No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-22, 10:29am
randomly active member

Default Uranium Yellow Pastel

What do you do with it? Is there anything special about it?

I have one rod of it that came in the sampler pack I bought from Arrow Springs 6 years ago when I first started lampworking. It is still sitting in the pile of untouched colors that I have yet to experiment with.

DH finally cut some new pvc pipe for me so I have been on a mad glass organizing spree and going through every rod of glass I have wondering if I need to order more and allocate a space for it, or if I just need to use it up and not bother again.

I have been compiling my shopping cart on Frantz and happened to look up this color. It is not exactly cheap at $25/lb so I am wondering if I am missing out on something here. Does it do something wonderful? Is it some sort of breathtakingly beautiful glass once you start working it? Because quite honestly, the rod is pretty and all, but it just looks like an expensive green-tinted off-white.

I would love to see what you use this glass for. Show me. Tell me. Share please.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.:.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-22, 10:35am
one day at a time

It's pretty much WYSIWYG, I'll look and see what I can find in my old pictures. I used it on white with Val's frit Cherry Blossoms in size #0. That was nice. I only use size #0 on 104, and never had a problem.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:42am
one day at a time

Oops, I'm sorry, it wasn't Cherry Blossoms. It was on a base of Effetre lt sky blue, and the frit was Monet from Glass Diversions. Her Monet is the fine grain size #0.

Old 2012-03-22, 11:03am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Well, Uranium Yellow is not a color that I am using a lot but I do like it as a base for encasing since I found it more ''stable'' than my white!

I used it also with frit but I do not find any picture of it. It's not really a reactive color so not much ''magic'' with this color, unfortunatly.

In this pair, I used the UY as the base under encasing and the dots.

Old 2012-03-22, 12:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

I LOVE Uranium Yellow Pastel. It is such a pretty shade of soft green and it doesn't react with frit the way many other yellows do.

It can be shocky as it's a hand pulled color.

Next to Opal Yellow and Silver Pink it is my favorite "basic" color.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-22, 1:02pm
Entropy increasing....

I don't think I have used it in....5 years, maybe.

I like the transparent.

I have a single tube of the real Uranium yellow pastel. It glows something crazy under black light.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:23pm
Ad astra per aspera

I like it as a "not white but very light" base color for frits. It plays well with darker colors without being reactive. I LOVE it with turquoise and with new violet for layered dots.

Old 2012-03-22, 11:28pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I like the opaque for a base with flowers and /or frit, yummy!

Old 2012-03-23, 7:58am
randomly active member

Thanks so much for your responses everyone!

Lisi and Liz your beads are very lovely. They both look like Easter/Spring beads - soft and pretty. I'll do some playing around with it today and see if it justifies making itself into my shopping cart.

Old 2012-03-23, 8:04am

I like it because it doesn't react to itself much like Vetro light ivory. It's good for faces or eyes.

Old 2012-03-23, 10:47am
one day at a time

I think it's yummy because it looks to me like Key Lime pie filling, the natural color without the green food coloring added.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:35am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

It's gorgeous as a base for chintz type rose decorations. Melt it all in and it is just gorgeous. Makes all the colors pop! It's one of my favorite spring bead bases.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-03-23, 1:37pm
sunscreen me baby

I like it under leaky pen. It makes a gorgeous teal green blue flower petal.
Attached Images

~

Old 2012-03-23, 1:43pm
Rose colored glasses…√

It reminds me of luna moths. I like it encased with hand pulled pale Emerald as a base for florals.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2012-03-23, 6:18pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I was so disappointed when I got mine! I collect "vaseline glass" - have blacklit cabinets all over the house with gorgeous reactive glass, and my uranium yellow rods do NOTHING.

sigh.

I should take a picture of one of the cabinets so those of you how aren't familiar with real uranium glass and see what it does.

L-111

Old 2012-03-24, 7:54am
Peerless Thread Killer

I love it as well. It's a perfect color for a moon on a black sky.

Old 2012-03-25, 7:40pm
randomly active member

These are all excellent suggestions. Thanks for sharing everyone!

Suzy you are right. That is gorgeous! Will have to try it.

Old 2012-03-27, 9:32am

I have some but it looks exactly like my dark ivory (got most of my glass unmarked in a mixed lot). One rod has a label. Does it strike or reduce to turn yellow?

Thanks!
Cheryl