LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-26, 11:45am
Striking-impared...

Default What's a Good Substitute for Ivory?

I love the Moretti ivory (dark and light), but for a project, I need something stiffer, that won't melt all over the place.

So I've looking for something ivory-ish. I was looking at CIM Butter Pecan light. Ginger is nice but maybe a little too pinky.

Any other suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-26, 11:49am
Entropy increasing....

How about translucent ivory?
Old 2009-07-26, 12:04pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

silver pink maybe?

Old 2009-07-26, 12:11pm
Yeah me!

Another vote for silver pink.

Old 2009-07-26, 12:53pm
He can do the origami

Gail,
If you are going to use a single color, I would pick silver pink also. Depending on what project you are doing, you may have the option of making your base gather with a stiffer glass and then using ivory over the top of it. I have a specific glass item I make that I need ivory for but it has to be stiffer, so I will usually use Moretti black as the base gather. That gives more stiffness to the project.

Otter
Old 2009-07-26, 1:55pm
Beadmaking.nl

Instead of Ivory, I would suggest Yellow Ice from Vetrofond.

Great color!

Old 2009-07-26, 2:45pm
Born Facing Left

Opal yellow might do the trick?

Old 2009-07-26, 4:10pm
Striking-impared...

Thanks for all your suggestions! Since I can get a single rod of silver pink, I'll start with that and see what happens.

Wasn't able to find Yellow Ice to check the color, but I know opal yellow (at least the opal yellow I have) is too yellow.

I have thought about using a base of a transparent with ivory to make it stiffer, but with this project, it's not feasible.

Old 2009-07-26, 4:29pm

Honey crunch is like a stiff version of ivory. Even reacts pretty much the same.
Old 2009-07-26, 5:09pm

I second Vetrofond Yellow Ice. It is definitely stiffer than regular Ivory but you won't get the same reactions.

Minor with tanked oxygen.
Old 2009-07-26, 5:56pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasminann View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions! Since I can get a single rod of silver pink, I'll start with that and see what happens.

Wasn't able to find Yellow Ice to check the color, but I know opal yellow (at least the opal yellow I have) is too yellow.

I have thought about using a base of a transparent with ivory to make it stiffer, but with this project, it's not feasible.

Try the opal yellow pale; it's much closer to Ivory than the regular opal Yellow.

Old 2009-07-26, 5:57pm

Hi, I often use Cim Butter Peccan instead of ivory because it is stiffer & does not react to other colours. Thanks, Cynthia from Australia
Old 2009-07-27, 9:29am

All of these are good suggestions. What about using a clear base and encasing that in ivory, Yellow Ice, Pale Opal Yellow, Butter Pecan, et al? The clear would definitely make the base stiffer.

Good luck!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2009-07-27, 10:22am
Striking-impared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
All of these are good suggestions. What about using a clear base and encasing that in ivory, Yellow Ice, Pale Opal Yellow, Butter Pecan, et al? The clear would definitely make the base stiffer.
Unfortunately, this project involves a bit of sculpture, so the ivory parts that stick up off the bead may end up melting before I am done.

Thanks to everyone who has responded -- I appreciate it greatly!

Old 2009-07-28, 11:01am
Lampworkaholic!

Yellow Ice is also called Vanilla Ice by some vendors. Effetre Silver Pink is awesome, so are Messy Butter Pecan and Ginger. Honey Crunch can be shocky but is fairly stiff. Messy Stone Ground or Canyon de Chelly might work for the Dark Ivory.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2009-07-29 at 11:48am.
Old 2009-07-28, 1:40pm
Melting

Pale avacado. It has striations too.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2009-07-29, 6:34pm

vetrofond ivory is stiffer- also seems a little less reactive to me-

Old 2009-07-29, 7:01pm
Fancy Mammal

I find, in general, that the CiM colors are stiffer. I also find I have to be more careful about keeping them warm when doing larger sculptural stuff.