Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-12, 8:54pm
da General

Diana, love to see what you make with Luna 2!!! Please do post pix!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-12, 10:02pm
Astro Cat

Great tutorial!
Old 2008-11-05, 3:45pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thank you so much Hayley and Steph!!!!!! I have this color and have never been able to make it work! Ummmmm it acts like Raku actually escpecially with seeing the dark tones first I love the tut on the bead too it makes using this color so much more fun!!!!
TTFN

Old 2008-11-05, 4:22pm

Michelle! We are so pleased to read your post! Thank you and post some pics if you get a chance.

Old 2008-11-21, 1:46pm
New Grandma

I kept looking at the pages following it I was with my DH and said I cant find the end. I thought it was a little weird. But what was there was great.Thanks for the rest. I always like a happy ending.

One of the love of my life.

Old 2009-01-05, 10:09pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Can't believe I had missed this!
*hats off* you guys are amazing with silver colors. =)

Giving
a try!
Old 2009-01-28, 7:38pm

The Second Silver Color How To Booklet:
- 65 pages
- over 170 color images with description
- list of silver glass by manufacturers
- index for each silver glass used in the booklet
- step-by-step instruction on how to use both striking as well as reducing silver glass

This is the CD version and contains both the high- and low-resolution pdf of the Second Silver Color How To booklet AND the 30-page First Silver Color How To booklet will be included free of charge. An authorization letter to print one (1) copy of the high-resolution version of each booklet at a service bureau, such as Kinko's, will also be included.

The First Silver Color How To Booklet:
- 30 pages
- over 50 color images with description

I ordered the dvd from etsy .. and although you mention in the ad a booklet as well all I got was the dvd and the letter nothing else.......
it seems everytime I order from south of the border . this is what I get . *taken
Old 2009-01-28, 10:27pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickets Beads View Post
- 65 pages
- step-by-step instruction on how to use both striking as well as reducing silver glass

This is the CD version and contains both the high- and low-resolution pdf of the Second Silver Color How To booklet AND the 30-page First Silver Color How To booklet will be included free of charge. An authorization letter to print one (1) copy of the high-resolution version of each booklet at a service bureau, such as Kinko's, will also be included.

- 30 pages

I ordered the dvd from etsy .. and although you mention in the ad a booklet as well all I got was the dvd and the letter nothing else.......
it seems everytime I order from south of the border . this is what I get . *taken

The booklet is in CD format . . . not a printed booklet. It's clearly stated in the description that you are getting a CD version in both high and low-resolution pdfs. I am not sure why you think you are being "taken?" If you sent back the CD and your Etsy user name, I will be happy to refund your purchase.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-01-28 at 11:34pm. Reason: addition
Old 2009-01-29, 1:56pm

Aww Hayley, I am sorry you are being treated like this! Aparently she/he just has a reading comprehension problem, and feels the need to let everyone know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
The booklet is in CD format . . . not a printed booklet. It's clearly stated in the description that you are getting a CD version in both high and low-resolution pdfs. I am not sure why you think you are being "taken?" If you sent back the CD and your Etsy user name, I will be happy to refund your purchase.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2009-01-29, 2:26pm

Cricket Beads - by "south of the border" do you mean the US? does this mean you are in Canada? Perhaps you'd feel better buying from one of the Canadian distributors, who can absorb some of the import duties, and help you find what you need? Some people really need to touch things, or see them in person, and are never really happy with purchasing things on-line. Maybe you are one of those people? I realize many of the smaller vendors are using ETSY and Ebay etc, but perhaps you will have a better experience working with brick-and-mortar store, who can order things like Hayley's booklet and then let you see what you are getting before you buy it? Just an idea... not trying to stir anything up.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-29, 2:33pm
da General

Jenny - my booklet pdfs are not set up for resale so Cricket Beads wouldn't be able to check it out with a Canadian vendor before purchasing it. I only wish s/he would have contacted me directly instead of posting in Double Helix's thread if there is an issue with his/her purchase! It was by chance that I saw his/her post! I did pm him/her since I have no other name than Cricket Beads!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-29, 4:28pm
Enabler

Quote:
Wow. You obviously know absolutely NOTHING about Hayley or her business practices. I thought her item description was clearly self-explanatory. Did you even try to contact her directly about this before making such an accusatory comment???

Old 2009-01-29, 5:55pm
Catchen' the Sun

Cricket beads is English your first or second language? I kinda get the hint that you are Canadian so maybe you speak French Canadian and are learning English? That would be the only reason I can think of for why you did not understand what is plainly written in the text.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2009-01-29, 7:04pm

That's a really good point Shari. And it would explain the perception that buying a booklet would be buying something on paper.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-01-30 at 9:02am.
Old 2009-01-29, 7:12pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
That's a really good point Jen. And it would explain the perception that buying a booklet would be buying something on paper.
Paula
Really, Paula? Even tho the Title is "2nd Silver Color How To Booklet High Res CD Version" and it states clearly in the description that "This is the CD version and contains both the high- and low-resolution pdf of the Second Silver Color How To booklet AND the 30-page First Silver Color How To booklet will be included free of charge. An authorization letter to print one (1) copy of the high-resolution version of each booklet at a service bureau, such as Kinko's, will also be included." hmmmm . . .why would there be an authorization letter to print the booklet if it were already a printed booklet?. . . but thanks for thinking that it may be confusing. I will change it to e-booklet on my listings!

