LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-20, 9:52pm

Default Frit -base bead color suggestions, other than white?

I just ordered a bunch of cool frit from Glass Diversions (cool site! great service too)

I'm totally new to frit, only tried it a bit since I got my order. I'm looking for recommendations for branching out with colors for the base bead, as I keep finding myself going for the white, thinking the white shows the frit best. (I work with 96 mostly) I have a couple bead artist books too - strangely no pics of frit beads!!! (GASP!)

I have Rose Bouquet, Northern Lights, Cinnamon, Autumn Leaves, Silvered blue, and Iris Gold - all glass diversions packs.

I'd love to hear feedback on what people have tried or to see pics of frit covered beads using different base colors, if anybody feels like sharing. Thanks much!
Old 2011-11-20, 11:20pm

Well I don't know if this will be useful to you, since I only use 104 glass (although the frits are 96... many frit blends seem to be 96 and you can use them with 104 if you are careful not to use too much frit). Anyway I have documented a lot of my frit experiments on my website - http://www.twoglassyladies.ca/?page_id=165 is the link.

I think some of my favorite bases (from the 104 palette) for frit are lt turquoise, opal yellow, and copper green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-20, 11:26pm
I'm meeeeelting

Some of the silver based frits look great on black. Also, experiment with ivory. You'll get a reaction if your frit has copper colors (blues, greens) that can look good if you don't overdo it.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-11-20, 11:34pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyhoust View Post
Well I don't know if this will be useful to you, since I only use 104 glass (although the frits are 96... many frit blends seem to be 96 and you can use them with 104 if you are careful not to use too much frit). Anyway I have documented a lot of my frit experiments on my website - http://www.twoglassyladies.ca/?page_id=165 is the link.

I think some of my favorite bases (from the 104 palette) for frit are lt turquoise, opal yellow, and copper green.
Your frit experiments are really nice and a good reference. I was hoping you had pictures of the actual frits as I bought two boxes of unmarked frits from Val and don't know what the names are! I guess I need to do more research!
Old 2011-11-20, 11:54pm

Thanks Starr, I love Val Cox's frit blends sooo much! She has pics of a lot of her blends on her website, maybe you could figure it out that way?

Old 2011-11-21, 7:44am
Glass-aholic

Any color basically. They will all give you a different bead. Very different. The sky is the limit! Just keep in mind the reactions between colors that can occurr. have fun experimenting!

You can make test pieces by heating any rod tip and dipping it into a grit blend. Melt it in and do whatever you want (whatever you may do to a bead) and pinch off the tip. Put it between some fiber blanket (or other) to cool a bit faster than the kiln to check your results. You can catalog the results or not at that point its up to you

I do this often and usually just drop the tiny petal like piece on some graphite and if it breaks I don't care. If it looks good I'll make beads like it do I don't really need it afterwards.

Iris gold and silvered blue are reduction colors so have fun with them! Be aware that they can fume the glass around them.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-11-21 at 7:47am.
Old 2011-11-21, 10:55am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I rarely use white as a base. I take the frit & put it up against different bases & see what matches. I do a little experimental paddle on the end of the rod. Most of the time I use a pastel color that's similar to the lightest color in the frit. I hope that makes sense.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-11-21, 11:29am
Lampworkaholic!

Opal Yellow, Silver Pink, Uranium Pastel, Pink Pastel, all are good choices. Try the Silver Blue on Amber.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-21, 11:44am

Lauscha Sea mist Milky way ,Effetre blue sky opalino,
and Moretti Green Apple Pale Rod are all cool bases.

I also have a 104 color
(brand and name unknown - now i know why you should mark your rods /wink )
that I bought about 5 years ago that is the same color and translucency as real jade and it makes an awesome base color for frits. Creates a true gemstone appearance.

I believe the jade green I was thinking of is called Effetre Nile Green Opalino - here's a pic

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-11-21 at 2:09pm.
Old 2011-11-21, 4:59pm

CIM dirty martini is great with frit - any frit including DH frits

Old 2011-12-01, 6:31am

THANK YOU EVERYBODY! Now I'm definitely getting the more creative thoughts rolling - and really enjoyed reading all your feedback!
Old 2011-12-01, 6:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Any color basically. They will all give you a different bead. Very different. The sky is the limit! Just keep in mind the reactions between colors that can occurr. have fun experimenting!

You can make test pieces by heating any rod tip and dipping it into a grit blend. Melt it in and do whatever you want (whatever you may do to a bead) and pinch off the tip. Put it between some fiber blanket (or other) to cool a bit faster than the kiln to check your results. You can catalog the results or not at that point its up to you

I do this often and usually just drop the tiny petal like piece on some graphite and if it breaks I don't care. If it looks good I'll make beads like it do I don't really need it afterwards.

