The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-08-10, 6:29pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Question MAPP gas

hi everyone
well so I've been lampworking for almost two weeks. using an HH with mapp gas, and I'm still pretty nervous about the safety issue, so any answers will be much appreciated.

1. how do i dispose of empty canisters?
2. how important is storing canisters upright. I just noticed the bottle i had in the garage had been lying on its side, and also noticed that the metal on part of the top of the canister is slightly rough, as if the roughness resulted from the bottle lying on its side with liquid touching that portion??? so is that bottle damaged in any way, or is it just a coincidence?
3. what is actually happening when the bottom of the canister gets cold and starts to sweat after torching for awhile? is it dangerous to operate in this condition, or just wasteful?

TIA!!!

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2005-08-10, 7:41pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesmi
hi everyone
well so I've been lampworking for almost two weeks. using an HH with mapp gas, and I'm still pretty nervous about the safety issue, so any answers will be much appreciated.

1. how do i dispose of empty canisters?
2. how important is storing canisters upright. I just noticed the bottle i had in the garage had been lying on its side, and also noticed that the metal on part of the top of the canister is slightly rough, as if the roughness resulted from the bottle lying on its side with liquid touching that portion??? so is that bottle damaged in any way, or is it just a coincidence?
3. what is actually happening when the bottom of the canister gets cold and starts to sweat after torching for awhile? is it dangerous to operate in this condition, or just wasteful?

TIA!!!

1. Completely empty conisters are disposable in "normal" trash pickup/disposal (do not burn).

2. Canisters should be stored upright. Normally a canister on it's side is not a problem, but upright is desirable. Roughness on "seating" surface is probably moisture attacking the bare metal and causing a bit of rust. This can be cleaned off. If canister/torch form a good seal it is not a problem. If canister/torch will not seal- Do not attempt to use it.

3. As liquid fuel evaporate to a vapor, it cools the canister. As the canister cools it draws moisture out of the surrounding air and it condenses on out side of container. It happens, it is not a problem. It's same process that happens when you put cold soda can out on counter in warm room. Its also basic physics. Also note that as temperature drops inside canister the evaporation process slows down and vapor pressure will drop as canister gets cooler.

You may also be interested in first message this thread.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-08-10 at 7:44pm.
Old 2005-08-10, 10:40pm
Pobody's nerfect!

thanks dale - appreciate the answers -- this is all so new to me and i tend to obsess about little things

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2005-08-11, 5:54am
Safety ALWAYS

As far as #1 is concerned, check with your local garbage disposal company first. Here in Minnesota, one pound propane/MAPP cylinders are not allowed to be disposed of in regular garbage, they must be taken to a hazardous waste facility for disposal.

Minnesota has several large "consolidators" of garbage that gather waste from many communities, which is then trucked to either landfills or waste burners for incineration.

Additionall, what you may think of as an empty container may still yet contain some fuel gas. The only way to be absolutely sure it is empty is to remove the fill valve - it uses a similar insert as bicycle and car tires - removing this valve insert will allow any remaining fuel to escape - you can also put a plumbers torch head on the tank and let the remaining gas burn off.

But please, check with your garbage company FIRST before you dispose of them.
Old 2005-08-11, 10:37am
Pobody's nerfect!

I'm glad you mentioned the fact that the containers may not be empty, Mike, because I was wondering if that could be happening.

My DH suggested just putting the HH back on the canister and opening up the valve to get rid of what gas might be remaining, once everything cools down - but I wasnt sure about doing that. Is there a difference between doing that, and doing what you suggested with the fill valve or plummers torch head?

Sometimes I think I'm being overly nervous about all this, but i'd rather be that way than the way my DH is - who thinks nothing of filling the lawn mower with gas while the motor is running

Old 2005-08-11, 11:31am
Safety ALWAYS

It's far safer to burn it off - you can certainly use the hothead if you want - but don't just put the torch head on and open the valve - you may get localized pooling which could lead to an "explosive" situation.
Old 2005-08-11, 11:40am
boro color bender

Unless you have a lot left, it's not going to pool in a well ventilated or large area and explode. I supose it's better to be safe than sorry, so just take it outside to vent off the left over gas. If you leave it open for a little while outside, it's safe.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley