The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-07-19, 8:45am
Spare Time Designs

Default Dizzy as a Loon

Hi Everyone:

Well, for awhile now I have been getting very lightheaded and dizzy at the torch. It happens when I get into about half an hour of beading. I work inside a spare room in my house, have ventilation going up through the attic and outside (500 cfm fan) and have 1 window behind me and to the left a bit. The room is very small...like a tiny bedroom. I do work with alot of silver and silver glass. I just can't figure out if it's lack of oxygen in the room or fumes. I don't really get headaches or nausea..just dizzy and sometimes a bit hoarse. Any help is appreciated, since I love what I do and what to do it in the safest way possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-19, 10:52am

It sounds like fumes to me. Have you done a smoke test to make sure your ventilation is adequate? If it's not quite doing the job, you could try adding baffles to the back and sides of the hood.
Old 2008-07-19, 11:21am
Spare Time Designs

Hi Judi:

I haven't tried a smoke test since my husband first set me up in the room. I do have sides and a back to my hood...he made the hood for me. It's strange because after about an hour..the dizziness goes away and then I'm fine. I'll try the smoke test to be sure...it's got to be something. Thanks for your input...I appreciate it.

Old 2008-07-22, 12:31pm

Some people can develop a bit of vertigo if they do very close work for a while. I'd do the smoke test on the hood, though to be sure that it's not a ventilation problem.

Robert
Old 2008-07-22, 12:50pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

I would check out the ventilation first, but this is another thought.

I know that this is going to sound kind of crazy, but make sure that you are not holding your breath when you are working. I do that and sometimes can make myself dizzy. If you are doing that (holding your breath) when you are first working, but then are becoming more relaxed (and your breathing goes back to normal) as your session goes on that could explain the timing of your dizziness.

Like I said - check out your ventilation first before trying to explain it away...

--
--
--

Old 2008-07-22, 3:56pm
I practice alchemy!

I have to consciously remember to breathe, especially if I'm doing dots!

Celeste
Old 2008-07-23, 9:00am
Spare Time Designs

Well, I did the incense test and it appears the smoke is all going up and out...though in some areas it lingered a bit before being sucked out. Today I am trying to sit further back from the torch. I've been working about 1/2 hour so far and it seems ok. I try to take breaks every 1/2 hour or 45 minutes.

Hmmm...I will have to see if I'm holding my breathe or not..interesting! I am usually singing along to the radio...but when I'm not I could be holding my breathe..who knows. I'm going back to the torch now and I'll check it out Thanks everyone..for your input. I'll let you know.

Old 2008-07-23, 6:03pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
...I know that this is going to sound kind of crazy, but make sure that you are not holding your breath when you are working...
Rosemarie!!!

I almost spit tea all over my comp when I read this!!! I thought I was the only one!!! I swear, I have to tell myself routinely "Breathe, breathe" while torching...and the exhalation when a bead is finished and popped into the kiln - it's nearly euphoric for me (if you know what I mean!)

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-23, 8:45pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteK View Post
I have to consciously remember to breathe, especially if I'm doing dots!

Celeste
I little "trick" that helps considerably in maintaining a steady hand is exhaling very slowly. Whenever you need to do something that requires a specially stready hand or a delicate touch, first take a deep breath then exhale as slowly as you can while you're working.

Try it. You'll be surprised what a difference it makes.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-07-23, 8:51pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneli View Post
Hi Everyone:

Well, for awhile now I have been getting very lightheaded and dizzy at the torch. It happens when I get into about half an hour of beading. I work inside a spare room in my house, have ventilation going up through the attic and outside (500 cfm fan) and have 1 window behind me and to the left a bit. The room is very small...like a tiny bedroom. I do work with alot of silver and silver glass. I just can't figure out if it's lack of oxygen in the room or fumes. I don't really get headaches or nausea..just dizzy and sometimes a bit hoarse. Any help is appreciated, since I love what I do and what to do it in the safest way possible.

if yr ventilation is working then might be the silver foils/silver glass? my ventilation is just ok but works when i'm torching regular glass. when i'm using metals or powders tho, i find the fumes irritating so wear a P100 respirator as well.

also, you may want to check that yr fresh/replacement air source is adequate?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-07-24, 4:47am

It's probably the fumes from the silver in the glass and applied silver. I felt quite ill (like pre flu or post pneumonia plus dizzy) after a class using alot of silver - the classroom ventilation was adequate, but had to be shut down so we could hear the demonstrations. Overloaded the system... I wasn't the only one in class either. Also happened at home in the next week - I think it builds up in your body. I haven't used silver leaf or foil for a couple of months now, and I do feel much better. Kind of hesitant to start using silver again without a respirator.

Sals
Old 2008-07-24, 8:03pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I thought I was the only one.. holding their breath especially doing close up work. I was having problems with the same thing and finally realized I wasn't breathing.. LOL