Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2006-11-29, 11:28am
Glassbrat from Oregon

WHen is it? I want to go...

Kim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Creating is the greatest proof of being alive.
Old 2006-11-29, 3:12pm
Ex-lurker

The show is March 30 - April 1 and the classes start the March 28th. There are no more tables left in the Bead Bazaar and also no booths around the Bazaar. I have been going to this show for a few years, and this year I had a booth at the Bazaar and did quite well. In 2007 I will have two tables and will be doing a make and take something or other as well as selling stuff. If you're going, make sure to check me out! If you on the fence, come as Geneva said you learn so much, the networking is fabulous, great deals on stuff you need and they have free funky bowling on Saturday nite!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2006-11-29, 5:55pm

I can't say enough good things about this new venue. It is so convenient to have everything under one place, and I was suprised by how good the hotel restaurants turned out to be. I predict the Arrow Springs booth will be mobbed with folks looking for the ASK glass! Arlene is right, we had a good time! Jeri
www.jeribeads.com
Old 2006-11-29, 7:11pm

Oh Lord I'm so excited. Maureen at Glass Patterns Quarterly nominated me for a scholorship award at Glass Expo. Kay Bain Weiner called me last Friday and told me to pick a class. DEB CRAWLEY ON WEDNESDAY. I have wanted her classes for years. Oh and HELP!! HELP!! I am demoing on stage and need someone to watch my booth for about an hour and a half. Can't wait to see everyone. And deb's classes are fantastic.
Geneva
Old 2006-11-30, 7:48am
tweetysweetie

Whoohooooooooo, congrats Geneva....you will have a good time in the Crowley class...is that the beginner sculpture one? No matter, you'll learn lots and have much fun.

Chris...will be fun to see you again in Vegas! We'll all have to go for a drinkie-poo or something.

Arlene, if you make it again...stop by and say hi...

Jeri, I loved our new classrooms, didn't you? Just hope the lighting is a little more improved....Patti took note of that last year so I suspect it will be taken care of...and your right about the food.....the little seafood bar one???? Ahh, I made a pig out of myself each night on clam chowder & calamari........that is WHEN you could get a dang seat!!

I was at Cashman field for so long, my rental car kept trying to head that way last year instead of to the new hotel!! I kind of miss the old place, but the new venue is sooooooooo large and professional looking compared to years past.
Catharine

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2006-11-30 at 7:50am.
Old 2006-12-01, 1:39pm
Temptress

You guys are building my excitement up! I've registered for a class from Jeri & from Debbie. I can't wait to get there! Is it too early to be this excited?
Old 2006-12-01, 3:28pm

Silversage, For this show it's never to early. I live for his show. Oh your so right about the seafood bar Catharine, they have the best clam chowder and oysters on the half shell. I was at the Photoshop conf. in Sept. and had to take BF there. He loved it. Went and saw the Beatles Love show. OMG I was stunned. That is the best show I have ever seen.
I used to teach a Cashman in the old days. It is kind of strange to pass by the old show grounds. But this show has grown to be huge. I remember when it was less than 35 booths and mainly it was classes. We will have fun and I alway enjoy meeting new people and putting names to faces. See you there.
Geneva
Old 2006-12-02, 7:15am

Catherine, good reminder about the lighting, I really liked the new classrooms, so hopefully they will have any bugs out before we get there! I can't believe the bead bazaar is sold out! I better go make some beads, and if you guys come to my table and meet a tall lady with red hair, that's my MOM and it is her first bead show! Jeri
www.jeribeads.com
Old 2006-12-03, 10:55am
tweetysweetie

Silversage.....nope, never to early, and your right to be excited...Jeri AND Debbie! wow, your going to have some fun girl.
Geneva, I went to an "orignal" Glasscraft Expo back in the 80's...yes, the 80's..it was held at the Continental, mainly stained glass. Love the new venue..but sooooo much walking for me, which is good for my circulatory disease but I limp to my room each night.
Jeri...I'm teaching each day but Sunday, so that is my ONE day to shop, visit & enjoy everyone...so will be sure to stop by and meet your Mom!
For those that are attending...be sure to stop by and say hello, not only to me...but if you see any of the instructors...walk up & introduce yourselves...everyone is so friendly & approachable, we love meeting folks that we've only "talked" to on the boards especially!

Old 2006-12-04, 4:06pm
San Diego Toni

I went last year and had a great time. I would love to get registered for Deb's Friday class, but am waiting to get clarification on the cancellation policy. (YIKES that sounds bad!) With hubby back at sea duty, we don't know his underway schedule until the month before. If he's going to be away I won't be able to attend, and don't want to lose all or a chunk of the class fee. Unfortunately I don't think the USN will hold a ship in port because of my flameworking class schedule.