Again, as I posted before, all Cricket needed to do was to contact me directly, send back the CD and I will be happy to refund her money.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2009-01-29 at 7:30pm. Reason: addition
Old 2009-01-29, 9:53pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
- 65 pages

- 30 pages

Well that's sad. I have never had a problem buying anything from the US. You must just have bad luck

Old 2009-01-30, 12:15am

Quote:
- 65 pages

- 30 pages

I think you have miss quoted in your post. You mention "booklet" and I have just read the description of this CD and it clearly states "e-booklet" which means you have to print it out yourself to actually get the booklet.
Old 2009-01-30, 6:41am

I stand corrected . the mistake was my own .. the angst was my fault in this particular case..... I'm not going to bore you with the details of the other mess ..... it was truly a flim flam . but I do believe Hayley and I do apologise for the misunderstanding
Old 2009-01-30, 8:52am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
I think you have miss quoted in your post. You mention "booklet" and I have just read the description of this CD and it clearly states "e-booklet" which means you have to print it out yourself to actually get the booklet.
Carmen - I just changed it to e-Booklet (see post #45) because both Crickets Beads and Paula thought it was confusing. I stated at the end of the Etsy description why it was changed also.

Quote:
I stand corrected . the mistake was my own .. the angst was my fault in this particular case..... I'm not going to bore you with the details of the other mess ..... it was truly a flim flam . but I do believe Hayley and I do apologise for the misunderstanding
Please do send the CD back and I will be happy to refund your money, including postage. I am sorry that you were taken before and probably thought the worst of this situation when it didn't meet your expectation.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-30, 9:11am

Hayley, I didn't think it was confusing to me. Even though I never read the description I was concurring with Jen & Shari's idea that if English was a second language then maybe someone would not entirely understand the meaning of a "booklet" or get confused with some of the terminology! Now that I did read your description I think it's very, very clear. But I sort of speak English!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-01-30, 9:18am
da General

Thanks for the clarification, Paula. You are right - and since I do have a lot of international customers so changing the term to e-booklet wouldn't hurt!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-30, 4:13pm

I 've had some really funny emails come to me from overseas where the people didn't know English and used the Google translator. (I am sure I must sound just as funny to them!)
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-01-31, 12:55pm

Hi Hayley,
What kind of clear that you use for the base bead before you put Lunar 2 on top? I hope clear Effetre will do because it's the only clear i have.
Double Helix is my wish glass. Hope i'll get some for this Christmas.
Hope you understand me. English is not my tongue. Please forgive me if any mistake occur i don't mean it a bit. Thanks.
Old 2009-01-31, 2:20pm
da General

Chau - for the core (so we don't waste silver glass) any clear will do - Effetre or Vetrofond. When I encase silver glass, I usually use Precision 104 Diamond Clear or Double Helix Aether Clear (not currently available for sales yet).

And your English is perfectly fine!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-01-31, 2:41pm

Thanks. Luna 2 is so beautiful. Look at your bead, like you capture a rainbow in the bead. I speachless. I can watch this bead forever.
Old 2009-02-02, 4:08pm

Thanks for the great tutorial for Luna2.

I ordered the Precision Diamond clear from Roccio and will order Luna2 from DH or Arrowsprings (if they have it). Can't wait to test your techniques.

I am totally hooked on Triton right now. I have seven other DH colors and four Roccio that I feel I have little control or understanding of. Quite an investment to not be getting the most out of. I am debating purchasing the CD ...or do I only need the e-booklet if I don't plan to print? Can I save it to disc as a back-up in case of another Great Crash? Am I missing a lot not to have the first e-booklet as well?

On a different topic... on your Etsy page, you describe a bead set as

"Specification
Quantity: Seven (7) rolo-shape beads approximatly at 12-13mm diameter and 10-13mm thick diameter"

Is the naming of that shape, which is so perfectly descriptive, your own invention or something in common use for that shape?

thanks. Carol

Old 2009-02-02, 4:54pm
da General

Carol - I pm-ed you! Thanks for your interest!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-03, 12:06am

Hayley,
Can any of the DH reducing glass also be striking colors?
I've noticed that some of the Precision glass can do both. I always thought Kronos 2 was a striking glass. I just found this thread. Glad it's here because customers always ask about the glass and I'm still kind of silver challenged.
I've played with Luna and I've gotten it to the brown stage and then encased. I didn't know the more I heated it could change into so many other colors. I have to play with this tonite.
Thanks so much for this Hayley and Jed and Julie!!!

Old 2009-02-03, 7:56am

Hi, Reenie!

I hope you don't mind if I jump in and give a bit of insight, too. I'm sure Hayley will post soon....

In my experience, the DH reducing glasses do not have the striking potential of multi-colored tones like Terranova2 and Luna2 and they don't need to be worked hot to strike either. However, I find that when you reduce and then encase DH's Triton, you can get different shades of metallic (yellow-gold, green, blue) tones. If you don't encase Triton, you can develop gorgeous blue/purple, pink, silver as well as matte metallic effects. So, to me Triton isn't a reducing glass that strikes, but you can get different tones other than a silver sheen.

For Luna2, please do continue to work the glass to see the dark brown tones! This is the stage when you can either encase and gently reheat at the top of the flame to not only round out your encasing (thinking small donut type bead) but to also allow the browns to bloom into purples and blues. If you don't encase the bead, again take the cooled (not glowing but of course still warm so it doesn't crack) bead to the top of the flame and gently bathe it to allow the browns to change to purples/blues/greens/etc.

I do hope this helps! I look forward to reading what Hayley says as well!

Last edited by StephBonniwell; 2009-02-03 at 12:14pm. Reason: sp
Old 2009-02-03, 8:19am

Reenie,

I do want to add that I was thinking of the regular DH glass line-up when I answered initially. Some of the odd lots do have potential to go either way but I was basing my answer on DH's current glass inventory.