Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-04-30, 4:28pm

Default I so LOVE this program!!!

Anyone who takes alot of photos will love this program. I own nearly every photo editing and cataloging software on the planet. This FREE software program by Google is one of my favorites. I think everyone should download it.

It's called Picasa2. You can download it here http://picasa.google.com/
Old 2006-05-01, 11:54am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks, Vena, for reminding me of Picasa!! I had this and loved it..lost it a few months ago in a crash and had forgotten about it...I downloaded it this morning...pat
Old 2006-05-01, 8:09pm

Thanks for sharing the link, Vena. That's a neat program!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-01, 9:43pm
Corgi Cult Member

It's so easy to use that even I can do it!!
kathy
Old 2006-05-03, 4:24am
Wacky but Wonderful

Yes, thank you for the link - what a nice little program. I can't believe the freeness of it (but I do enjoy it!) I like the "I'm feeling lucky" button and am amazed that it worked. It combined three steps from my old program into just one. Nice!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Old 2007-03-29, 1:33pm
Is it May yet?

Any one know how this compares to GIMP?

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2007-03-30, 7:51am
Out of the biz

It doesn't compare, Venessa - they do different things. GIMP is for photo editing, Picasa is a photo organizer with a nifty little feature to allow you to create web photo albums.
Old 2007-03-30, 8:02am

You can do some simple editing with Picasa, too. If you haven't tried the straighten tool, you should. It's very cool. You can also crop, do red eye correction and do simple color and light adjustments. I haven't used Gimp so I don't know how it compares, but Picasa is pretty good for a free product. It automatically finds all pictures on your hard drive and allows you to organize them, share them and make very good slide shows.
Old 2007-03-30, 8:06am
Out of the biz

That's pretty cool - the last time I used it, it just grabbed all the photos off my drive and organized them very nicely. The addition of some tweaking tools is pretty nice. Thanks for the info!
Old 2007-03-30, 9:39am

wicked! Thank you so much - it's still organizing lol my goodness do I ever have allot of photo's

Thank you sooo much this may just solve my problems!! You've made my day

Liz

Etsy

The fish is running outa room
Old 2007-03-30, 5:22pm
NW Oregon

Can Picasa be used as a photo host for Ebay? [I'm not happy with having Ebay host the photos....they lose their crisp-ness. Don't want to use Photobucket because I don't like their policy. I don't want them to pass my email address on to advertisers.] Would Picasa work?

Thanks
Jennifer

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2007-03-30, 5:38pm

Picasa doesn't host photos. Do you get any hosting allowance with your internet provider? I used to just upload my photos to my web space and link my eBay auctions to them there before I started using InkFrog.
Old 2007-03-30, 5:38pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_W View Post
It doesn't compare, Venessa - they do different things. GIMP is for photo editing, Picasa is a photo organizer with a nifty little feature to allow you to create web photo albums.
Thanks! I quickly figured that out...but I did find an editing program that I like better than GIMP!!

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2007-06-05, 8:55pm

Thanks from me. My friend told me last night he read about really a good photo software program for free in the Chicago Tribune.
But he could not remember much except the word sounded like Picasa!
I figured I would never find it with only that to go by.
What great timing. I need something to get started. Something really easy to orginize and do simple editing.
How cool. I think I've found it!!!
Thanks a bunch!
Angela
Old 2007-06-05, 9:00pm

Ok. I have a really dumb question. If I use Picasa can I upload the pictures from there to here, or will I have a link that people will need to click on here.
Thanks,
Angela
Old 2007-06-05, 9:14pm

Angela, Picasa doesn't host the images. They'll still be on your hard drive, so you can upload them here using the 'browse' button in the attachments window.
Old 2007-06-06, 2:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDinBC View Post
Angela, Picasa doesn't host the images. They'll still be on your hard drive, so you can upload them here using the 'browse' button in the attachments window.

Ah-Ha! Now I get it. I'm really showing my ignorance aren't I? <G>.
Well that does sound like really nice software if it is free and you can use it on your computer.

Ok. Here's another question. Has anyone heard of this?
http://www.picnik.com/app

Cool Tools recommended it. "I've seen many quick and dirty photo editing programs via web browser, but this Flash-based editor definitely takes the cake. Hands down, the ease of use is the best part."