Jeez - I didn't really think about this before I signed on for 4 more years at sea!

toni

Old 2006-12-05, 9:26am
tweetysweetie

Toni....sounds like pretty much a "catch-22" situation for you. Deb's classes fill up very quickly & get wait listed usually before the end of Dec. At least, when I was her teaching assistant, and over the last few years..that has been the case. I hope you get good news before this happens. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 2006-12-12, 9:38am

Yeah folks....I know I can't wait. How did I miss the seafood bar? - I love calamari...must have been swamped whenever I went by. Definately will need to check it out this year. But I did manage to find the ice cream place - YUMMY......

I talked with Patty the other day and she was pleased about how classes were filling up - I'm also teaching everyday but Sunday. I'll need to spend that at my booth in the bead bazaar. Doesn't give ya a lot of time to shop, hang out etc. Oh well....I always manage to fit it in somehow.

Gee whiz, Jeri....we don't live that far from each other...but I have to be in Las Vegas to meet your family. Was great to meet your sister last year...and now your Mom. My son David wants to come with me...but taking a 20 year old to Vegas is just a trip to frustration land. Everything he "thinks" he wants to do ...he just misses age-wise. Maybe next year. So scary!

Lisa
Old 2006-12-12, 11:53am

Lisa - that seafood bar was literally like a "counter" and it always had a line when we had 20 minutes to eat! Next year we can each bring a son and get them to pick up our meals and deliver!! I can't wait to see you there, the students are really coming out in force, which is awesome! Jeri
Old 2006-12-13, 8:03am

Well this year I'm actually gonna stay over Sunday night...so maybe I'll be able to sit down and relax and eat a meal without having to watch my watch! Last year was a nightmare trying to catch the red eye - with every other crazy who came to Vegas for the weekend. Lines thru security were nuts.

The thought of sleeping in and not having to be at breakfast at 7am sounds kinda good. Not that I don't love sharing a early morning $1.99 breakfast with Big Dougie Rem.

I think I have talked Nolly into coming with me and sharing my table at the bead bazaar. This is huge! - not only cause Nolly is a hoot (to know her is to love her), but also my booth won't be empty on Fri and Sat when I'm teaching. Double bonus.

I'm really looking forward to this show because it's about the only time I get to really visit and talk with some of my favorite people esp. you guys Jeri and the ever fabulous Dr. Fab. Never get time at the Gathering to chat or say more than hi! - if I do have down time...I'm usually sleeping.

Bringing our sons does have some potential. David is a really decent beadmaker, but hasn't had much time on the torch lately - college keeps intruding...but he would like to get back into it and travel with me to shows and be my TA. Could be fun!

Looking forward to seeing ya'll and if we haven't met yet - please stop by and say howdy!

Lisa
Old 2006-12-14, 5:36am

WOW - Nolly coming means more great beads and great company, how wonderful. This is going to be a great show. Jeri
Old 2006-12-31, 12:18am
Ezzy

I first heard about this event in January 2006 from a woman who teaches classes on a Hot Head. When I mentioned it might be cool to go she really discouraged me; she made it sound like it was for people in the industry only. Well, I'm glad I found out different.

I mentioned it might be nice to go and the old man bought my admission to Leah Fairbanks' Wed/Thur class and I get to stay through Friday so I get to attend the show too. I can't decide if I'm more excited about the class or the show since I've *never* been to one before.

I'm really looking forward to this and hope I get to meet some people I know from LE.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-01, 9:53am
tweetysweetie

Ezzy....whoohoooooooo! I get to meet one of my chat buddies, lol. Glad you looked further into this and are getting to come. How could you not? being from Sparks and all...so close....Your going to love doing Leah's class. I did it about 7yrs ago, she is so sweet and patient, you'll learn much and have fun.

Disturbs me that your "hot head" teacher was so discouraging about this show, boohoo......it is for everyone! And speaking of HotHeads, one of the most talented operators of said torch is a teacher at GCE each year. Molly H, from Heritage Glass is one of the most incredible artists with that "noise monster" that I've ever seen. Kind, sweet & knowledgable too....

Old 2007-01-01, 12:40pm

Does anyone at all need help while at Las Vegas?? I so want to go but can't afford it.. LOL I would work for cheap.. LOL A class room assistant?? General Dogs Body?? I just need to get someone to share a room. I am sure I can swing the airlines tickets.. LOL
I think I could do it.. LOL I think I can doit.

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-01-02, 5:12pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I'll be there and I can't wait!! I went last year but had never been on the torch. Molly from Heritage glass showed me how to make a bead and then had me sit and make one!! It was overwhelming last year but I can't wait for this year!!! Just look for the short woman with the husband checking his watch every 5 minutes!! LOL
sue

Old 2007-01-02, 5:19pm
Crazy tool making guy....

Can anyone who was been to both Glass Expo and the Gathering give me an idea of how the shows compare size and shopping wise? Especially when it comes to beadmaking supply vending... Is it mostly hot-shop stuff?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 2007-01-03, 9:43pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
Ezzy....whoohoooooooo! I get to meet one of my chat buddies, lol. Glad you looked further into this and are getting to come. How could you not? being from Sparks and all...so close....Your going to love doing Leah's class. I did it about 7yrs ago, she is so sweet and patient, you'll learn much and have fun.

