LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-08, 8:12am

Default Celtic designs using leather stamps?

I've got an upcoming Celtic show on the calendar and would like to do some beads with a Celtic design embedded on them. I've seen some people use leather stamps for off mandrel work, but was wondering if anyone has tried using them for on the mandrel? If not, any suggestions?

Beaded Chic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-08, 8:17am
Glass Addict

I think Mary Lockwood has used a celtic leather stamp on some of her base beads for her dragons.... they looked great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-10-08, 8:28am

I love Mary's work and have the dragon tutorial, hence where I thought it might be possible to use stamps on the mandrel. (Haven't had the time to attempt the tut yet, As that is on the "off season" attempt list! - when I have time to play.

What I am trying to do is keep the size small enought that I can incorporate the beads into my jewelry work. Most of the Celtic stamps I am seeing are fairly large...easily upwards of three inches. Too big to wrap around the bead and too big for me to tab the glass and stamp it.

Beaded Chic

Old 2012-10-08, 3:43pm

I have used a leather floral stamp on a tab bead made with multicolour ( or it may have been fire lotus). It turned out well, but I had to get the base screaming hot and when I stamped it distorted the bead shape slightly. It is quite a big stamp though, about 2.5 cm in diameter. I bought 3 stamps including the one for Mary's tutorial, and one doesn't make a very good impression in the glass, so the stamp has to be very well defined. If I can find the bead, I will try and post a pic Jennie