No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-08, 6:58am
MomOnAMission

Default Key Chain?

I have a custom order for a key chain. My major concern is breakage. Has anyone had any success with them holding up?

I'm going to make a test key chain for the customer & "see".

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 2008-09-08, 7:42am
Susan

I have made keychains for myself out of large wonky beads. I haven't tried one with any outer detail or apendages. Mostly smooth beads or encased florals. They hold up surprisingly well. When they drop (and I drop them all the time) I sometimes notice a small smooth divot at the spot of impact. I have yet to end up with a sharp edge. My biggest problem was finding a set up that was flexible enough to last as a keychain. Most of my wire wrappings broke so I started making the keychain out of C-lon cord and doing macrame. The first one I tried lasted about a year and a half before it frayed through at the edge of the bead. Working on a new macrame idea to see if it will be sturdier using more cord for the core. Only downside to macarme is that it gets dirty after a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-08, 8:18am
MomOnAMission

Thanks for the reply, Susan! I figured I would macrame because I friend of mine keeps having me repair one that is strung with wire & those are wood beads. What is C-lon cord? I have waxed linen & thought I would use that... would love to hear your thoughts
Old 2008-09-08, 8:42am
Meow.

I've made several keychains - and wire-wraped them with 12g fine silver headpins. Kind of overkill to use fine silver on a keychain, I know - but it lasts!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-09-08, 9:16am
MomOnAMission

12g, really? I believe I only have 14g.
Old 2008-09-08, 9:20am
Button Queen

I've done keychains 2 different ways.
1. Wire wrap with heavy (don't know the gauge) steel headpins. I haven't had one returned yet.
2. Stainless steel pendant thingies (like the "change-a-bead" things, only stainless steel, Howaco has them). I glue on the ends so they don't un-screw.

I tried using SoftFlex wire but that only lasted a year.
Old 2008-09-08, 9:40am
Meow.

14g might work just as well. It's also pretty hefty as well. I used fine silver when I used the 12 because I feared I would never be able to wrap sterling (fine is softer)!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-09-09, 6:47am
MomOnAMission

I do use dead soft sterling so it really isn't that hard to wrap. Thanks for the tips ladies!
Old 2008-09-09, 7:37am
Meow.

Ahh, Roseanne, even in dead soft - 12g is a bear to wrap, but 14g should be easy

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-09-09, 9:28am
Facebook addict

I have a key chain that is probably 4 years old and has held up perfectly. I strung the beads on leather cord though, they weren't wire-wrapped.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2008-09-09, 11:08am
MomOnAMission

I really LIKE Teri's idea of the leather cord, less expensive Thank you!!
Old 2008-09-09, 11:10am
Facebook addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanne View Post
I really LIKE Teri's idea of the leather cord, less expensive Thank you!!
Hey, we aim to please on LE! LOL

Old 2008-09-24, 6:50am
MomOnAMission

Okay, so I couldn't feed the leather cord thru the 1/16th holes. I opted for 14g Sterling Silver wire... what do you think I should price it at? Only 3 blk & wht beads, simple. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 2008-09-24, 11:05pm
Carpe Beadum

I generally use stainless steel wire for the loop, myself. But I can attest that an annealed bead should hold up in a keychain.

My studio used to be on the fourth floor, and one day I was too lazy to go all the way down to let someone in, so I dropped my keys down to them from the fire escape. They bounced on the blacktop. (can't figure out why they didn't catch that missile flying at their head LOL) The bead didn't break! All it had was a small rough spot on one side from the abrasion.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2008-09-25, 7:11am

bead key chains should hold up, pendant style with a loop dont, even in boro. i experimented a few months ago.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-09-25, 9:49am
Facebook addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanne View Post
Okay, so I couldn't feed the leather cord thru the 1/16th holes. I opted for 14g Sterling Silver wire... what do you think I should price it at? Only 3 blk & wht beads, simple. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I have no idea on pricing, it's always a difficult decision to make. If you do make more use 3/32nds mandrels and the leather will thread through easily.