Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-23, 12:32pm
Stress Cracked

Default What is the technique for peeling clear rods?

I tried peeling the outer layer from a 12 mm clear glass rod and it turned into a mess - the rod bent in the direction I was pulling; the glass 'froze' and stuck to the rod after being smeared. It was nothing like what I remember seeing where the glass is peeled like a banana. Any helpful pointers on this technique? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks - Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-07-23, 10:13pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjvg
I tried peeling the outer layer from a 12 mm clear glass rod and it turned into a mess - the rod bent in the direction I was pulling; the glass 'froze' and stuck to the rod after being smeared. It was nothing like what I remember seeing where the glass is peeled like a banana. Any helpful pointers on this technique? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks - Jim
Hi Jim! Hate to say it but practice, practice, practice. All of those things happen until you find the right spot and the right amount of heat....sounds like you are going in the right direction. Just glance the outside of the rod in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.