Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-03-12, 10:31pm

How did you make the frit crusher?
Old 2015-03-12, 11:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunadelaOssa View Post
How did you make the frit crusher?
I have some 1.25 stainless shaft. some 1.5 steel pipe with a plate welded on the bottom. add busted glass and pound it with a hammer on my big black smithing anvil and pour it through screens.
Old 2015-03-12, 11:56pm

Thanks! I'm going to show this to my father-in-law and see if he'll make one up for me.
Old 2015-03-13, 3:16am

I use pvc pipe in 50mm size (about 2 inch)
and a narrow/tall bookshelf.

It was easy to buy the pvc pipe and add to it as needed. If you have access to vinyl fence rail, cut into short lengths that also makes an excellent add-on-able storage system (it's not readily available in Australia).

I think I started with about 30 'holes'. I bought in 1/4 lbs and only bought larger quantities as I learned what I used most.

After 9 years I still only have 3 shelves in the bookshelf filled with 1/4 lbs, and some larger quantities in a wine bottle shelf. Nothing fancy.
I probably have 100 'holes' all up.

I'd rather spend the money on glass than fancy storage.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!

Last edited by one hot beader; 2015-03-13 at 3:21am. Reason: Pic added
Old 2015-03-13, 9:26am
Phill

Just be mindful of the dust that crushing your own glass can make. That stuff causes serious damage to your lungs in very small quantities. Outside is best.

I lean toward using the torch to get the glass hot, pressing it real thin and dunking it in water to let it crackle into frit.

Recycled glass is inexpensive but you will find it much stiffer than the Italian types of glass and probably the System 96 and Bullseye kinds as well.
Old 2015-03-13, 11:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunadelaOssa View Post
Thanks! I'm going to show this to my father-in-law and see if he'll make one up for me.
here is a picture my frit crusher is small and simple.
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-13, 1:56pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
As many cubbies as you can afford.
I am with Shawnette, buy/build as much as you can afford in the space you have set aside for the storage and then buy as many different colors of whatever COE you decide to use. I love testing new colors and the more the better.

If I stayed with only a few colors or my favorites I personally wouldn't be able to stretch as a glass jewelry artist and I would get bored very quickly. But that's just me, you may love working with just primaries and black and white.

I use metal utility shelves with PVC drain spouts or fence rails etc, whatever will work, that I buy from Home Depot and cut up myself. I have COE's 90, 104 and some 96 rods but I have a ton of 96 frit. Give yourself space with room to grow because you probably will...rapidly.
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-13, 2:02pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
here is a picture my frit crusher is small and simple.

Be very very careful not to breathe any of the glass dust when making your own frit. The particles you will see floating everywhere are not dust, they are very microscopic sharp glass shards and once embedded in your lungs they do not leave. They can cause all sorts of health problems.

You can do it outside, use a full face respirator as you do not want any of that in your eyes either. Wet wipe clean any surface and any tools used when finished to keep them free of the glass dust. Store the frit tightly because every time it is moved small particles of glass dust are released.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2015-03-18 at 10:26pm.
Old 2015-03-13, 6:19pm
Phill

Loren Stump, the famous murrini artist, suggests the water method for that reason about the dust.

He said on one of the Corning Museum of Glass videos that you get a more uniform size
with less dust using the torch and water technique and what dust there is winds up going on to the lawn with the water as its poured off the top.

My plan is to use jars before they wind up in the recycle bin and pour off most the water and then up end it over paper towels or a coffee filter to dry on the top of a warm kiln.

Oh and don't use the same jar for different coe of glass. The incompatibility will show up just as you are admiring your work and it will turn to dust before your very eyes. He said it looks just like the disintegration scene they use in the science fiction movies. I think it was at the 40 minute mark in the class he was teaching.
Old 2015-03-13, 7:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Be very very careful not to breath any of the glass dust when making your own frit. The particles you will see floating everywhere are not dust, they are very microscopic sharp glass shards and once embedded in your lungs they do not leave. They can cause all sorts of health problems.

You can do it outside, use a full face respirator as you do not want any of that in your eyes either. Wet wipe clean any surface and any tools used when finished to keep them free of the glass dust. Store the frit tightly because every time it is moved small particles of glass dust are released.
I am super carefull , Iv been a machinist my whole life and have ground evil things and am super anal about glass dust.
Old 2015-03-14, 11:27am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
I am super carefull , Iv been a machinist my whole life and have ground evil things and am super anal about glass dust.
So glad to hear that as most peeps think of it as just dust. I know now you will be safe.
Old 2015-03-14, 12:04pm

I like to crack off with water and flame cut anything I can rather than score and crack.

I watched it in bright light and just snapping a tube or rod pops dust everywhere and it fly's around in the air, not good at all.
Old 2015-03-14, 12:13pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
As many cubbies as you can afford.
...to fill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-14, 10:07pm
Phill

Quote:
I like to crack off with water and flame cut anything I can rather than score and crack.

I watched it in bright light and just snapping a tube or rod pops dust everywhere and it fly's around in the air, not good at all.

