color sample beads, but if I get some torch time tonight, I'll do some more and take pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-19, 1:46pm

That was probably mean of me to say that, but I was scared to do it because I'm new and wasn't sure if I should say anything about the kinds of glass I use. I have so much to learn about lampworking, and using the forum, truly, I mean no harm.
Old 2009-11-19, 1:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunner View Post
Thank you Sonja! That is a very good plan. I really appreciate your advice. Oh! and your beads are really great. I am stressing myself out too much because I hate feeling somewhat defeated whenever I finish a torching session and I don't think I accomplished what I had wanted to do. I want to be good yesterday and I know that it is impossible without practice. I suffer from fear of failure and tend to procrastinate getting back to it! BTW, how do you know about being challenged outside of your comfort zone? Cheryl

lol Cheryl every time I visit the big kids gallery I don't know if I should give up in total defeat or just keep on working at it lol. Usually I just remind myself that they all started at the same spot you and I did which is with wonky, funky looking and sometimes downright ugly looking beads lol!
The outside my comfort zone thing, you have to go check out the newbie challenge thread and look through a couple of them. You will see where at the beginning whatever the technique challenge was, we were all totally awful at it but we posted the beads anyway. When you get to the end you will see how much we all improved simply because we were encouraged to try and do something with others that we hadn't tried before. And its fun and there is a lot of encouragement to keep trying. So come over and join us I think you will have a great time.

You WILL get better, I promise, one day it will just WORK if you know what I mean. I didn't get it til it happened but all of a sudden 99% of my beads came out round. Your hands and your brain all of a sudden go "oh, so that's how it feels when its right" Usually without you consciously figuring it out if that makes any sense at all.

And babyfirefly I do understand where you are coming from on that. Post them anyway lol. I do.

Old 2009-11-19, 2:06pm

Yeah me too Sonja, Good or bad, ya get to see em all.
Babyfire Fly, Your beads on the Devardi site, are just wonderful.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-11-19, 2:10pm

My feelings about devardi can be summed up by this, I think.

I did my big show for the year a couple of weeks ago. I was planning to take a portion of the money I made and spend it on glass stuff. I have a HUGE weakness for silver glass, and chalcedony especially makes me just drool. I'd been planning ever since the "Blue Chalcedony" came out to get probably half a pound to a pound of each. I even got some urubros glass, which I can't spell and am too lazy to look up, so I'd have something to put it on when the U-glass came up in the garage sale area (awesome price).

The week of the show, the devardi newsletter came out, saying new glass would be in and up on the site mid week, for sale on Friday.

I bought devardi instead, and I'm very happy with my choice. I'll still get the chalcedony, sometime, but I got pounds and pounds of devardi to play with.
Old 2009-11-19, 2:13pm

I am so glass deprived, and waiting patiently, for my first order of devardi to arrive.And then I think I am going to order some of the FANCY stuff, they have.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-19, 2:19pm

I got some of the dichro...I've got some ideas on trying things with the dichro on white, I'm hoping for an opal or moonstone effect.
Old 2009-11-19, 2:20pm

lol I am trying not to look at the fancy stuff. I have almost every color of the regular glass at this point most of it in 1/4 lots just to try it out but several in pound lots. And I have a list of the ones I like the best to re order when my 1/4 pound ones run out.

So any way I have given the Devardi clear a good work out the last couple session and have to say that overall I am very happy with it. I was having severe scumming problems with some other brands and the Lauscha just keeps cracking on me. That may be fixed when I start popping them directly in the kiln which i will try as soon as I get it set up.
Once I filled my tank of propane and let it settle a bit the Devardi clear is working fabulously, I am so happy. I do get the occaisonal black thread like pieces in it but I am pretty sure that is either a problem with gunk in the hose (even though its only a couple of months old, I need to drain it more often I think). And when that happens it happens to any transparent I happen to be using no matter the brand or color, so its not the glass.
No cracking issues so far, other than one thermal crack because I looked at it too long.

I did have a beautiful dark topaz brown rod just shatter to a nub no matter what I did. It was a very thick uneven rod. I will be using it for frit because its a yummy shade and will try another rod the next time I sit down in front of the torch.

Old 2009-11-19, 2:29pm

Thank you Lisi and Sonja for your advice and encouragement! I feel that some day I really will learn this art form and I will have to try some of the newbie challenges. Cheryl
Old 2009-11-19, 3:47pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
Lisa, firedancer was sweet enough to post my Devardi beads in the newbie show and tell and I haven't been stoned to death yet, LOL
I don't think that many 'newbies' share the negative sentiments of the Devardi line that many of the 'pros' do, and those folks don't frequent the newbie threads, so I'm not surprised that those beads were well received in that thread. I hope that Shawnette is right too. Just seems to be a fresh round of 'Devardi bashing' going on lately and I'd hate to see it in the Gallery too.