Iris gold and silvered blue are reduction colors so have fun with them! Be aware that they can fume the glass around them.

THANK YOU JACI - Great suggestions and great info on the reduction part - I'll have to post some pics later of my experiments. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 2011-12-01, 6:41am

If you find you are enjoying frit. I highly recommend purchasing Val Cox's Frit Secrets book. There is TONS of fabulous info in there and great jumping off points.

The Iris Gold can be used to make Faux Boro beads as well. Have lots of fun experimenting. I love frit!!

Old 2011-12-01, 10:05am

Wait, did I read that right... I have been fusing with system96 for 8 years and have dozens of pounds of 96 frit. I can use it on my 104 beads?!?!?! The COE is pretty far off. Is this really true? It goes against all of my training.

I'd love to hear about your experiences mixing these two COEs.

Thanks!

Cheryl
Old 2011-12-01, 10:12am
Lampworkaholic!

Yes, you can use furnace glass frit on the surface of 104 base beads, some say up to 5% of the bead mass, in my experience that is conservative. You can even encase small amounts of some colors (avoid oranges). The metal content in 96 gives it some "elasticity." I find 96 COE furnace cane to be the most viscous of all lampwork cane (excluding Uroboros/System 96).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-12-01, 10:22am

Thanks for the fast answer. I am very new to beadmaking, I set up my torch a week ago, to be exact, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question. Is "furnace glass" different from standard fusible glass? The 96 coe glass I have is standard fusible glass produced by Uroboros, not the cool stuff labeled Furnace glass made by Val Cox.

Thanks again.
Old 2011-12-01, 10:32am
MacGalver

Hi Cheryl~

Furnace glass is glass that's designed for traditional glassblowing. The colors are super saturated because the mass of glass is going to be stretched out by blowing. When you use the furnace glass frit on lampworking glass, you get much stronger, more vibrant colors than you would normally find in lampworking or even fusing glass. Many commercial frits for lampworking are made by blending different colors of furnace glass to get a unique palette. If you want to see examples of beads made with furnace glass frit, click my signature link and go to the pages for the different color blends. Each blend shows at least one bead made with that blend, and all my colors are furnace glass.

Hope that helps!

Jo

p.s. I think you can still use some of your 96 coe fusible glass for frit on 104, but do some compatibility tests first. The 96 fusible will not be as adaptable as the 96 furnace glass, due to lower metals content.

Old 2011-12-01, 10:51am

That makes total sense.

Thanks!
Old 2011-12-01, 11:59am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylka View Post
Wait, did I read that right... I have been fusing with system96 for 8 years and have dozens of pounds of 96 frit. I can use it on my 104 beads?!?!?! The COE is pretty far off. Is this really true? It goes against all of my training.

I'd love to hear about your experiences mixing these two COEs.

Thanks!

Cheryl
I use only size #0, #00, or powder frit on my 104 COE beads, and I never encase. After thousands of beads made I have never had a report back from a customer about broken beads. Plus I have some that I made as far back as 2003 and they are still intact. I have made some with the #1 frit and they are okay, but I don't like to take chances so I use Uroboros glass as a base for that size frit.
Old 2011-12-01, 9:29pm
Addicted to Frit!!!

Hi Cheryl,

Bases are a funny thing...I usually start by seeing if the frit blend is transparent, opaque or a combo of both. If it's all, I would consider using a transparent background like a silver glass or even just plain old clear. I also like to use spots of opaque in my background because this is where some of the transparent frit blends will show up more as compared to a transparent background.

So, for example you might want to make a base bead of an opaque and a transparent base bead, then roll in the frit blend, maybe spot encase places where the frit is and then add stringers or other detail work.

You can also see alot of examples in my 'artist gallery' where my customers have shared their gorgeous frit beads. This might help give you some other ideas.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Robin

Premium Frit Blends
Check us out on

Last edited by rkoza; 2011-12-01 at 9:31pm.
Old 2011-12-02, 1:41am
Unmedicated since '62

frit doesn't just have to be spots on colour, you can use it to create intersting effects and mix it with foils and enamels - this bead has raku frit, copper foil, white enamel and intense black frit - all to create fake turquoise
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2011-12-02 at 1:45am.
Old 2011-12-02, 1:44am
Unmedicated since '62

or combine it in layers with stringer and clear to give depth
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-04-15, 9:04pm

Great suggestions everyone! Thank you all so much.
Old 2013-04-16, 5:51am
Redheaded Thread Killer

Donna at Blackberrybeads did a frit testing site a long time ago. I was able to find the link, she's kept it as an archive. It's got a ton of various frit tests on multiple colors for each frit:

http://www.blackberrybeads.com/archive/Frits.htm

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-04-16, 10:27pm
Ad astra per aspera

The first colors I tend to grab are light gray, pale transparent blue, pale transparent yellow, and copper green.