Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-02-12, 1:26pm
Your Royal Fritness

Default Oh YEAH, Ventilations system DONE! W/Pictures :)

As some of you know I'm in the middle of a studio/basement redo. We been working our butt's off ok, maybe not off because mine is still there every weekend and spare minute we have. We have the framing done and finished off the ventilation system last night by 11:30pm.

For my vent hood I used a oval feed trough that I bought at TSC that measures ~42" x 20". My fan is 800 cfm. My DH was not to happy cutting the 8" hole in the wall in subzero temps but he did it, what a wonderful Hubby! This desk set up now is just temporary. I'm using my beading desk because it was the right width for my hood. I'm going to have an 8' table and then the rest is going to be cabinets and glass storage. This system works great. It passed the incense test with flying colors.

Behind the hood vent you can see my makeup air coming down the 2x4 joist. once I have my desk top in it will come up through the bottom of the desk under the vent.

I been making beads all day and BOY did it feel good! That was a long 2 weeks with out fire!

Enjoy the day!

Dawn
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2007-02-12 at 9:17pm.
Old 2007-02-12, 1:29pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I LOVE the trough idea!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-02-12, 1:38pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks Squid

I had a HVAC company price out a hoodvent and it would of cost a bunch. I searched high and low on the net for ideas. There is a cool wash tub idea I saw on LE but it was too small for my needs. This one is from American Farmland by Tarter Gate. Here is the add picture. Mine is the one in front. I forgot to say that it is 1foot high.

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2007-02-12, 1:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

It's got kind of a retro look to it too - very cool!

I'll have to keep that in mind when I get ready to set something up!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-02-12, 1:58pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

OK... I just wrote a reply to this thread, hit the post quick reply button and the reply hasn't shown up... so, i'll re-write it and if it ends up being a double post, I apologize. lol

Dawn - I love how you've done this vent. system! I'm getting ready to re-do my garage studio, and am interested in how you did your make-up air. Do you have a fan pulling it in from a different area through a vent and then over to your work area? Right now I have to leave my garage door partially open for my make up air, and would love to be able to do something different. I don't have a window in my garage. We might go ahead and have a window installed, but I wanted to explore other options also.

Carla

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2007-02-12, 2:23pm
Safety ALWAYS

Dawn: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job and much props to your husband!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-02-12, 4:08pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlabeads View Post

Dawn - I love how you've done this vent. system! I'm getting ready to re-do my garage studio, and am interested in how you did your make-up air. Do you have a fan pulling it in from a different area through a vent and then over to your work area? Right now I have to leave my garage door partially open for my make up air, and would love to be able to do something different. I don't have a window in my garage. We might go ahead and have a window installed, but I wanted to explore other options also.

Carla
Thanks Carla,

We ran a 4"x12" return air duct between the 2x4 joist. It goes right to the outside with out a fan. You do not need a fan because your hood vent will pull in what it needs. Once my desk top is in then we'll finish up the duct work to come up and under the desk. Makeup air can come in anywhere in your room. I just like th idea of it coming in under the hoodvent.

TTFN, Dawn

Old 2007-02-12, 4:17pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
Dawn: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job and much props to your husband!
Thanks MIKE! I could not of done it with out all your helpful advice. I spent a lot of time looking up all your post on the subject The fun part was figuring out how to hang the fan from the ceiling.

Have a great week!

Dawn

Old 2007-02-12, 4:36pm
Shine your bright side!

That is so cool and funky...love the look!

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-02-12, 4:42pm
It's about time!

Dawn - what perfect timing! Your stuio is great! I need to put in vent system into my basement too and was looking at every post on the internet for great ideas! Off to the feed/grain store tomorrow! Sonje
Old 2007-02-12, 9:29pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Creations View Post
Dawn - what perfect timing! Your stuio is great! I need to put in vent system into my basement too and was looking at every post on the internet for great ideas! Off to the feed/grain store tomorrow! Sonje
Sonje,

My TSC had them but they were in their storage yard covered with snow. Happy shopping

Dawn

Old 2007-02-12, 10:02pm
Superkitty

Looking good, Dawn! The trough idea is brilliant!
Old 2007-02-13, 5:30am
Eight Miles Wide

Congrats! You finally get to torch! Now make lots of beads so I can lick them at Fire & Ice!

Old 2007-02-13, 6:13am

Wow, you must be very happy. So cool and what a clever idea(wish we would have thought of that!)

Anne

Old 2007-02-13, 10:17am

Is it magnetic? That looks like it would be really cool to stick frit containers and stuff on.

Old 2007-02-13, 10:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

SUPER....... Turned out pretty good!..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-13, 11:46am
Mary Lockwood

That is awesome, Dawn!! I bet you are so happy. What a cool idea with the trough. I love to see innovative uses for common objects. Way to solve a problem!!