Disturbs me that your "hot head" teacher was so discouraging about this show, boohoo......it is for everyone! And speaking of HotHeads, one of the most talented operators of said torch is a teacher at GCE each year. Molly H, from Heritage Glass is one of the most incredible artists with that "noise monster" that I've ever seen. Kind, sweet & knowledgable too....
Right on!

Actually being from Sparks doesn't make it all that close - if I were to drive it would be a sucky 8 hour drive. I'm really looking forward to meeting you down there and get in touch with you and give you some specifics well before then.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-03, 9:48pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash View Post
Does anyone at all need help while at Las Vegas?? I so want to go but can't afford it.. LOL I would work for cheap.. LOL A class room assistant?? General Dogs Body?? I just need to get someone to share a room. I am sure I can swing the airlines tickets.. LOL
I think I could do it.. LOL I think I can doit.

Arlene, I don't know if this is any help but I'm going to be there on Wednesday and Thursday nites. I think the old man is going to fly down after work on Thursday, spend the nite, and attend the expo with me on Friday before we go home. But, he won't be there Wednesday and if you wanted to you could crash in my room. And, of course his/our plan might change so if it does Thursday would be fine too.
Old 2007-01-03, 9:49pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Just look for the short woman with the husband checking his watch every 5 minutes!! LOL
Send him to his room!

It really sounds like it's gonna be the bomb, I hope I get a chance to meet you too.
Old 2007-01-04, 2:02pm
A Splash o' Glass

Ezzy,
I'll be in the same Leah Fairbanks class. Looking forward to meeting you and taking this class. This will be my first bead class after 3 years on the torch. I took a marble class there last year, but I enjoy making beads so much more.

Old 2007-01-09, 8:19am
JulieV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneva View Post
Oh Lord I'm so excited. Maureen at Glass Patterns Quarterly nominated me for a scholorship award at Glass Expo. Kay Bain Weiner called me last Friday and told me to pick a class. DEB CRAWLEY ON WEDNESDAY. I have wanted her classes for years. Oh and HELP!! HELP!! I am demoing on stage and need someone to watch my booth for about an hour and a half. Can't wait to see everyone. And deb's classes are fantastic.
Geneva
Hey Everyone! Look forward to meeting you all.

Geneva, I arrive at the airport @ 8:30 am Wed. morning. Not sure how long it'll take to get to the South Point and get settled in, but I'll sure help you out while you demo if you like. I'm taking Lisa St. Martin's class on Thurs. & Fri., but other than that, I'm free to "booth sit" for you.

Old 2007-01-09, 4:02pm

Hi Julie, Thank you so much. The demo is on Sat or Sun. I will have to check with Maureen James at Glass Patterns Quarterly to see when it is. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours. The BF is comming with me but the web master, IT, and him are trying to get my site up. They think that between the Blue Tooth, Verizon, and my Laptop that they will be able to get a live feed onto the site for the show. He thinks it will be great for everyone on the forums to be able to see the show live for a few hours a day. We will see, they seem to be able to work magic but I don't think there is enough time..
South Point is pretty close to the airport. Drive time is less than 20 minutes. The airport bus service is pretty good. $15.00 will take you to the hotel and pick you up and take you back to the airport. Cabs are expensive there. Cars are cheap: $92.00 for a week. I think I am flying in on Monday night and flying out the next Tuesday night. So I will have a car.
Thank you again. I will get the info in the next day or so.
Geneva
Old 2007-01-09, 5:23pm
JulieV

No problem, Geneva. Except I believe I made a mistake; it looks like my class is Friday and Saturday. So I hope your demo is on Sunday. I'd love to help you out. Keep me posted.

Old 2007-01-16, 2:50pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post
Ezzy,
I'll be in the same Leah Fairbanks class. Looking forward to meeting you and taking this class. This will be my first bead class after 3 years on the torch. I took a marble class there last year, but I enjoy making beads so much more.
Oh goody, I'm so glad I'll get to meet another LE'er!
Old 2007-01-21, 9:13pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh Ezzy, it will be fun to meet another LE'er!!! I'm sure there will be quite a few........ I SO can't wait to go!!!!
sue

Old 2007-01-25, 7:28am

Hi folks,
If ya get a chance come by in Vegas and say hi...I'll be in my classroom for Wed - Sat and at my booth on Sun.

Jeff- Vegas is geared to glass in general - everything cold, warm and hot, but mostly for flameworking not hot shop blowers. It started out as a show for stained glass, then added fusers when that got popular and in the last 3-4 years has added a lot more lampworking. So, I think your tools might fit in nicely. But probably 75% of the vendors are for stained glass/fusing. Feel free to give me a call if I can answer any questions. The Gathering, of course, really concentrates on beadmakers - so it is your direct target audience.

Julie - well, I stood in line yesterday and got my passport application in. They were pleased that I was doing it so far in advance since I don't need it until I come up to Canada to teach this summer. Can't wait. Hope yours comes in time. Never needed a passport before, but between teaching in Canada and then in Italy in Sept. - woohoo! such crazziness!!

looking forward to it.

Lisa