No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-07, 9:37pm
Beads Beads Glass

Cool COE test???

Short story... is there an easy way to figure out the COE of glass??

Here is what happened yesterday....

I was dragged to the Computer surplus store here in town on the promise that they had glass rods; I will admit I did not really think that they did, and I am happy to say I was wrong.

They had a dusty box of six foot long clear rods in 8-9mm and sold me the entire box. Now I have 84LB!!!! Of something I know nothing about.

I have tested it with the COE-104 I use and it’s a 50/50 braking issue so I know it’s not 104, it melts super easy. And when it’s hot the clear looks yellow???

All they manager could tell me about it was that they got it in a box lot and did not know what to do with it. One of the employees told me that they had a scary sword fight with two of the rods that was the end of their knowledge on the box of glass.

That is all I know. Any help in identifying this glass's COE would be greatly appreciated.

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2012-08-07, 11:07pm

Anything -- anything at all -- written on the box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-08-07, 11:16pm
Beads Beads Glass

nope, nothing at all, it was a badly made" and old" taped together box. I don't think it was the original box, no one in there right mind would ship glass like these were wrapped. the rods were in bubble wrap five - seven to a bundle and the bubble wrap was not taped so a bunch were loose in the bundles,

working on new blog
Old 2012-08-08, 12:21am
one day at a time

Uroboros clear turns yellowish when hot.
Old 2012-08-08, 1:10am
Happy Inner Dragon

Wow! Whatever it is, what a boon

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-08-10, 7:24pm

Have you tried doing a clear to clear stringer test? You heat and overlap melt about an inch of your mystery clear and a clear of a known coe and pull a stringer trying very hard not to let them twist as you stretch. Break off about a twelve inch or longer piece when cooled and lay it on a flat surface. If you get a stringer that curves like a banana you have non compatibility. It isn't foolproof of course, but it's a good indicator that they will not play well together and it's quicker than making a bead and annealing it. Even if you can't figure out it's coe you can always use it with frits (in small amounts) to make icicle ornaments.

Andrea

Last edited by Dreamsincolor; 2012-08-10 at 7:27pm.
Old 2012-08-11, 4:18am

my guess is 96. all the 96 clear i've had (not much i admit) turns amberish when hot.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:37am
Beads Beads Glass

I wanted to first thank you all for your help THANK YOU!!!!!

I agree I think its 96 I did the clear on clear test -way cool btw- and its NOT 104 I got some 96 today and will do the test again next time I am at the torch.
can not wait to see what it does.

working on new blog
Old 2012-08-13, 6:09pm
honorary bead lady

Get some 96 clear fusible sheet, full fuse a piece of the rod to a small piece and look thru a polariscope
Old 2012-08-14, 9:42pm
Beads Beads Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Get some 96 clear fusible sheet, full fuse a piece of the rod to a small piece and look thru a polariscope
Thanks!!!
I have some of the 96 sheet glass I will try this. but whats a polariscope??

I did pull it with some 96 clear rod I had, it did not bend at all so I am thinking 96 more and more

working on new blog
Old 2012-08-16, 11:50am

If you've got a pair of 3D specs from a movie and an LCD monitor, you can make a polariscope. I think I've posted it before, but I've got step-by-step pics here: Polariscope.

Your LCD screen gives you polarised light, the 3D specs give you a piece of polarised filter, and you hold the transparent object between them and can see stress lines. (Actual polariscopes have two filters and a light source: the LCD screen is a shortcut).

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-16, 7:25pm

If you are interested in parting with any of it and didn't mind cutting it into shipping size lengths, I'd be interested in taking some off your hands. LOL......seriously!

Andrea
Old 2012-08-16, 7:27pm

BTW, that clear on clear test saved me from mistaking dichroic BE for dichroic Effetre.

Andrea
Old 2012-08-26, 10:30am
Beads Beads Glass

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
If you are interested in parting with any of it and didn't mind cutting it into shipping size lengths, I'd be interested in taking some off your hands. LOL......seriously!

Andrea

Sorry, but I think I will hang on to it for now. but in looking into system 96 glass I found this place http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore/...GH0VGH572.aspx

It looks like they break it down to about 1.00 a rod, it looked like a good price, to me??? I have really only worked with coe 104 so I am new to the 96 world.. lol

working on new blog