Have fun in there!
~~Mary

Old 2007-02-13, 2:17pm
Covered in glitter

Love the trough! I think you are definately going to be the vent trend setter! LOL!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-02-13, 2:33pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-eared pig View Post
Congrats! You finally get to torch! Now make lots of beads so I can lick them at Fire & Ice!
Hehe, I think there is going to be a whole lot of bead licking happening there

Your beads went out before the blizzard hit

TTFN, Dawn

Old 2007-02-13, 2:39pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks All,

When the studio is all done I want to add one of those beaded fringe tapes that they use in sewing all the way around the top to match my studio. I can't sew at all but I'm sure am good with Hot Glue and Duct Tape

"Is it magnetic? That looks like it would be really cool to stick frit containers and stuff on." Yep, Magnets work great

Dawn

Old 2007-02-13, 3:32pm
Ghost Town Glass

OMG, that is so cool! We are trying to figure out our ventilation, and will be putting in 3 stations. I think this could work in a slightly modified way for us. Thank you so much for posting!

Where did you get the fan? I need to start sourcing this stuff since we need an electrician to come in and put in a sub panel and wiring. Which means I need to read all the ventilation posts, for the 5th time!

Old 2007-02-13, 3:50pm

Dawn,
Your set up is great. I am so jealous, first of that your set up is finished, and second that you have a handy husband. This is a brilliant idea. I am still working on mine, and I am beginning to think this going to take a while, but you have inspired me. Thanks for posting.

Joyce

Old 2007-02-13, 4:19pm
Your Royal Fritness

"Where did you get the fan? I need to start sourcing this stuff since we need an electrician to come in and put in a sub panel and wiring. Which means I need to read all the ventilation posts, for the 5th time!"

Hi Janice,

I bought it at http://www.marylandhydroponics.com/acshpoblexfa.html I like it because it has the intake flange all ready and I could purchase the out take flange. We traced the fan on to a piece of 3/4 board and used a 6 inch wood bit, I can't think of the name of it but it's big. We also used it to cut out a perfect hole in the vent. We used 6" pipe from the vent to the fan and then 6" to 8" connector piece to run 8" pipe out of the house. We had to go to a plumming place to find a 8" vent cover to go out side the house.

TTFN, Dawn

Grainger sells the fans too.
Attached Images

Old 2007-02-14, 8:19am
birdergirl ~o~

Dawn,
I bought the same fan but havent installed it yet ( sadly!) I was wondering how noisey it is?? - as I'm already on a HH.
Also on Mike H's suggestion I sent back the speed regulator ( he suggested "throwing it out" !) LOL!
Thanks for the "after pics! Very helpful
Sally

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-02-14, 9:13pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Dawn,
I bought the same fan but havent installed it yet ( sadly!) I was wondering how noisey it is?? - as I'm already on a HH.
Also on Mike H's suggestion I sent back the speed regulator ( he suggested "throwing it out" !) LOL!
Thanks for the "after pics! Very helpful
Sally
Hi Sally,

It is not that noisey. I would say the HH is louder. Plus, once we put the ceiling tiles up that should help with the sound too.

Dawn

Old 2007-02-18, 10:43am
Your Royal Fritness

Hey Mod's can you move this to the Saftey Room

Thanks!

Dawn

Old 2007-02-18, 2:42pm
Flossy-Flossy

Dawn....Thanks for posting this. I'm still working on my ventilation problem and this gave me some ideas.

Old 2007-10-25, 1:51pm
Your Royal Fritness

Well as some of you know we have been a stand still finishing our downstairs due to my MIL having lung cancer. She is doing good right now and has just started her 4th round of chemo.. This is not your normal nag of a MIL she is an AWESOME lady. The doctors said she had 3 to 6 months to live and that was 8 months ago

Mean while 8 months later..... My DH and I just ran out of steam with everything going on so we hired a handi man/plumber and electrictian. The plumber finished up plumbing the bathroom and the sink for the new counter and the electrictian is coming over on Saturday!!!! YAHOO, We could be drywalling in 2 weeks.

I just wanted to share

Dawn

Old 2007-10-25, 8:49pm
BHB's- big honkin' beads!

The feed trough idea is great!! Thanks for posting!!

Cheers, Larry

Website is back up!!! Yipee!!!
Old 2007-11-03, 8:24pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks Larry

The electrician finished today so now it is time for drywall! I have 10 outlets in my studio alone and he put my kiln and concentrators on a seperate circit. We also ordered all the cabnets and counter tops today. They should be ready in 4 to 5 weeks My handyman said he would start drywalling in the bathroom and work his way around the family room. Once he is there I have to take down the studio for about 3 weeks so he can finish it up. I think this will actually be done by the middle of December.

Have a great weekend!