Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-26, 11:52am

Default Clear gone gray??

I have been having some trouble with my clear glass turning gray??

It first I thought it was a bad chemtane tank, as I work on a hot head with chemtane, so I used a friends... still gray. Then I thought the glass was a miss marked, so I dug out an old clear punty and tried it with no luck... still gray.

I was hoping anyone had some thoughts to help me out. UGH!!

Thanks in advance,

Nicky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by uncommonglass; 2009-07-26 at 11:53am. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-07-26, 12:15pm
Yeah me!

You may just be working it too hot. Moretti clear has a tendency to get yucky if worked too hot. Or, since your on a HH, it could be soot or unburned fuel.

Old 2009-07-26, 12:16pm
Striking-impared...

It sounds like a sooting problem. What happens if you work further out in the flame?

It's possible also that your HotHead might need a cleaning, although I couldn't tell you how to do it (or if you can clean the new ones).

Have you drained your hoses lately? (If you are on bulk Chemtane, not the 1-lb bottles.)

What about other colors, like white? If it's soot, it will show up clearly on a white bead.

Old 2009-07-26, 12:28pm

It seems as though all the other colors are fine, but since I want to encase today, clear is the one to give me trouble.

It has been quite a while since I've lit my torch. I have not drained the hoses, and I was surprised that the torch lit without any problems! Sometimes it sputters. Tonight I will disassemble and hang.

I am using Moretti and hadn't had a problem with working too hot, but I will go out and try your suggestions.

Thank you both for your quick reply!!

Old 2009-07-26, 1:57pm

An update on my trouble shooting...

I went to Menard's and got a bottle of Mapp/Pro to use instead of the bulk tank of Chemtane and my bead came out perfectly clear. Does gas go bad??

Now, I know that it is not the glass or my HH.

I have my hoses hanging to drain to see if that is the problem.

Last edited by uncommonglass; 2009-07-26 at 1:59pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-07-26, 2:02pm
Striking-impared...

Glad to know that you found the problem!