Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-12-11, 6:36pm
Creatrixie

Talking MerryFool's "Making Wool Beads" Tutorial

I got my "Making Wool Beads" tutorial done!
It's up in my Etsy store now for sale and some of you lucky LE members will be receiving it as a Secret Santa gift...
Ho Ho Ho!
(It costs $15 USD --no shipping fee since I'm emailing it, but I DO need to know an email address that can handle a large file. Yahoo doesn't like them, which is why I'm sending through my gmail account. I usually do all my daily convo on my mmacvoy(at)yahoo(dot)ca account, which is also my paypal contact)

(just click on "My Etsy" in my siggy to go there! or click here!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104

Last edited by MerryFool; 2008-12-12 at 7:53am. Reason: Clarification
Old 2008-12-11, 6:42pm

Those are so cute Mary!
Lori
Old 2008-12-11, 7:01pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

cool!

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-12-11, 7:46pm

Big hugs to you Mary for the tut!! Thanks I can't wait to try it! Becky
Old 2008-12-11, 11:12pm

Pretty beads!

Old 2008-12-12, 12:06am
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are really pretty!

Old 2008-12-12, 12:07am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I love those beads!! As soon as I can whip up some cash I'll buy that tut!

Old 2008-12-12, 6:32am
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Good Morning! Hope you recieved my paypal $$$ Let me knowTHANKS!!

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2008-12-12, 7:49am
Creatrixie

Thanks guys!

I PM'd you noodlesaurus...

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-12, 1:48pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Is there any chance you can post the materials list for these? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of supply gathering I am in for if I buy your tut.

If the materials list gives the tut away I understand if you don't want to post it.

Old 2008-12-12, 4:04pm
Creatrixie

Mary Beth,
No problem...it doesn't hurt my tut to say what you need:

Dyed wool roving (I used a silk/merino wool mix)
38 gauge all-purpose felting needle
a foam pad to felt on safely
Cotton or Silk Embroidery Floss
Seed beads in a various colours and sizes
Fine embroidery needle
Small sharp scissors

(I share my sources on where I get my supplies and my techniques in the tut . )

~Mary

COE 104

Last edited by MerryFool; 2008-12-12 at 4:04pm. Reason: Clarification
Old 2008-12-12, 4:33pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thank you! That helps a lot! I think the main thing I would need to buy would be the wool roving. I'll have to consider this after Christmas - those beads are really pretty. They would look really cool as zipper pulls on sweaters!

Old 2008-12-13, 4:03am
Knob Creek Glass

Etsy says that you are out of stock!
Old 2008-12-13, 8:43am
Creatrixie

ack! That's because I sold one...um, lemme go see what I can do about that! Thanks for the heads up barbara!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-13, 9:11am
Creatrixie

Okay, I figured it out and have made it as a "multiple" listing so that it will be there in the shop when people want to order it!
Don't forget, you'll need to provide me with an email address that can handle receiving a large file.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-13, 10:16am
Boro Brat

I totally want this...hopefully after x-mas!! I'm envisioning combining glass and metals and maybe some e-formed stuff in the fiber beads to use in my mixed media pieces...ohhhhhhh it would be cool! Thanks for making this tut, Mary!!

Old 2008-12-13, 11:18am
Creatrixie

I've PM'd you, Pipyr...

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-13, 9:40pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

Awesome Mary!!!!! I Love Those And So Glad To Get A Ready Made One In An Exchange We Did!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-12-15, 6:22pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I just bought this! I want to learn this technique and I think starting with beads is just perfect! Besides the fact that these are so gorgeous!

Old 2008-12-15, 7:07pm
Creatrixie

I'm glad that one of my felted babies is in your collection Susan!

I can't wait to see what you Create, Mary Beth! I like to make up a "supply" of felted wool beads, then I pick and choose which one to stitch on from the pile. I do a number of stitched beads and then decide what kind of jewellery that I want to make with it. It's a very organic process of creativity.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-15, 7:32pm
In search of her path....

This looks like a fantastic Tutorial Mary!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-12-17, 11:55am
1 Martini Shy of Nirvana!

OMG those are so fun looking....now do I have the skills to pull something like that off!!!

Old 2008-12-17, 1:03pm
Creatrixie

...it's entirely possible, Michelle-Marie. All you need is the "know-how", some patience and an open mind!

~Mary

COE 104

Last edited by MerryFool; 2008-12-17 at 1:04pm. Reason: :)
Old 2008-12-17, 2:11pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I think the hardest part for me so far is choosing the colors that I want to buy! The tut is wonderful! Very nicely illustrated with lots of good suggestions!

Old 2008-12-17, 2:50pm
Creatrixie

Wink So many delicious choices...

Thanks MaryBeth!

To start, I'd suggest buying a package of variegated dyed wool in a colour family that you like. It gives you a lot of choice of coordinating colours to work with. (=The "most bang for your buck"!)

You should have a pretty good idea if you like Natural/Neutral tones, or Jewel tones, or "Candy Colours"/Intense Pastels (like me!), or Primary colours...

Here are some sellers on ebay to check out for supplies:
Winderwood Farm(my fav. seller!), Wistyria, Red Barn Farm

Don't forget when you're choosing what colour embroidery floss to embellish your beads with, that you want to have some kind of contrast in the colours so that your stitching shows up -- whether that contrast is through black or white, a darker or lighter version of the colour of the base bead, or a complementary colour to the base bead's colour.
The same goes for your choice of seed beads. Decide on if you want to it contrast through colour or texture or size...

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-17, 3:39pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, Mary! I'll have to check those sellers out! I found a seller on Etsy that I like also and they are here in Colorado. I might have to try them all

Old 2008-12-17, 3:42pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I really like that first seller you listed! Lots of varigated colors and variety packs

Old 2008-12-17, 3:49pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I'm back!!!

I do have a question. About how many one inch beads does once ounce of the wool make? I've never done this before so I don't know if an ounce is a lot of wool or not

Old 2008-12-17, 5:46pm
Creatrixie

Hey Mary Beth...
One ounce should go a long way. I bought a 4 oz. roll of hand-dyed variegated merino wool/silk roving from Winderwood farm last year and I still have some left. I've made LOTS of beads out of that roving.
--Just remember that the amount of roving that you use for each bead is going to start out about twice the size that you want the finished bead to be.
No guarantees of course, but if I had to guess how many beads one ounce of roving can make, I'd say...45-60? (I guess I should pay more attention!) I just make up a bunch at a time so that I have a supply to work from.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-12-19, 11:49pm
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
Thanks MaryBeth!

To start, I'd suggest buying a package of variegated dyed wool in a colour family that you like. It gives you a lot of choice of coordinating colours to work with. (=The "most bang for your buck"!)

You should have a pretty good idea if you like Natural/Neutral tones, or Jewel tones, or "Candy Colours"/Intense Pastels (like me!), or Primary colours...

Here are some sellers on ebay to check out for supplies:
Winderwood Farm(my fav. seller!), Wistyria, Red Barn Farm

Don't forget when you're choosing what colour embroidery floss to embellish your beads with, that you want to have some kind of contrast in the colours so that your stitching shows up -- whether that contrast is through black or white, a darker or lighter version of the colour of the base bead, or a complementary colour to the base bead's colour.
The same goes for your choice of seed beads. Decide on if you want to it contrast through colour or texture or size...
Thanks for those links Mary and tips too! I was wondering about where I could get the wool. I really want to try this so let me sell some beadies and I'll for sure be back to gt mine! It looks fun and I already know how awesome your graphics are! (eye tut)

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.