LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-07-02, 4:46pm

Default Kiln Safety

So I have a few questions..... Do you guys leave your kiln on while you sleep or leave the house while you are annealing?

I can't do it. I can't leave it on and go anywhere much less sleep. I'm a worry wart and can't even tink about it.

So what do you do? I'm curious.

I bead and anneal but stay home the entire time and schedule it so it ends before I go to bed. I guess batch annealing would be an idea but I don't want to lose the precious few I make each time by doing that.

Sam
Old 2005-07-02, 4:57pm
Life in the slow lane

I go about my business as usual. Since I torch at night the kiln is on while I'm asleep. Of course we have smoke detectors and co2 detectors throughout the house and in the garage. When I bead in the mornings I'm usually here but that wouldn't stop me from leaving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-02, 5:29pm
A True Woofer

I usually torch in the morning or afternoon, so I plan on staying home until I can turn off & unplug the kiln. I will take a nap with it on, but I won't leave the house. Not so much that I'm worried about losing my house and my things -- well I am -- but I worry much more about my dogs who I crate while I'm gone. God forbid that anything happen to the kiln while I was away and a fire started and my dogs could not escape.

Old 2005-07-02, 5:49pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Kilns are generally safe. IF you have proper wall clearance and kiln is up on a fire/heat resistant base, there should not be anything to worry about.

ME... I do my annealing so kiln is on final cool down (600° of less) with power off before going to bed. With all the things that make it safe, I still get a better nights sleep if I don't have to think about it.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-07-02, 8:06pm
Expert Thread Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
ME... I do my annealing so kiln is on final cool down (600° of less) with power off before going to bed. With all the things that make it safe, I still get a better nights sleep if I don't have to think about it.
YUP what he said! Granted, if I don't time the annealing (batch) process early enough that it will be complete to shut off the kiln before I got to bed, the beads don't get annealed that day...not like I make a ton...takes me about a week of sporadic torching to get a kiln load...

I also don't leave the house with the dryer or dishwasher running....