LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-07, 1:22pm

Default Are you running on an oyxgen concentrator?

When I first started I got the last used oxy con from Dave Barnes...who decided he wasn't going to sell them any more.

It worked great for a few years...

And here is the moral of the story. New or used...your oxy concentrator will not DIE....it will slowly fade away. So if you are on one, how long?

Want to know the signs... you get reduction where it shouldn't be. This won't happen overnight... I kept cleaning the ports...etc...that did nothing...because my concentrator just kept putting out 5psi...I figured it was fine...

Well it wasn't...my lauscha purple kept reducing...couldn't work edp for the life of me...

I don't know if anyone has ever posted anything on how to know when your concentrator is due for a tune up but....remember it won't go forever and it won't just die... Your flame will look the same...but you will start having trouble with colors that easily reduce...

I struggled for a long time before I decided to get the regalia and the difference was even more startling than night and day...not only how it effected colors but my goodness I hadn't become a terrible beadmaker...

when I had enough heat I could make lovely bicones...so...keep in mind...
if you are on a concentrator... the signs that it needs a tune up are subtle...

I could not have determined it from the look of the flame...it was how the glass worked and at the end...having reduction where there should have been none...

Beads galore at my ebay store!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2008-03-07, 1:29pm

Interesting. I'm on tanked oxygen because of the unknowns (for me) about finding a good concentrator, keeping one running, and any other negatives to the concentrators. On the other hand, I'm out of oxygen for the past week and wishing I had one as back up. Someday.
Old 2008-03-07, 1:29pm

will the regalia fade away too, in time???..kath
Old 2008-03-07, 1:32pm
ManBearPig

All concentrators will need to be rebuilt eventually. The sieve beds wear out and stop doing their job. Anyone that sells concentrators can rebuild them for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-07, 1:52pm
Gay rights R human rights

I have 1 in the shop right now....luckily I have 2 others so I can always torch. I am thinking of selling all 3 tho and getting a new m-15.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-03-07, 1:57pm
No Problem!

I use an Airsep Dual AS-12A unit with the 20gal holding tank and regulator..one of the more expensive setups out there and I can't say that I've used anything else but it's been there for me for years.
Mine's been going for over 8 years. I had diminishing output after awhile but I rebuilt the compressors year before last and one compressor ended up dying last year and I replaced it entirely..the output was restored with these repairs.
But even a whole new compressor is under $300..I'd use that much in bottled oxy in a month no problem.

I was told by the head of the tech dept at Airsep that the compressor rings and seals will wear out, sometimes the solenoids need replacing, the motherboard can be fried by running it on improper voltage or power surges but that the sieve beds are self-regenerating and last indefinitely..(so long as you don't open them or disconnect the closed lines, they'll be ruined by exposure to open air for too long...)
Just thought I'd mention this..many units out there but they all work using the same basic principals. Maybe the air-sep guy was wrong but with my setup the sieve beds are still good, it's the compressor that wears out..
The only way to know if the sieve beds are working optimally is to test the purity of the output, but that requires another expensive device..would be cool to find a place to rent one for a day..
Anyway, in most cases they're worth every penny and pay for themselves (and repairs) pretty fast depending on the volume you're using..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-03-07, 3:18pm

I thought of this as I was looking up information about DH...I have some new ones to try. It occurred to me that if you are having trouble with the new silver glass and on a concentrator...the problem could be the concentrator.

When I moved up to the regalia the difference was night and day...I am sure getting my old concentrator tuned up would have been good too...I am not sorry tho, now, that I got the regalia...it is heavenly.

))

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!