Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-04, 7:02pm
needs to light the torch.

Default Etching Beads in a Tumbler???

I searched all of the key words and could not find any info. so...

What is the best grit to use?
Are there different grits?
Do different grits give a different effect?
Does grit ever get stuck in the bead holes and you can't get it out?
Any hints or tips???

I really like the idea of tumbling my beads instead of using acid or cream...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-05-04, 8:49pm

I tried it with the grit used in a sandblaster and just got a hot tumbler out of it. Would love to know what to add to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-05, 9:04am

Nicole, I like 400 grit silicon carbide. I do it outside, and rinse the objects well before i bring it in the house. It IS silica, and eventually breaks down to finer particles. Reasonable care, just like kiln/bead release.
It is WAAYYY too small to get stuck in the bead holes, almost like a coarse powder.
And it does take a while!

It is a lovely surface
Jacki
Old 2006-05-05, 9:18am
I'm a lilac!

I use a cheap kids' rock tumbler with either "medium" grit silicon carbide tumbling medium from the rock store or fine beach sand, and some smallish (8-12mm) pieces of broken glass as a medium. I put in about a cup of water and a drop of dishsoap (or else it gets oily) and tumble for at least two hours.

Old 2006-05-05, 9:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacki
Nicole, I like 400 grit silicon carbide. I do it outside, and rinse the objects well before i bring it in the house. It IS silica, and eventually breaks down to finer particles. Reasonable care, just like kiln/bead release.
It is WAAYYY too small to get stuck in the bead holes, almost like a coarse powder.
And it does take a while!

It is a lovely surface
Jacki
Hi Jacki,

Are you tumbling them dry?

Thanks,
Kevin W. Miller
Blue Moon GemWorks
http://www.bluemoongemworks.com
Old 2006-05-05, 9:20am
dances with ideas...

I was just researching this Nicole, because I'd like to get a tumbler with 2 canisters: one for beads and one for polishing jewelry. I believe that the key words I used were bead, tumble, tumbler. I'll send you my notes via email.

Old 2006-05-05, 9:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by i09172
Hi Jacki,

Are you tumbling them dry?

Thanks,
Kevin W. Miller
Blue Moon GemWorks
http://www.bluemoongemworks.com

NO! sorry

I use water with a bit of dish soap, and lots of glass shards of different sizes, plus some bead seconds for weight, and even some seed beads to get into textured surfaces. Those will get stuck in the holes though but it's not that hard to get them out.
Old 2006-05-05, 9:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacki
NO! sorry

I use water with a bit of dish soap, and lots of glass shards of different sizes, plus some bead seconds for weight, and even some seed beads to get into textured surfaces. Those will get stuck in the holes though but it's not that hard to get them out.
Thanks for the info, Jacki.

Kevin W. Miller
Old 2006-05-23, 3:51pm
needs to light the torch.

Jacki, Kalera, Roberta ~ I really appreciate your responses, Thanks so much

Old 2006-05-24, 2:31am
Save the Numbats

I've used a vibratory tumbler with 600 grit - it worked nicely. I used some tumbling weird plastic things as cushiony stuff. I did not have much sucess with weird shaped beads, just oval or round ones, and I think I will use a sandblaster for the weird shaped ones (this is boro, so I can't acid etch).
A nice lady recently put up a page about this... http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/tumbling.php 45 minutes? An hour? My vibratory tumbler took like 2 days. I'm thinking of getting a rotary tumbler - my vibratory one sounds like a dryer buzzer and I have to use it in the shed outside, far away.
Old 2007-06-19, 9:59pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

*bump*

So has anyone tried the 'recipe' on Corina's site for tumbling beads? Success?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-06-19, 10:11pm

I don't recall her recipe- but I use a 200- 1000 grit depending on my mood- about a tablespoon and plastic pellets. I just recieved the great tip to add seed beads to get in any crevices as well - I love the look and feel

I do use water and a bit of dish soap- tumble for between one and two hours usually
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-06-19, 10:15pm

ok- looked at her site- I don't generally go as fine as she does- but I like the etched look - I suspect it would look less matte the lower the grit
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-06-21, 5:56am
Bead Scientist

Does anyone use the stainless steel shot to tumble?

When Larry Scott was here last, I chatted with him about tumbling beads, and I thought this is what he used. It stuck in my head because I have a tumbler with SS shot for polishing silver, but I haven't tried it yet on beads. Now I guess I need to go dig it out and give it a try.

Vickie

Old 2007-06-21, 7:02am
Hummel factory reject

Kingsley North has good tumblers, mediums and everything you need. I use a 600 grit to tumble with the little plastic pellets, water and dish soap. SS shot is great for burnishing metal. Not intended for etching purposes.

Old 2007-06-21, 3:55pm
Angel-Headed Hipster

I use this method. Works very well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
*bump*

So has anyone tried the 'recipe' on Corina's site for tumbling beads? Success?

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear