Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-28, 11:34am
Renee

Default Just wondering about charatures

Hi all! I was wondering about the beads that people are making that look like recognizable cartoon or book charactures. Is it legal to make and sell them? I know you can't paint them on wood without a license from them. I just don't want to get in trouble. Your thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-08-28, 11:48am

I'll bet Sharon Peters could be a great help in answering this question.

Jo Kaczmarski
Old 2012-08-28, 12:11pm

Copyright law prohibits reproduction of a copyrighted item in any media. Unless you have permission, of course.

20 years ago, I heard it cost about $10 grand to sue OR defend a copyright case, probably much more now. If you lose, expect to turn over all money gained from the unlawful use, plus possible punitive damages, plus lawyer fees.

I find it easier to just make up my own designs.
Old 2012-08-28, 6:56pm
Renee

I thoughouly agree. I do my own designs, but I saw some bead charactures on here that I was wondering about. I'm not out to copy anyone- I was just wondering because I'm seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Copyright law prohibits reproduction of a copyrighted item in any media. Unless you have permission, of course.

20 years ago, I heard it cost about $10 grand to sue OR defend a copyright case, probably much more now. If you lose, expect to turn over all money gained from the unlawful use, plus possible punitive damages, plus lawyer fees.

I find it easier to just make up my own designs.

Old 2012-08-28, 7:03pm

Don't do Disney. They have spy's LOL! I don't think Sharon does anything that has been done before if I'm not mistaken.

Old 2012-08-28, 7:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

its not illegal to make them but it is illegal to sell them

i've seen beads that look very very much like mickey mouse but hey, black beads can have two black dots as long as you dont call the bead mickey mouse

hello kitty seems to be the favorite at the moment

smacks of lack of imagination to me

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-28, 8:12pm

I've made cartoon characters and movie characters for BOC because I thought the kids would like them. I wouldn't sell any of them.

Old 2012-08-28, 8:27pm
Renee

I was actually wondering about the grinch to be honest. I wanted to make Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews. It's ok as long as I don't sell them?

Old 2012-08-28, 8:37pm

If it's just a gift for nieces and nephews, I'd totally go ahead and do it...

Old 2012-08-28, 8:54pm

From what I understand, you may make an exact copy of anything as long as it is for your own personal use, but it must never be sold or used as any form of advertisement.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-08-29, 2:50am

I heard of a case where an artist donated time and materials to do a mural based on Disney characters in a children's hospital. Nothing sold, nobody making money off it, but the courts still ruled it copyright infringement and the mural had to be painted over. The law says "don't MAKE copies," not "don't sell copies."

I know Disney gets a bad rap, but look at it from their viewpoint;
1) they spend huge bucks marketing their characters, why should anybody else get the rewards? and,
2) if they don't take action on EVERY case they discover, the intellectual properties are in danger of losing all copyright protection.
That's what happened to the Kleenex brand name; it has become a generic term for tissue. Same thing with "Hershey bar", once protected, now free game.

I researched copyright several years ago, and wound up having an article published on it. I think the most common misconception is "If you change 3 things (or 30%, or some other quantity), it becomes your design." Nope, if it is recognizable as a version of the original, you need permission.

Last edited by steiconi; 2012-08-29 at 2:54am.
Old 2012-08-29, 5:10am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Don't do Disney. They have spy's LOL! I don't think Sharon does anything that has been done before if I'm not mistaken.
Hmmmm, there is a lady who does Mickey and Minnie Mouse ears on her beads....in black, it's totally obvious that nothing else looks like MM and MM. Wonder how she gets by?
Old 2012-08-29, 5:29am
Renee

I know things get iffy at times. There was a promoter at a show promoter who banned anything college related in her show - understandable. That's a no no. BUT then she tried to ban anything in people's booths who had school colors! She didn't have the right to tell an artist next to me that they couldn't use black and red,or orange and blue etc. LOL!

Old 2012-08-29, 7:44am

I made Grinches one year for Christmas gifts and I think for some Christmas bead exchange. It's just a gift, go for it. Lots of fun to make.

Old 2012-08-29, 11:58am
Artistically Absorbed

Actually this is a good question. I have been making anime inspired eye beads, not of any particular character, but I did one over pixie dust that had a golden eye, and kinda reminded me of twilight vampires, so I called it Bella Lives. I don't want to get into any type of copyright infringent over it, should I take my auction down? Or maybe just change the name? It doesn't look like her exactly, a loose translation at best. What do you guys think?
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Last edited by EchoTantuli; 2012-08-29 at 12:22pm. Reason: added
Old 2012-08-29, 1:07pm
color bomb

Is she the only vampire named Bella that ever lived. Highly unlikely (if vampires were real, of course). I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 2012-08-29, 1:29pm
Artistically Absorbed

I changed the name on the auction, just in case. I don't want any trouble.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64