LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2012-03-13, 11:14am
What was I thinking?

Default This is fun!

Sandy, I'm enjoying the tutorial even though I haven't mastered it. Thanks for sharing this technique!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-13, 12:19pm
Angie09

Sent my money and anxiously waiting for your tut!!!
Old 2012-03-13, 10:00pm
Dianne Gleaton

Default Question on colors

[quote=SandyQ;3874943]Okay, here is my first debut tutorial! I hope you all have fun making these beads! Please post beads you have made using this tutorial - I would love to see them!

I have the tutorial, have tried several different glasses to get the look of the above and keep getting yuck. Can you share what glass you used for these please? TIA, Dianne

Made some today with ivory and transparent turquous(sp?), hope they come out of the kiln looking okay. The pattern looked nice going in. What other color conbinations have you made?
Old 2012-03-14, 7:47pm
SandyQ

OH MY GOSH, you all did GREAT!!!! I am so happy to see some results of your try at the tutorial. Regarding raking to a more "point," it does take practice. I sort of pull the glass out a little, LITTLE bit and before it gets too cold, I rake it straight down. That gives more crisper lines

Linda, GREAT START! The more you do the more you will want to do LOL. I have found that I can use white but with the white, use a stiffer transparent color. I have used cobalt blue, light/dark turquoise transparent, amber, transparent dark purples with white and they are pretty too. Start with the transparent colors FIRST. That way the base is made of the more stiffer glass than the softer white. Coral and ivory are pretty cool together too - the ivory webs a bit so it won't be very clear, defined lines, but it is a pretty combo just the same.

Diane, I love, love the way yours turned out - the dots appear to go down INTO the bead rather than the dots layered on top of one another. What colors did you use? It looks like you used some double helix?? hay? THEY ARE YUMMY!!! Please let me know what you make out of them.

ANGIE, I think I just sent you the tutorial. We had gone to work this morning and had not checked emails, so I believe my husband just sent it to you Hoep you enjoy the tutorial. I would love to see what you come up with.

Try pressing the beads in a bead press I'll search and find a pic to show you

Cheers, everybody!
Old 2012-03-14, 9:44pm

Just bought it, and I'm so excited!

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-03-15, 8:34am
Dianne Gleaton

Still asking, what glass is the aqua ?red?coral in the tut photo? TIA, Dianne
Old 2012-03-15, 11:30am
Dancing Moon Shadows

Dianne, mine below pretty closely match (colorwise!) to Sandy's. I used Dark Turquoise (Effetre 236) and Dark Red (Effetre 436). I'm not used to making such tiny beads, but I'm trying to learn!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2012-03-15, 4:49pm
SandyQ

turquoise is hard (for me) to work with. You have to try not to burn the heck out of it Great pics everybody!
Old 2012-03-15, 5:30pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
Still asking, what glass is the aqua ?red?coral in the tut photo? TIA, Dianne
Sandy ... I would like to know what the colors are you used as well.
Old 2012-03-15, 6:12pm
SandyQ

I used light turquoise and medium red (moretti) in the tutorial. You can use light blue and the medium red as well.
Old 2012-03-15, 7:47pm
Dianne Gleaton

Default Tutorial Bead Colors

Thank you, I had tried corals and it sure made a messy looking bead. I did use the lt turquoise though but the coral mucked it up big time. I will try the red next.

I need to take photos of the ivory/trans aqua...they turned out pretty neat, although they look more ivory/black in reality. Nice though. Dianne
Old 2012-03-18, 10:43am

Great pics everybody!
PIEDRA DESIGNS: I too am very curious what colors you used on yours. They are beautiful!
SANDY: Thank you for the color suggestions. I didn't think to use a transparent glass. That opens up a world of possibilities! I'll be playing later today, and will post pics tomorrow (if they turn out, somewhat).
Keep the photos coming!

Linda
Old 2012-03-18, 5:14pm
What was I thinking?

Thank you Linda. I used black, Silver Rattan and Psyche with dots of clear.

Old 2012-03-22, 1:07pm

Default My third attempt

Here are some more of mine... I think I like the green ones best.

Linda
Old 2012-03-26, 6:07pm
SandyQ

wow, Linda, you did good. I love the green ones too

OBGYN300, I have not been able to send your tutorial to you because it comes back undeliverable. Please add me (which is my husband's email addy) woof_quiring@sasktel.net to your list so I can send you the tutorial you purchased.
Old 2012-03-26, 6:43pm
SandyQ

here is what the raked dot bead looks after it is pressed.
Old 2012-03-26, 8:05pm
SandyQ

Asimeral, great job! The more you make, the more you will want to make
Old 2012-03-31, 7:39am

Hi Sandy!
I just purchased your raked dot tut. I am so excited to try this! Thanks!
Old 2012-03-31, 10:17am
SandyQ

You are welcome, Julieta. Just getting ready to send the tutorials purchased this moring. Enjoy! I am heading to the torch now
Old 2012-04-16, 10:02am

Sandy,
I have your tutorial . It is well written but I cannot make my beads round ... Can you please tell me the initial size of your bead and give me some tips on making them round .
Thanks.
Old 2012-04-18, 7:21pm
SandyQ

Sorry for delay in replying. Was on road for laat few days. If u live in States or Canada, private message me your # and I will call you and see if I can help you ree base bead is a small spacer siize bead.

Nana, the base of the bead is about 1/2 inch in size. You can start it out even smaller if you like. Regarding getting the bead round, if you started out with a larger base for the bead, it might be a bit harder to get it rounder as the finished product. Don't fret, if you leave them as little nubs around the outside it looks pretty good that way too. I just keep heating the bead and turning the mandrel, letting gravit do its thing and then balance out the bead while it is still hot (but not dripping hot). I hope this helps. If not, let me know and I will try to help you out some more

ALSO, don't be afraid of bead presses with this type of bead. I used a different press this evening to see how the bead looked - time will tell! I'll post a pic tomorrow or by the weekend when I have more spare time

Cheers!

Last edited by AKDesigns; 2012-04-18 at 10:34pm.
Old 2012-04-28, 12:42pm
too many rods in the fire

I just ordered!! I am so excited about this tut - I absolutely LOVE your sample beads - fabulous technique and colors, on my monitor the red looks orangish, and the beads look like Denver Broncos colors! Go Broncos!

Old 2012-04-28, 5:42pm
SandyQ

...and I did not even know that those colors were Bronco colors...hehehe. Glad you liked the combo
Old 2012-10-28, 8:48pm

Hi there. What color combos has everyone here used, and which do you recommend? I've done pastel grass green with transparent dk grass green (love this!), dk lapis and pea green (nice), bright red and black (fail!), irory and transp lt topaz (topaz sunk- but still neat). I love this bead, and I'd love to learn what everyone else has tried. Thank you!

Linda
Old 2012-10-31, 6:29pm
SandyQ

in the tutorial I wrote, I used dark blue an dark red. You can use turquoise but it fries like crazy. The pressed bead, I used turquoise and oral. If you press a bead, try intense black and I think it is med blue - it makes a northern light look to the bead (in my mind)
Old 2012-12-12, 10:22pm
SandyQ

thought I would make an aromatherapy vessel using this type of bead. I think i like it