Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-06-28, 1:16pm
Custom Imprint tools

Default FREE Leonardo Featherbone and Fishbone Tool Tutorial

I would like to introduce my new tools to all of you in this FREE tutorial. Please take a look.

I use the Featherbone and Fishbone Tools like my petal puller. I pull the feathers off the hot glass rod using the fishbone tool. The tool can be used for just about anything you dream up.

If you want to add the glass to the bead first and then get a featherlook use the featherbone tool. It is the opposite direction. Just think how you want the lines to look and which direction they should go on the finished bead.

Step 1) Heat the tool high in the flame just enough to rub on the inside of the tool slightly. Burn off the wax. Doesn't need done every time...just occassionally.

Step 2) Heat the rod and ball up the end to the size you want the feather to be and tilt downward. Let chill a bit. This is where it takes practice. If you get the glass stuck.DO NOT PULL!!!!! If you do you can pull the fine tool out of shape. Quench the tool with the glass in water and pick out the pieces with a razor tool of stylus and try again. Use scrap glass till you get the hang of it.

Step 3) Quickly pinch the hot glass and release the whole tool from the glass. The feather should still be attached to the glass rod by a stringer.

Step 4) Get your tweezers, heat a bit so as not to shock the feather. Heat and pull the feather from the glass rod.

Step 5) Add to a warmer and then add to your bead or sculpture!

I do recommend the medium size to start with. It is easier to use than the fine size. There are 2 styles and 3 sizes. See my website for the specials I am offering when you buy all 3 fishbone or all 3 featherbone tools. Specails for all 6 tools too plus FREE beeswax with every order.

Karen
www.leonardolampwork.com
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-06-28, 1:56pm
Molten Glass Addict

Wow Karen, I love that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2009-06-28, 5:37pm
Back to 👊 1

New COOLNESS!! Thank you!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-06-28, 5:52pm
Custom Imprint tools

Thanks...glad you like it...I know there will be some really awesome stuff made with it. At some point I will do a contest....start practicing and making some neat stuff

Karen
www.leonardolampwork.com

Old 2009-06-28, 7:13pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

That's a very cool tool. =)

Giving
a try!
Old 2009-07-08, 2:39pm
Glass my new Obsession

wow those are neat!

Old 2009-07-09, 7:41am
Custom Imprint tools

Default Pic of beads made with new tool.

Thanks...been making feathers from them so far, but haven't really delved into new designs. I am getting ready for the Gathering....here are some beads made with them...

Karen
www.leonardolampwork.com
Attached Images