LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-28, 1:22am

Default New Violet and its elusive silver outline!

Yay Been playing with New Violet, had an idea of doing some scroll work in new violet over a black base bead, I am thinking the silver outline would add a cool accent to the finished beads..........

But no matter what I do I can't seem to get that blasted silver outline around my new violet, what am I doing wrong? I tried reducing, I tried oxidizing flames, anyone got some tips for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-28, 5:33am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebabeuk View Post
Yay Been playing with New Violet, had an idea of doing some scroll work in new violet over a black base bead, I am thinking the silver outline would add a cool accent to the finished beads..........

But no matter what I do I can't seem to get that blasted silver outline around my new violet, what am I doing wrong? I tried reducing, I tried oxidizing flames, anyone got some tips for me!
If it's the lighter of the "new" violets (273) I couldn't make it work either. The darker violet (274) did the silver outline thing for me.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-12-28, 11:09am
Storm Queen

Ummmm....what are you guys talking about?

Old 2007-12-28, 11:18am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Ummmm....what are you guys talking about?
This:

http://www.gemfox.com/corinabeads/ch...bmissionID=173

The silver outline appears on just about everything I tried the darker violet on.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-12-28, 11:30am

Pretty, I wonder why it does that??
Old 2007-12-30, 2:06pm

hmmmmm didn't realise there was a dark and a light version, mine was just sold as New Violet! how would I know if it was the dark or light version?

Old 2007-12-30, 2:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebabeuk View Post
hmmmmm didn't realise there was a dark and a light version, mine was just sold as New Violet! how would I know if it was the dark or light version?
It's not. Your new violet is #273. You need #274 which is Dark Violet. #272 is Violet or Lt. Violet.

Confused yet?

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-12-30, 5:18pm

I'm bummed. Ran right down to the basement and mine is the 273.
Old 2007-12-30, 6:03pm

Oh yeah, I've struggled with this myself and made it a point to figure it out! There are 3 shades of violet.

P-272 Violet
P-273 New Violet
P-274 Dark Violet

The New Violet is the only one of the 3 that won't outline. From my experience, it's identical or nearly so to opaque ink blue. If you want a light violet that outlines, P-272 Violet will work for you.

Candy

Old 2007-12-30, 6:30pm

It is identical to opaque ink blue. You definitely don't need to have both. What a jip!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-12-30, 11:47pm

Smile

Great, mine is P-272 Violet, so what do I need to do to get it to make the silver outline? Also what colour base bead will look best with it. Thanks.
Old 2008-01-01, 1:28pm
Digital refugee

I have been lurking so long that it's become an embarassment, but I can't resist this thread. So this is a good way to fulfill my new year's resolution to finally get over my shyness and start posting.

I love new violet 273. What works for me to get the colours to separate is: use a thick stringer (otherwise there is not enough space for the colours to separate), do your stringer work, melt it in, let the bead cool somewhat, then put the bead in an oxidizing flame. 273 (new violet), 274 (dark violet) and 275 (dark silver plum) all like a oxy-rich flame.

It can take a while for the colours to separate. Try taking the bead out of the flame to cool it off a bit. What also may work is to hold the bead just underneath/below an oxy-rich flame, concentrating the heat on the stringer work. You'll know when it separates because you can see the lines form in the flame.

This bead uses 273 on an encased bead. Also try it over ivory.

jennie

Old 2008-01-01, 3:42pm
passionate about pets

I just bought some violet from lbsupplies...and i got the 272 violet

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-01-02, 8:08pm
Spare Time Designs

Hmmm..and my 272 says Lavender Blue. Name changes?

Old 2008-01-02, 9:41pm
Crispy Critter

Thanks for your post, Jennie! And congrats on de-lurking!

Old 2008-01-03, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneli View Post
I believe lavender blue is another name for opaque ink blue. New Violet and lavender blue/opaque ink blue are identical in every way and it's very possible your rods were mislabeled. They should really discontinue one of them and save us the grief! Violet or Light Violet (272) is reddish (both in rod form and in beads) and will outline when used as stringer. If your 272 rods don't do that, they're probably incorrectly labeled. Bummer, if that's the case. I don't care for lavender blue/opaque ink blue and if I ordered violet and got the other stuff, I'd be pissed!

Candy

Last edited by beadgoodies; 2008-01-03 at 12:13am.
Old 2008-01-03, 5:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneli View Post
247 is Opaque Ink Blue (Lavender-Blue)

273 is New Violet

They're basically identical.

272 is Violet.

I'd say you're rods are mis-labeled. I'll also tell you that what you did get, if it is 247, is more expensive than 272. So, it's up to you if you want to be pissed or not. I think I would be. Just b/c they were mis-labeled, not because I don't like the color. 247 is one of my favorites.

Old 2008-01-04, 3:47am
Digital refugee

Ahh, I didn't know that 247 even existed, let alone that it is similar to 273. Out of curiousity, does 247 do the outline/separation thing too? Does anyone have a photo?

And chrissdd, thanks for your encouraging words. Look! I did it again, and it didn't hurt!

blog:

web:
Old 2008-01-04, 4:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenyip View Post
Ahh, I didn't know that 247 even existed, let alone that it is similar to 273. Out of curiousity, does 247 do the outline/separation thing too? Does anyone have a photo?

And chrissdd, thanks for your encouraging words. Look! I did it again, and it didn't hurt!
No, 247 doesn't outline. It's reactive with Intense Black though, which makes it a good purple for organics (as do the violets). Here are a few beads I've made with it.

Opaque Ink Blue:

Candy

Old 2008-01-05, 7:23am
Digital refugee

Thanks for the info and pics, Candy. I tried a few experiments yesterday. I can't get my "ordinary" violet (272) to outline. I wonder if it's batch-related? I also discovered that a hot neutral flame will also work to make the new violet (273) that I have do its outline-thing. But maybe that's batch-related too?

blog:

web:
Old 2008-01-05, 8:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenyip View Post
Thanks for the info and pics, Candy. I tried a few experiments yesterday. I can't get my "ordinary" violet (272) to outline. I wonder if it's batch-related? I also discovered that a hot neutral flame will also work to make the new violet (273) that I have do its outline-thing. But maybe that's batch-related too?
It very well could be batch related. I swear that new violet won’t outline, but others disagree. Some who have worked with glass for years never noticed that violet outlined at all, so maybe theirs never did. Who knows! I’m glad some of it does it at least some of the time because it’s a really neat effect!

Candy

Old 2008-01-05, 9:00am

Hi, I have read this entire thread and cannot find the answer, so ....who makes it? Effetre?
Thank you, Patti

Old 2008-01-05, 6:51pm

They are effetre colors
Old 2008-01-07, 12:29pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I made an exciting discovery last night while at the torch. The CIM Thai Orchid purple color gets the silver outline! I'm excited about it because I don't have any of the Moretti dark violet.
Old 2008-01-07, 12:39pm

I was going to try that after reading this thread as I have Thai but not the violet. Try that today.

Kym
Old 2008-01-07, 1:00pm

I'm wondering if this is a qualify of many of the purples then, and dark silver plum is at one end of the spectrum and these are in the middle?

Next time I get torch time, I'll have to check the bullseye purples. Are these opaques or transparents?
Old 2008-01-07, 4:48pm

its the opaques that get the outline, I've got some of the Thai CIM so I'll try that in the morning!

Old 2008-01-07, 7:28pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Here's a quick - and bad - picture of one of the beads that shows the silver outline.