If you can tell by reading the above recommendation or know of Picnik could you please tell me how these two programs differ? I mean Picnik says it uses the Web so does that mean you can only view them via the web so I could only place a link on here to there? And with Picasa since it's software on your own computer then you can view them where-ever you want pretty much? I really need to learn this!
Thanks a bunch,
Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-06-06 at 2:46pm.
Old 2007-06-07, 9:48am

What I learned....
Picnik edits and you can send/link them anywhere like Picasa or here or your own computer. Picasa is more for orginizing, and Picnik is more for editing. I think. Though it sounds like Picasa can do enough editing for someone as savy as me!
Angela
Old 2007-06-07, 10:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
SNIP:
Ok. Here's another question. Has anyone heard of this?
http://www.picnik.com/app

Cool Tools recommended it. "I've seen many quick and dirty photo editing programs via web browser, but this Flash-based editor definitely takes the cake. Hands down, the ease of use is the best part."

If you can tell by reading the above recommendation or know of Picnik could you please tell me how these two programs differ? I mean Picnik says it uses the Web so does that mean you can only view them via the web so I could only place a link on here to there? And with Picasa since it's software on your own computer then you can view them where-ever you want pretty much? I really need to learn this!
Thanks a bunch,
Angela
Geesh, I'm reading what I wrote and it doesn't even make sense to me. LOL!
I have so much to learn. I thought that with Picnik you could only view photos on Picniks site. I guess you call that web-hosting, like Photo-Bucket?
Now I know that you can orginize your photos with Picasa, do some editing, and use Picnik to do even more editing and not sure what all, yet....
Angela
Old 2007-06-07, 1:54pm

Thank you for both of these programs (Picasa and Picnik). I downloaded both of them.
I've had a program before that was free called Irfanview but it is so complicated I have too much trouble resizing the photos to use on LE.
These programs are great. I already resized a photo and it was so easy I couldn't believe it!
Now, can someone tell me it will be that easy to get pics from these programs to use in something like Etsy?
Old 2007-06-19, 7:17pm

Please help. I have created a monster!
I downloaded Picasa and scanned my entire computer.
Well it found pictures that I don't want to have in Picasa. I also have so many duplicate pictures transfered from my old computer that it grabbed and pictures it found in mail attachments, etc., that it's still a mess.
I would like to delete duplicates of pictures but if I understand the warning it says it will delete them from my disk drive too. Is this correct?

Do I need to go to the disk drive and delete them there so I don't delete all copies?
Or I was thinking I could uninstall it, reinstall it and choose for it to only grab photos from the one folder I care about.
In other words what is the best way to set-up Picasa? I read the FAQ but I'm still not sure.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Angela
Old 2007-06-19, 7:21pm

Here's what it says on their website, Angela:
"If Picasa finds folders you don't want, go into Tools > Folder Manager to tell it which folders to scan once, scan always or remove. To remove individual pictures from your library, simply select a photo and right-click to delete it permanently from your computer or hide it from Picasa." Hope that will help you clean it up!
Old 2007-06-20, 11:04am

Kathy, that's it! I need to use the Folder Manager and have it remove them from Picassa. I read that before but didn't catch the meaning of 'remove'!

I've already accidentally deleted pictures from my hard-drive. I restored them but am not sure if it worked too well so figured I better stop before I did even more damage.
Anyway I will do the above and see if that doesn't help me.
Thanks for pointing the way,
Angela
Old 2007-06-20, 11:46am

Kathy it worked! It is so much better now. I can actually figure out why a folder is where it is, and what is in it !

Does anyone else feel like there is a learning curve with Picasa? I mean I love the software but for some reason the instructions just aren't clicking for me.
I need Kathy be my Interpreter.
Angela
Old 2007-07-15, 2:06pm

Smile This is great!

Vena,
Thanks so much for this recommendation! It is really easy to use and the autofix feature is the best I have tried so far! Thanks again.
Sam
Old 2007-07-15, 3:18pm
In search of her path....

Vena! your awesome! holy crap! this program is awesome!
just need to figure out how to make it ignore a couple sections of my harddrives and ill be golden!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-07-15, 7:26pm
Ex-lurker

My sister in law got me hooked a few years ago on Picasa and I just love it! I was using the program from my camera and it was awful.

Try it, you'll like it..........

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2007-08-30, 4:50pm

THANKS for sharing this program - it's so easy to use. I was having a hard time getting good pictures with my other program...this one is a piece of cake to use
Old 2007-08-30, 8:11pm

I'm having a hard time getting good pictures with Picasa! When I crop a picture it makes the bead so much bigger that the pixels are too big and it ends up looking fuzzy or blurry.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Old 2007-08-30, 8:39pm

Make sure that if you have a firewall that this program doesn't get to connect everytime you turn computer on.
Google is into tracking people...etc
they can see all your pictures. It's kind of a program where they can catch pedophiles.
Just so you know. Same as Google Earth...Kind of spooky to be able to put in an address and then it tracks it!
Irene