Speaking of showing pics... Here are some frit blends I've made using exclusively Devardi colors. They are on a base of white (either Vetro or Effetre) or Effetre Ivory:

These are Devardi Salmon as a base and the blend called Autumn Leaves from GlassDiversions:

And finally, I've been playing with 'holiday lightbulb' beads as shown in AvenueBeads' online video demonstration. At first, all I had for Metallic Black is the Effetre version (blue bulb on the left). Then I got some of the Devardi Black Metallic and tried that and it is effortless to make it shiny and gorgeous! Just a plain ol' neutral flame for all that shine. That's also the new Devardi Yellow Gold glass that I used for the bead on the right with the Dev metallic. Went more orangey when heated... Yum!

Oh, wait, one more! (Sorry to HOG) Second try at the Dev dichro on black and I got color... woot, woot! I had been heating too deeply after encasing when I tried the first time. Much better this time!

Old 2009-11-19, 4:24pm

Very good Lisa. What is the word DEV, dichro. What does DEV stand for?

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-19, 4:30pm

I am pretty sure that is Devardi dichro.
Great beads people. I am still waiting on my order!!

Amy

Old 2009-11-19, 4:33pm
Semi Retired

Beautiful beads. Don't you just love the salmon? Your Devardi frits are very pretty on the white and ivory. That orange bulb is gorgeous. Congratulations on the dichro. I am still overheating it. Thank you for showing them.

Hi Nell DEV stands for Devardi.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-19, 5:09pm

Lisa, the lightbulb beads are too cute!!! I think alot of people who use the dichro will fry their first bead, getting the hang of it. I picked out a strip with the least amount of color to try, cause I kinda figured I'd toast the first one. The dichro bead Nell posted for me was my 2nd attempt. I was real happy with the color on that one.
You'll get it dichromary, It is a bit tricky. but like alot of the other glasses, you just have to get the feel for it.
Old 2009-11-19, 5:09pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
Very good Lisa. What is the word DEV, dichro. What does DEV stand for?
Sorry ... just my lazy abbreviation for Devardi (Dev).

Old 2009-11-19, 5:41pm

Okay these are Devardi transparent purple with tie dye raku frit over top.

These are Devardi Butterscotch with med brown and a darkish olive green frit that I made myself also devardi

The focal on this is med brown, with butterscotch and light blue. The square spacers are med brown and were rolled in frit made from devardi glass but I can't remember what it is off hand, another handmade frit. All devardi glass in these also.

Old 2009-11-19, 5:42pm
Born Facing Left

The black metallic glass is very lovely, and it works really well on the christmas lightbulb bead. Great effect.

Old 2009-11-19, 5:48pm

Love the light bulb beads! And the dichro bead is yummy. My list just keeps getting longer!

Old 2009-11-19, 6:17pm
Semi Retired

Sonja, very nicely done. I like the effect of the black line on the butterscotch and the varied size frits on the butterscotch.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-19, 6:27pm

Sonja, are the colors staying true, or does the frit, turn brownish, when applied to some of the colors? In other words, is the frit reacting, and not staying the same colors, as it was, before you applied it?

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-19, 6:35pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's a 1 1/4" bead made from Transparent Extra light Blue, Semi-Opaque Lt. Baby Blue, and Effetre Silver Pink. The frit is called Captain's Jewels.

Jack

Old 2009-11-20, 1:29am
doyenne of the homebodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
Here's a 1 1/4" bead made from Transparent Extra light Blue, Semi-Opaque Lt. Baby Blue, and Effetre Silver Pink. The frit is called Captain's Jewels.

Jack
That is a lovely bead.

Andrea
Old 2009-11-20, 1:40am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you Andrea.

Jack

Old 2009-11-20, 7:21am
one day at a time

Great beads, everyone! Thanks for sharing!
Old 2009-11-20, 10:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post

Jack

WOW - that is one neat color and shape combo!
Old 2009-11-20, 11:17am

Nell, I have had no problems with my frit changing colors, I've been getting the what you put on the bead, is what you get, so to speak.
Old 2009-11-20, 11:33am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
WOW - that is one neat color and shape combo!
Thank you!

Jack

Old 2009-11-20, 12:46pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Here's some spacers using Devardi Metallic Black.

Jack

Old 2009-11-20, 1:37pm

Ohhhh Awwwww, Aren't thos' sure Purty!!!

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi