Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-01-08, 7:22pm
New to the Flame

Default Somewhere to Sit!!!

Hi, it's me, Sandy the newbie again. I'm still working on setting up my garage studio and although I've purchased just about everything I need - I've hit one major snag! I don't know what to use as a table/desk/work surface!

I've considered just a standard work table from Staples or maybe a trestle desk from Target or even 2 file cabinets and a door! I don't know what to do...can anyone help with ideas? I know I'm probably putting way too much thought into this - but I want to make sure I have something workable that gives me enough room for everything I need in front of me. For instance, should my kiln be on the table next to me or should it be elsewhere?

Any helps, hints or tips you guys can send my way would be MORE than appreciated! Thank you SO much.

Cheers!
Sandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-08, 7:47pm
Dichro Addict

I have a desk from Target. It's great because it has storage on both sides under the desk. I have my kiln on a table right behind me, but I know lots of people like to have it right next to them on thier work table. I think I would go with a larger desk if you have the room for it.

Old 2008-01-08, 7:56pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Mine is a stainless steel table from IKEA. It's the kind you see at restaurant supply stores too. I like it because it is the perfect height for sitting or standing. Let me see if I can find a link...

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-01-08, 8:00pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Can't find a link to it, IKEA always changes what is available on their website so often. If you have a store near you you can check 'em out.

Good Luck!

face="Verdana">Facebook:
Old 2008-01-09, 6:07am
old fart

oh!!!
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-09, 6:42am
Detail G-Mama!

Hey Cherine, that is a nice setup but do you have a rolling chair? The reason I'm asking is if you drop something hot in your lap you can roll out and stand up quicker than trying to pull the chair out, ask me how I know! Also where did you get that big poster with the Chihuly (?) on it? I know the other one is Tink's right?

Old 2008-01-09, 8:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Umm... What the little white tank tucked into corner?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-01-09, 10:46am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Umm... What the little white tank tucked into corner?

Dale
The tank is outside now. These pics were taken right after the contractors finished before Christmas. They came back last week and ran the line outside where it is safely stored now.
I guess I should have said that before I posted the pic!

face="Verdana">Facebook:
Old 2008-01-09, 10:50am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
Hey Cherine, that is a nice setup but do you have a rolling chair? The reason I'm asking is if you drop something hot in your lap you can roll out and stand up quicker than trying to pull the chair out, ask me how I know! Also where did you get that big poster with the Chihuly (?) on it? I know the other one is Tink's right?
Hi Anne! My chair doesn't roll, I've been looking for one but my table is bar height and I could only find rolling chairs that are table height.

The Chihuly poster I got at the Indianapolis Children's Museum where he did a permanent installation a few years ago. Chihuly Rocks!

face="Verdana">Facebook:
Old 2008-01-09, 11:55am
Spoiled

I use an old computer desk. Since we switched to laptops we weren't using it anymore (except for a paper collecting station). It's the type with a shelf over the top so it makes for the perfect place for my little tv. It's not against a wall so it gives me a place to hang my vent to. I work on my sun porch which I've taken over half of, so it's not permenatly mounted.

It also has the roll-out keyboard tray so I mounted my creation station to that, after I put down a layer of steel. I also put some metal on the main part of the desk and my rod rest is there. It's nice having the two levels, it gives more surface space for tools and frit.

For my chair, I use a leather office chair with wheels (we bought it on sale so it was pretty cheap). It's nice being able to roll out of the way quickly if needed. Also I have to go about 2-3 feet to put my bead in the kiln, it super easy to roll back and spin to go to it.

I'll take some pictures when I get my camera back from DH.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-01-10, 9:37pm
MomOnAMission

What about a drafting chair? They are typically higher & with wheels
Old 2008-01-11, 4:15am
Knob Creek Glass

Cherine, I bought the cheapest drafting chair that Office Depot or Staples had in stock. It raises and lowers to the height you want, and rolls, like over to the kiln.
Old 2008-01-11, 11:37am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
Cherine, I bought the cheapest drafting chair that Office Depot or Staples had in stock. It raises and lowers to the height you want, and rolls, like over to the kiln.
Thanks Barbara, I'll have to look there. Are you going to ABR tomorrow?

~ Cherine

face="Verdana">Facebook:
Old 2008-01-11, 11:56am
make beads not war

I bought this chair from BizChair. I LOVE and it's very comfortable. I tried the one out Office Max/Depot and it wasn't as comfortable as this one. Shipping is free, though you do have to assemble it. That's where I did most of my cursing.

Drafting Chair

Anyway... tables. Mine is reused wooden garage door. The panel was cut down to 10 ft and mounted to the wall. Then the contractor got some aluminum and bent it to fit the table. It's a foot short on one end, but I just tossed supplies on top of it.

Studio
Old 2008-01-11, 1:41pm
Knob Creek Glass

I am definitely going to ABR tomorrow with my buying list! Will I see you there?
Old 2008-01-11, 7:29pm

I use an old metal office desk I bought at the Good Will store for $15. It has a huge work surface holding my glass and kiln. I love having the drawers for storage and I have two pull outs above the drawers for added work space (writing surface in office life). I covered the top with ceramic tile. Some of these desks have metal tops so you wouldn't have to do anything but mine came with some kind of soft mushy covering that was flammable so I covered it. This desk is VERY heavy, takes 2 men move it. I'm in the garage but soon will moving to spare bedroom and it won't fit through the doors so I will be looking for something else soon.
I use a roll around office chair-$50

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-01-13, 6:47am

Target and costco both have a steal table that is affordable. It is similiar to the Ikea oneif you don't have an Ikea near by. Also, the chair in the link is available at office depot. I bought a nice one there. The drafting chairs were in the back and not with the regular chairs. I think I had to put it together too......

I like my chair also! Villia you are right, it is a perfect chair.
congrats on the new set up!!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]