No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-28, 12:21pm
And silence is golden

Sparkles were from dichro.

Last edited by Shrimp; 2009-10-28 at 5:58pm.
Old 2009-10-28, 12:25pm

Thanks Ladies....
Yup, there is some dichro in there too.
I was just fascinated with how the opaque blue went transparent. I was really expecting a translucent color.
I have mixed it up 4 or 5 times now, and that is what happens, and I vary the amount of blue, although I would guess never more than 25% blue.
Really, thanks.

jo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- A work in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-28, 12:29pm

No Aleta,
My very first class was with Kristina Logan, and she really impressed on me how carefully mixed color will not get bubbly.
It takes an annoyingly long time, but you can get a pretty clean mix if you are very gentle and slow.
If you never fold it onto itself, trapping air, you can meld colors together cleanly.
Verrrrry slowly twisting and pushing together.
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2009-10-28, 5:57pm
And silence is golden

Thank you for that quick mini tut Jo! Now pass it on to Precision to fix that bubbly Diamond Clear!
Old 2009-10-29, 3:16am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Jo ~ um....may I please have that bead! Just kidding. That is gorgeous! I'm sure that mine would come out a dingy gray denim if I were to try it. While I find it facinating what color variations people come up with when they experiment with mixing, I think that the glass manufacturers should stick with original recipes.
We can stick with the original recipes, and it still comes out different every time. Red is the most obvious and extreme example, but it happens with every batch. And not just in Lauscha.

I have 5 different rubino oros at home. They all look completely different, and all behave completely differently... It is the nature of the beast.

If we all didn't have our "surprises", there would have never been a demand for odds like Mikey does with Vetrofond.

I know for sure there was only one recipe up until now... just different results... Sadly... but lots of people really like the darker colour too...

I still do not have a date for when the other batch was produced. But if the last batch was produced almost (almost? holy crap - it's 2009, so OVER 5 years ago, gee whiz, like 7 years omg i'm old...) 5 years ago, and we still have some, it stands to reason that that other glass might have been made 10 (possibly 10 to 14) years ago. I don't even know if we have the same furnace that we had 10 years ago... We have gotten two new furnaces in the last year alone and decommissioned one of the old ones. They are rebuilt regularly and every furnace has a different character. (Just an aside, did you know that furnaces are usually given a woman's name? In Italy, when a new furnace goes into a small studio, they even have a "christening" with a priest and everything!) We have a new furnace and her name is Lucia.

Maybe someone out there has some that they are willing to trade with you... I only have a single rod, and it is a favourite of mine for when people want something small that looks good with jeans... I encase clear or ivory cores when I have something that is "rare" to make it go farther...

Smiles,
Carol Anne

Last edited by carolanne; 2009-10-29 at 3:23am. Reason: no sense of the passage of time sadly... ;-)
Old 2009-10-29, 5:46am
Lampworkaholic!

Aleta - Have you tried Reichenbach 104 Dense Iris Blue? It may be exactly the color you are looking for.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-29, 8:03am

I guess that is a good reason Carol Anne to hog the colors when we really like them!!
Btw, Adding white will not make dark teal gray. It will only make it lighter!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-10-29 at 11:13am.
Old 2009-10-29, 11:35am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanne View Post

I still do not have a date for when the other batch was produced. But if the last batch was produced almost (almost? holy crap - it's 2009, so OVER 5 years ago, gee whiz, like 7 years omg i'm old...) 5 years ago, and we still have some, it stands to reason that that other glass might have been made 10 (possibly 10 to 14) years ago.
I purchased back in the later part of 2002. Frank DeRosa thinks it might have been produced some where around June 2002
Old 2009-10-29, 11:38am
And silence is golden

Anyway, I got Jeanette's package today, and it is the same that I sent her.
Old 2009-10-29, 2:59pm

I looked at all of my old glass today because Glassdaddy was my pusher before I became a dealer but I didn't have that color! Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-29, 7:10pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
I looked at all of my old glass today because Glassdaddy was my pusher before I became a dealer but I didn't have that color! Paula
Old 2009-10-29, 7:17pm

Heck Aleta. I was gonna keep it if I found it!!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-11-17, 11:30am
And silence is golden

Default Lauscha-v-Bullseye Steel blue

A little over a week ago, I made a bead with Bullseye Steel Blue to compare with the Lauscha Steel Blue. Thought that I would share the results. The Bullseye is such an eye catching teal blue color. I love it! Just wish that Lausha would spend some more time in the creation lab, and come up with a gorgeous teal once again.

The top bead is made with Bullseye Steel Blue, and the bottom is the Lauscha Steel Blue.
Old 2014-06-16, 12:32pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I never saw this thread back in 2009 and I wish I had. All of my steel Blue rods are the grayer blue. It might explain why some people are having such a hard time with my Tiger tut because they're using the Opaque Teal thinking it's steel blue when there are apparently some variations in the pulls. My blue is exactly the color in Shrimp's post #26 - middle bead - my rods look exactly like Shrimp's rods in post #5.

Old 2014-06-16, 12:38pm

Lauscha Steel Blue is actually Dark Opaque Teal in their color system. And it all came from the same batch in the last 10 years. I did ask sometime ago and that is what I was told. I think Steel Blue is the Glassdaddy name. eta differing results could also be from different torch types.

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2014-06-16 at 12:40pm.
Old 2014-06-17, 4:39am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

But Paula, if you got to the first post, there are definitely differences in color for some people with rods from those same batch... some are more blue. Could be torch yes but to me, it's a really big difference between gray blue and teal in final product.

Old 2014-06-17, 5:22am

Oh yeah. I didn't reread the thread. It looks like it has all been said early on.

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-06-30, 6:47am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yee sent me a sample of her rod labeled Dark Teal and there's a dramatic difference in the rings of the glass. Hers have thick layers of a dark transparent blue in-between the steel color while mine has very faint rings. I'll take a pic later to show the difference.

Old 2014-06-30, 2:50pm
one day at a time

I love that color! It's on my list for my next order with you, Paula!