Aye, this underscores the need for excellent ventilation too.
Old 2015-03-14, 11:13pm

Quote:

And now I am concerned about my young friend who fuses glass. I would imagine there is a lost of dust flying around when she cuts her glass. I hope that she wears a protective mask.
Old 2015-03-15, 4:37am

Default Glass Storage

This size has worked for me.
Attached Images

Old 2015-03-15, 10:39pm

What is it about this love affair with glass? I am mesmerized, Catherine and Lorraine, I look at your glass storage and find myself in a state.

My tubes came Friday, they've got a lot of identifying marks on them, so my first task will be to remove those.
Old 2015-03-16, 6:02am
Phill

If your turn them the only ones you really have to remove marks from are the ones along the outside edges and the top of your stack.

They have PVC pipe cleaner that pretty much does the trick and the lager cans are the better value.

PVC will cut just like wood on power tools and a spray bottle of water will cut most of the static to after you vacuum up the chaff.

A "carpet knife" with the hooked edge works really good at removing the burr from cutting the pipe with saws but a straight edged razor knife will work too.

But one of those "ratcheting hand cutter tools" is worth the money if you can either get the gorilla guy in your life to do it for you or get a couple of long metal pipes to fit over the handles of the cutter to give the leverage that a thousand cuts is going to require.

The ratcheting cutter will not do angles though.

The ratcheting cutter will still leave some very crisp edges so you will want to give them a slight chamfer with something.
A packet of sand paper will do the trick to just take a bit of the edge off.
Old 2015-03-16, 9:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA if that had you swooning you need to see Sheryl Kelseys stash I wish I could find the post/picture

Found it,

sit down

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...73&postcount=2
WOW!!!!!

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2015-03-16, 9:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I am with Shawnette, buy/build as much as you can afford in the space you have set aside for the storage and then buy as many different colors of whatever COE you decide to use. I love testing new colors and the more the better.

If I stayed with only a few colors or my favorites I personally wouldn't be able to stretch as a glass jewelry artist and I would get bored very quickly. But that's just me, you may love working with just primaries and black and white.

I use metal utility shelves with PVC drain spouts or fence rails etc, whatever will work, that I buy from Home Depot and cut up myself. I have COE's 90, 104 and some 96 rods but I have a ton of 96 frit. Give yourself space with room to grow because you probably will...rapidly.
Oh My!

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2015-03-16, 12:29pm

I asked my husband what the "real" name is for my chop saw is; he told me it is a compound miter saw. Back in '97 I received it as a birthday present and yes, it was per my request. Right now it sits in the 40 footer storage unit, but I think it is time to find a spot where I can make use of it.

Always good for a chuckle, thank you Phil, I figured this one out a little more quickly than the last time "They have PVC pipe cleaner that pretty much does the trick and the lager cans are the better value." Initially my thoughts turned to beer, but it is a wee bit early to think about that In advance of tomorrow I would like to wish everyone a "Happy St. Patrick's Day"
Old 2015-03-16, 1:03pm

Sometimes I scan these threads so quickly, @Nicole, I just saw your post. I've purchased enough pipe to make 48 cubbies, so I'll go ahead and get that set up. If at first I don't use them all, there will be room to grow into. The idea of initially purchasing 1/4 lb. of each color makes so much sense I can have an idea of what color I might use a lot of but until I actually begin melting glass.....and when I begin to run out of colors, oh well, guess I'll have to make another trip to the glass store
Old 2015-03-16, 3:43pm

After a couple of sales and some destash acquires I am coming to the conclusion that "I have enough glass" Gasp!

I have filled all my pipes twice over (you can double up if you only put two completely un-alike glasses in a hole. I mix transparents and opaques usually)

I have the palette nearly covered, I only need a few more opalino like colours now.

And if I get any more I will have to change my storage.

Old 2015-03-16, 4:55pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
After a couple of sales and some destash acquires I am coming to the conclusion that "I have enough glass" Gasp!
I didn't think that was possible
Old 2015-03-16, 5:40pm

I really don't need a kilogram of every single colour ever made. That's just being extravagant for me (who has a very limited income)

I have 'enough' for a while I think. Considering I used a teaspoon of frit and half a rod of topaz and half a rod of clear to make a set of 8 beads the other day.

I looked at my stash and tried to calculate how many beads that was...a lot.

Old 2015-03-16, 6:22pm
I fart diamonds

I have a 30lb box of glass that I haven't even gone through, just sitting in my kitchen because I have no place to put it. I guess I should at least open it and look at it.

Old 2015-03-18, 4:57pm
Phill

It is a rather delicious addiction is it not?
Old 2015-03-18, 5:32pm
Loving learning

I would suggest that you might consider upping your 1/4 pound to at least 1/2 or 1 pound of clear, & maybe white, black, & ivories, unless you just don't think you're going to use them.
Old 2015-03-18, 6:13pm

Hi Eileen

I will definitely take that into consideration. I am especially fond of the dark ivory and am going to want to try my hand at encasing. Presently I have three favorite colors that I'm looking at in my little bag of beads that I made. Must remember the bag when I go shopping.
Old 2015-03-18, 6:42pm
Loving learning

I also use clear to make the core of larger beads, so I can make the colors go further.