Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-08, 8:22am
make beads not war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Are you guys really having that much trouble taking your beads off the mandrels? Is it every bead that's this way or just a random rogue bead occasionally?
It rarely happens for me nowadays and if the freezer thing doesn't work, I give up then. Lazy that way.
Old 2008-01-08, 8:47am

WD40 is your friend. Try giving it a spritz with this stuff, it's helped me in the past.
Old 2008-01-08, 8:49am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Holy moley. Reading through what so many people do to get their beads off the mandrels is amazing! I confess, if I'd ever had to soak them or pound them or use a vise on them I probably would have given up the art form years ago. LOL!

Are you guys really having that much trouble taking your beads off the mandrels? Is it every bead that's this way or just a random rogue bead occasionally?

I use heavy duty FF and Smooth and Tuff - mine slide right off. The occasional bead requires a pair of pliers to hold the mandrel, but it slides right off too.

I'm with Tink - I would have given up long ago if I had that much trouble!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-01-08, 10:53am

THEY CAME OFF!!! After the freezer, I used the vise grips and a anti-slip kitchen pad and wrapped it around the bead. I used my pliers on the outside of the pad over the bead and twisted. I did lose 2 beads. They crack when you don't want them to and when you decide you don't care, they won't even break off the mandrel. I'm down one mandrel too. But at least I got the rest off....FINALLY. Thanks to all of you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-08, 1:38pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Holy moley. Reading through what so many people do to get their beads off the mandrels is amazing! I confess, if I'd ever had to soak them or pound them or use a vise on them I probably would have given up the art form years ago. LOL!

I use the bench mounted vise because I can put 5 mandrels in at a time and the beads are are off in seconds. It's fast and easy

Old 2008-01-08, 1:58pm

It's a good idea, Carolyn. I may try it.
Old 2008-01-08, 2:10pm
William Hagy

May sure you are using 309 s.steel mandrels and that you flash heat the release as well as the mandrel before applying the glass. As I suspect you are using soft glass of some sort you may consider laying the core down and working as far off the mandrel as possible in other words ~try not to over work the glass & the mandrel.

~Enjoy!

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2008-01-08, 2:11pm
Salt Box Beads

If I had to do all of that to get my beads off a mandrel I'd probably quit!!

I made my own mandrels from rods I purchased at my local welding supply. I cut them, ground the ends on a grinder to a nice round smooth end and then I took sanding paper..smooth not heavy and sanded the mandrels where the bead release would go.

I thinned my bead release until when I pulled the mandrel out I could see the mandrel through the release...has the consistancy of half and half or light cream.

I use foster fire...will never switch unless they quit making it.

I soak all of my beads overnight and in the morning I twist the bead back and forth and then pull as straight as I can...

When I tried to use my release thicker I had all sorts of problems. So very thin release for me.
Lorraine
Old 2008-01-08, 2:12pm
Gay rights R human rights

I am having a devil of a time getting beads off the curved mandrels....any suggestions for that?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-01-08, 2:54pm

I normally use channel locks to grip the mandrel and twist it off with my fingers...that's just my method-I've got crappy grip with my right hand due to a childhood injury to my index finger, and my left hand just isn't as smart, LOL. Once in a while, I'll have one fight with me and I hand it to Mr. Evil who usually gets it right off.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-01-08, 3:15pm

oh yeah, and on the "is there bead release on the mandrel" question-

At the Ren Faire I sell at, I tend to meet lots of folks who ask how I do this stuff (typical show thing, LOL). This year, there was a vendor who was really curious about the basic process. I described winding the bead on a mandrel, coated in bead release, of course, and they said "bead release??". I explained that it's a kind of clay that you put on the metal mandrels to keep the glass from sticking, else you have plant pokes.

They said "so *that's* how you get them off!!!"

Seems their little SCA group had moved into trying to make glass beads....and despite all their efforts, couldn't get them off the mandrels. No one knew about bead release, LOL.

Wonder if I'll have competition from them this year?

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-01-08, 3:55pm

HI all, I am new to lamb working as well but have not had a bead stick to a mandrel yet. If you dip the mandrel slowly in the release and bring it up slowly is should coat enough to not stick a bead. Also try contacting Arrow Springs and get their Dip-N-Go Sludge. It works great. Now I am not advertising for them its just I've never had a problem with their bead release. Arrowsprings.com. They also have a wide verity of glass and tools as well. After the beads come out of the annealer I soak the beads in warm water for an hour,(by that time the water is cold), using a pair of vice grips (small) I put the grips on the end of the mandrel and twist the bead toward the faucet which is the opposite way the bead went on the mandrel, and it comes right off. If a bead is stubborn I put a dish rag or some other cloth on the bead and twist. If you put pliers on the bead it will crack every time. After all it is glass. Good luck

Mega-Minor, Mid Range on M15 OXYCON,PP

Last edited by Dragoneyes; 2008-01-08 at 4:05pm. Reason: more explination
Old 2008-01-09, 2:01pm

If you overheat the bead release it will cook it on the mandrel and the bead either won't come off or will be very difficult to come off. So you just warm the mandrel with release on it so that it will accept the glass then focus the heat on the glass not the mandrel. On another post people were saying that they always put fabric softener in the water to soak the beads and it makes them come off easier. I do use locking pliers just for a firm grip and often Tpaper or cloth to grip the bead, this has nothing really to do with stubborn beads it is just easier to grip that way.