No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-06-22, 8:57pm
Mary Lockwood

Default Eye Strain/ Discomfort/ Dryness

I used to torch on a hothead with cheapy Rose Didymium glasses about 3 hours per night, about 3-4 nights per week.

Right after the holidays, I started using my minor. Between trying to get enough learning time in, and then finally just loving my new set-up, I now torch 5-6 hours per night, 4-6 nights per week. The same time I upgraded my torch, I upgraded my glasses to Aur-92 goggles. I use an oxycon and only melt soft glass.

My problem is suffering from dry, itchy, tired eyes that don't seem to recover before my next torching session so it just builds up to the point where I wake up some mornings and look like I have pink eye or something. Sometimes I have to not torch for 3 consecutive days for my eyes to feel normal again.

My question is: What is causing it?

Obviously, it could be caused by ANY of the changes I listed, and by having it all at once I was bound to run into some sort of issue. But how do I fix it? I don't want to torch less hours or days. I already have what I consider the perfect glasses, I am very happy with them. I also understand that in general, they are recommended for exactly the type of work I am doing. I would buy darker ones, or something...but I don't want to do that if it won't fix my problem.

Could this really be just from the extended time? Are there drops for this or something preventive I could do before I torch. I already use eye drops to remedy it after it happens, but if I could prevent it, that would be better.

It is getting to be a real problem.

Any help or advice is appreciated!!
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-22, 9:28pm
Life in the slow lane

I spoke with my opthamologist about the same problem. Mine is caused by torching too much. Auralens (I think) sells some really good eye drops to keep your eyes moistened. My opthamologist said they were good and I should continue on.

Old 2005-06-23, 4:27am
Safety ALWAYS

Dryness can have a lot of causes, one of which is lampworking.

You may have a condition called dry eyes, which is when the body does not produce enough tears to keep the eyes lubricated. This is a medical condition and needs to be diagnosed by an ophthamologist.

Dry eyes can also occur from not blinking enough. Take a piece of white paper, use a black magic marker, write the word "BLINK" in big black letters. Put it in the back of your workstation in clear view. Your brain will see this and blink more often.

Dry eyes also occur when the humidity levels are low and/or exposure to heat sources.

My suggestion would be the blink sign, some lubricating drops (don't use Visine!!!), and plenty of rest. If the condition still exists, then I'd suggest seeing an optical professional. There are many treatments available, from soft silicone plugs that can be put in your tear ducts (seems wrong, but it works), to special eyedrops, to actual medicine that you take in pill form that stimulates the production of tears.
Old 2005-06-23, 7:58am
gail52442

Default Eye strain/Discomfort/ Dryness

Taking a high quality vitamin E COMPLEX may solve your problem.
It can't hurt and you may enjoy some very benificial good side effects.

Search: Designers: Gail Jewell
Old 2005-06-23, 5:09pm
Incognito

I went from Hothead and Didys to Minor and Aur-92's AND the eyedrops from Auralens. The drops are sooooo nice and the best I have used. I tried quite a few on the market and these top them all. Just my experience.
Linda
Old 2005-06-23, 7:04pm

I'm ordering some Prescription Lenses from Mike..I NEED'em! Can't see my flowers any more!
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolollies
I went from Hothead and Didys to Minor and Aur-92's AND the eyedrops from Auralens. The drops are sooooo nice and the best I have used. I tried quite a few on the market and these top them all. Just my experience.
Linda

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

: