Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-25, 4:06pm

Default Wine Bottle Stopper

I am hoping someone can help me...I believe I have heard or read somewhere that you can buy a bottle stopper that lampwork beads can be attached to...I would love if anyone can tell me where I can get these.

Thanks!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-25, 5:50pm
CA Queen Bitch

I got mine from Nicker here on LE, you could pm her??
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-25, 6:12pm
Cats & Glass!

I get mine from Penn State Industries - http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...&Category_Code=

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2005-07-25, 6:32pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko
I get mine from Penn State Industries - http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...&Category_Code=

Janelle
Janelle?? what size mandrel did you use?? I am having a hard time...don't have one big enough LOL even triple dipped....btw those are sooooooo sooooooo awesome!!!!!!!

Old 2005-07-25, 6:57pm
Cats & Glass!

Sondra, I PM'd ya - but in case others want to know - here's what I wrote:

Thanks! Actually, the ones from Penn State have a screw that comes out. I just take that out and then I make my stopper on whatever size mandrel I want - usually 3/32 and then I use two-part epoxy to glue the glass onto the metal. I've never had one come apart - ever. On the other hand, I am not using the stoppers that have the corkscrews on them.

Hope this helps!

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2005-07-25, 7:04pm
CA Queen Bitch

I use a big hollow do-nut mandrel, but you can use a smaller one with steel wool under your bead release.

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-25, 7:22pm
Cats & Glass!

Eeek! After I re-read Cindy's post, I wonder if she's not talking about these -

http://www.abasg.com/shop/index.php?cPath=28

(at the bottom of the page)

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2005-07-25, 10:08pm
Broken

I just noticed this. I'll order more wines stoppers when I get back from the Gathering. If I was smart I'd have ordered them to take with me!

Old 2005-07-25, 10:31pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads
I use a big hollow do-nut mandrel, but you can use a smaller one with steel wool under your bead release.

~Suzy~
where do ya find a mandrel like that?

steel wool eh? gotta find me some of that

Old 2005-07-25, 10:57pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I order mine from woodturners I do buy the ones with the corkscrews in them, and love them! They use a 1/8 or a double dipped 3/32 mandrel I can epoxy the bead right on the end, and they don't come off. My sister has one she uses all the time I made it for her 3 years ago. Sorry I am out of town, and the link is at home. I will post it when I get back.
Old 2005-07-25, 11:02pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T
I order mine from woodturners I do buy the ones with the corkscrews in them, and love them! They use a 1/8 or a double dipped 3/32 mandrel I can epoxy the bead right on the end, and they don't come off. My sister has one she uses all the time I made it for her 3 years ago. Sorry I am out of town, and the link is at home. I will post it when I get back.
hmmm...my 1/8ths doesn't fit on the screw part...even triple dipped...i don't have the corkscrew one so maybe I will take that out and just epoxy it to the base...

Old 2005-07-26, 2:13pm
Boldly going

Here's the Woodturners links:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=050-7005

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=050-0095

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=050-1060

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-07-26, 4:34pm

Wow, thanks for all the responses...those are exactly what I was looking for!!!

I think they will make amazing Christmas gifts...especially for those who have everything!!

Cindy

Old 2005-07-26, 4:39pm

Alright...I was just looking a little closer at the web pages...do they all come with the wood? It appears that way to me.

Old 2005-07-26, 8:34pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Cindy, The ones from Woodtuners do NOT come with wood on the end of them. It is just there to show the woodtuners what they can do. Let me check the links and and I can tell you which ones fit right on the end of the maadrels. The middle link, is the one I use and love, it will fit right on the end of your beads, as I have mentioned above, a double dipped 3/32 or a 1/8 inch mandrel will work perfectly. I use a two part expoxy to hold it on, and make the bead on the end of the mandrel so it only has one hole.

Last edited by Shawn T; 2005-07-26 at 8:38pm.
Old 2005-07-26, 11:35pm
Fire Diva

Aanraku stained glass has new wine stoppers out! I need to order some! They have mandrels too with a ball on the end---Wahooooooo!

The link is:
www.abasg.com/shop

Old 2005-07-27, 12:01am
Aanraku Glass Studios

Default Two kinds of stoppers for beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintingwithglass
Aanraku stained glass has new wine stoppers out! I need to order some! They have mandrels too with a ball on the end---Wahooooooo!

The link is:
www.abasg.com/shop

We have two kinds of wine bottle stoppers for beads.

One is a 1.25" long x 1/8" diameter mandrel top. The other is 4" long and 3/32" diameter and is made so you can cut to length and have the flexibility to do different combinations quickly and easily.

Look for them in the findings section at http://www.abasg.com/shop

They're designed for beads and you don't have to funk about trying to figure out how to make them work for you.

Jeffrey Castaline
Aanraku Glass Studios

Last edited by aanraku; 2005-07-27 at 12:14am.
Old 2005-07-27, 6:19am

Thank you so much everyone for answering my questions for christmas...I now must spend my money

Old 2005-07-31, 5:11pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I get mine from Mikasa Outlet - runs about $13 for a set of 4 with a little boat-shaped wooden stand. You can also get them at Kitchen Collection individually for about $5.

Old 2005-07-31, 5:48pm

I use the ones with the screw coming out of the end and I use...brace yourself.....brake line from the local auto parts store. I tried the quadruple dip mandrel thing too and just COULDN'T get them big enough....so we were in there one day getting some wax for my honey's motorcycle and I went into full-on bored-wander mode and there they were at the end of an aisle. They even sold a little cutter to cut them super easy. I just dip once and they are the right size to epoxy on the little screw on the end!