No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-12-04, 3:26pm
Sheila

Default Anyone have a small studio?

I'm looking at converting our lawnmower storage "shed" into a studio. It's like a storage closet that has its doors outside of the house instead of inside (weird, I know--the architect who designed several homes in our neighborhood was fond of them). It's really not handy for the lawnmower, and I want to be able to park in the garage again!

It's about 6' long and 4' deep inside. I could set up my torch on one end and build some glass storage and cupboards on the other end, with a door in the middle that goes into the house. The door would be a French door, so I could see into the house, and I'd put a window in.

The other option is to move my workbench to a corner of the garage so I could park where I currently torch, but I'd lose all my warm air as soon as hubby or I open the garage door in the winter. Unfortunately, I can't wall in a studio area in there because of the layout.

What do you think? Anyone have a small space like that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by beadworkstudio; 2007-12-04 at 6:46pm. Reason: typo
Old 2007-12-04, 3:29pm

that sounds so cool! I don't know why you couldn't with the proper ventilation, but i'm not an expert. hope you get some answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-04, 3:37pm
Sheila

My Glasscraft hood definately wouldn't fit, but from what I've read they aren't the best I can do anyway. Doing the ventilation should be really super easy. I'd go straight up out the roof, with a fresh air vent coming in from under my workbench. Getting to/from the propane would also be easy because it's right near the back door.

Old 2007-12-04, 7:08pm

Default Small Studio

You are talking about using half the space in my studio. Mine is 8 x 12. I have a big worktable made of a piece of 4 x 8 plywood, a tall stool, a rolling cart and two oxygen concentrators on one side and on the other I have a mechanical drawing table, a book case and a tall wall cabinet with 4 doors. Since you don't need the last three items, you could likely manage with the 4 x 6 space. I keep my glass in PVC tubes on a tall bookcase which stands on my workbench and my stringers and some other types of glass are on the cart. I have storage shelves set back about a foot but underneath my workbench. That way I have storage but also have room for my feet. My building was also originally planned to house the lawn mower but I took it for my art supplies before it was even completed. Hope it works for you.
Carolyn
Old 2007-12-05, 5:10am

Carolyn,

Any pics of your set up? Your bldg size (8x12) is what I am considering...I would love to see pics!
Old 2007-12-05, 8:48am
da General

Sheila,

4x6 may be just a bit tight . . . you can do a 2' deep table for your torch and your glasscraft hood would still go in (mine is 22"x44") but do change the fan out so it's more powerful (that's what I am doing right now). Which kiln do you have? There may not be room for that. My glasshive kiln would work since it's long and narrow.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-12-05, 9:03am
Trying to Hope!

my table seating area is about that in my studio thread. about the travel trailer remodel if you want to look it up. :0 Woowoo you will love it as soon as you ger it set up right

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-12-05, 4:11pm
Sheila

I'm planning on getting a Glasshive kiln, too (whether I move my studio or not ). I have a Skutt GM10F, which I've been very happy with, but for its size it doesn't hold that many beads. I'd keep the Skutt in the garage and use it for fusing and PMC.

For ventilation, I think I can build a box above the work area and then figure out the right size fan. I'll have to talk to my contractor to see if we can come up with something fireproof. I was thinking about tile on the walls and hood above my bench.

I think with careful planning, I can get by with the small space, but I'll have to try to think of everything.

Old 2007-12-05, 5:54pm
da General

Emailed ya, Sheila!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-12-05, 7:01pm
Flamewoman

Would there be any way you could add on to the shed? With a few more feet of space I think you would be happier, if not less claustrophic. Can you extend the shed? Any pictures of what it looks like?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2007-12-05, 8:39pm
Sheila

I could probably go out a foot, but probably not much more. We're on a corner lot, and our house is angled a bit. I have to stay 10' from the property line and that corner is awfully close already. I've thought of that, and I'm going to ask my handyman when he comes out next month to finish our bathroom.

Old 2007-12-05, 9:21pm
Happiness is....

you could build a 3 sided thingy back behind the torch. that way you wouldn't have to worry about fireproofing behind the torch. Just bring it down from your ventilation Just a thought.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-12-06, 1:34pm
reaction junkie

my studio is 9X13 and I use about half of it for lampworking - so I would think you could make it all work as long as you were smart about space/organizing!

/
/
/
Old 2007-12-06, 2:10pm
birdergirl ~o~

my studio is about 6 x 9, and I don't use all the space, part of it is a walk through from house to garage with better shelving and organization it will be fine, my kiln is in an adjoining room but I only batch anneal for now.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-12-08, 2:56pm
Glassass

thats loads of room, im in a corner of the kitchen by the back door, my workspace is as big as my table which is about 4' by 2' and thats including the kiln on it, and some shelves on the wall in front and beside me.

Theres a pic on my site if you want to have a look