LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-09-17, 7:01am

Default Anyone have makeup air coming through your table?

I have read somewhere, and can't find it now, that having your makeup coming through holes around your torch will localize the the ventilation and with climate control in the studio

Does anyone know anything about that, like the best placement for the holes and such?
Old 2008-09-17, 8:14am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John the Fisherman View Post
I have read somewhere, and can't find it now, that having your makeup coming through holes around your torch will localize the the ventilation and with climate control in the studio

Does anyone know anything about that, like the best placement for the holes and such?
You need to set it up so that the torch is between the incoming fresh air and the exhausting fumes. It can be holes in the table, it can be a duct beside the torch, or it can be a duct in the front of the work table.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-17, 8:24am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is simple how to....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-17, 8:37am
Borovangelist

so wait...I have a fresh air register on the bench, in front of the torch, the torch is mounted to the edge, and the vent is above via a hood. Is that good or bad? Seems to be working aside from having to clean out some glass from the duct occasionally, but I figured I'd ask.

|
|
Old 2008-09-17, 8:55am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
so wait...I have a fresh air register on the bench, in front of the torch, the torch is mounted to the edge, and the vent is above via a hood. Is that good or bad? Seems to be working aside from having to clean out some glass from the duct occasionally, but I figured I'd ask.
If it works to exhaust fumes, it's definitely good. If it works to exhaust them without you inhaling any of them, it's superb.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-17, 9:14am
Borovangelist

yeah, I mean I did check it over a 15 minute span with windows closed with some incense and it worked. Windows made it so I could wait outside

As an added benefit I've got an airflow on my bench where I can take the glow out of stuff quickly if need be.

|
|
Old 2008-09-17, 9:23am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
yeah, I mean I did check it over a 15 minute span with windows closed with some incense and it worked. Windows made it so I could wait outside

As an added benefit I've got an airflow on my bench where I can take the glow out of stuff quickly if need be.
There are lots of "formulas" being proposed for vent systems but the ONLY way to be sure yours works is with a smoke test.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-17, 9:28am

Sorry, i forgot a word in the first post. I heard this will "help" with climate control in the studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
You need to set it up so that the torch is between the incoming fresh air and the exhausting fumes. It can be holes in the table, it can be a duct beside the torch, or it can be a duct in the front of the work table.

Gotcha, thanks.

I have several ideas so once i decide on one I'll do a smoke bomb test.

I'll post pics once saws start running

Thanks Dale.

Once the admins at that site approve me I'll check out the pics.
Old 2008-09-17, 9:48am
Borovangelist

still need to figure out where to get a smoke bomb. They're frowned upon here in Massachusetts. I suppose I could just toss some grass in a metal bucket on cinder blocks, let the room fill then turn on the fan. Just need to run a long extension cord to outside the studio.

|
|
Old 2008-09-17, 9:57am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
still need to figure out where to get a smoke bomb. They're frowned upon here in Massachusetts. I suppose I could just toss some grass in a metal bucket on cinder blocks, let the room fill then turn on the fan. Just need to run a long extension cord to outside the studio.
I've had good results with incense sticks.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-17, 10:33am
Gentleman of Leisure

A search of the internet, in industrial safety ares will produce a chemical smoke stick/tube that when uncapped produces smoke. When capped it is inert. These smoke sticks are used by HVAC and commercial fire suppression systems maintenance people to see where the air flows are... It could be a useful tool in testing glass studio ventilation....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-17, 11:29am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
A search of the internet, in industrial safety ares will produce a chemical smoke stick/tube that when uncapped produces smoke. When capped it is inert. These smoke sticks are used by HVAC and commercial fire suppression systems maintenance people to see where the air flows are... It could be a useful tool in testing glass studio ventilation....

Dale
Most places that refill fire extinguishers sell smoke sticks.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-17, 1:22pm
No Problem!

The vent for make up air should be no smaller in area to that of the exaust duct. Placement can be in front of the torch, but far enough back that the up-draft doesn't cause your flame to blow around.

Smoke bombs? Just twist up a piece of paper towel really tight, light the end and blow it out and you'll have plenty of smoke to perceive the air flow with.. Just have a metal can or something filled with water handy to extinguish it in. No need to fill up the shop with smoke..you just need to see that the flow is strong around your work area.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-09-18, 6:52am

You can get smoke tubes here: http://www.labsafety.com/search/smok...sredirect=true

I built my bench with supply air brought in from outside using the basic plan that Dale posted. It works very well. I smoke tested the whole thing and made a few minor adjustments to improve the air flow. The studio temp. stays pretty much where we want it when I'm working.

Robert