LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-01-20, 6:41am

Default Good Oranges/reds/yellows for dots? (104)

So I'm playing around with beads that have colored dots over black dots. Colors like periwinkle and pea green work great. But I'm having trouble with reds, yellows, and oranges - either they striate, or darken, or are too thin to cover the black. And I want BRIGHT. What do you all use? I'm happy to venture into Reichenbach or Lausha if there are some good ones there.

Thanks, all!
Old 2017-01-20, 7:24am
just another glass addict

My favorite results for that look come from putting down a white dot first then using transparent color. They are easier to see on black when they are still hot too.

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-01-20, 7:28am

That is a nice look, but not quite what I'm going for with this. I'm wanting very opaque.
Old 2017-01-20, 11:27am
Slogan Challenged...

I find the CIM reds are generally better over black than the effetre. I haven't tried Marachino yet but I have heard only good things. I tend to like caboose myself but I am tending towards corals right now, probably not what you want, but it would be a nice color too.

Orange, I tend to use the pumpkins. Light zucca is great over black.
Yellow, I am using goldenrod right now, and it is one of the better yellows over black.

You might want to get a few rods and experiment, as you are certainly not limited to these. Also, Melanie Graham has a blog called Mind Melt that lists the reactions of colors over black, for example. It is not an exhaustive list but should give you an idea of a few more.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2017-01-20, 11:58am
SCIENCE Teacher!

You can also try putting a dor of transparent red over the red or transparent orang over the orange. That may help you get the visual effect you want.
Old 2017-01-20, 7:26pm

Thanks, Kristin! I do have a lot of corals lying around- that's a good thought for reds, and I think there's some zucca too. I've tried maraschino, but it seems to "separate" oddly when in small dots.
Old 2017-01-20, 7:30pm

For pumpkin, do you mean the effetre or the CiM?
Old 2017-01-20, 7:37pm

The Mind Melt Blog suggestion is _genius_, btw. So useful for this question.
Old 2017-01-21, 9:11am
Slogan Challenged...

effetre light zucca, I call the zuccas pumpkin but I suppose that is not accurate. Thanks for the tip on the marachino, didn't know how that would work out

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-01-21, 9:54am

Kandice Seeber's coloraddiction blog is also a good resource. She seems to prefer stable, non-streaky colors and always makes note of those tendencies in a color.
Old 2017-01-22, 7:49am

Interesting that this thread came up. I have a friend that has requested a bracelet with Red, Orange, Yellow among other colors. I plan to make several versions: transparent, opaque, encased. Since I am relatively new to the field, I am inexperienced with the listed transparent colors for full beads. It seems that they are mostly striking glass. Does anyone have suggestions? I expect to make tubular or flat beads of some shape.
Thank you

Greg
Old 2017-01-22, 9:31am
Slogan Challenged...

The striking transparents are relatively easy to work with. Don't overheat them, especially at the tips, and they usually strike with regular working. Don't work them too long or hot. You can encase them with crystal clear to help protect the glass if you are working a larger bead and pressing.

One of my favorite orange transparents is CIM Orange crush, gorgeous sunkist color. Regular eff orange is okay too, you might want to use a white base for that, or for either if you want it lighter. Yellow, really a matter of preference, but I do find that it is hard to get a true yellow in transparent, as it looks amber gold or something like that instead of that yellow zing. Eff. striking red usually works fine, but is very dark so a white base would be good for that. It is the most prone to overheating and will look uneven if the tip burned out of color and it is a small bead.

In solids, these are hard colors to encase. If you try, you will want to use a clear core to help minimize the cracking, and do a light encasement, which really helps those colors to pop.

For solids, otherwise, my favorite go tos are eff light red, Eff orange special and eff light lemon, or eff acid yellow. Really depends what you like. And CIM has a lot of colors, especially the reds and yellows, that I haven't tried. They look really good.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2017-01-22 at 9:34am.
Old 2017-01-22, 10:39am

Thank you Kristin. Your comments are very helpful for me and for all the other people you help. My lack of experience will show when I ask the next question. Do you strike the transparent before of after encasing?

I found a rod of Eff. striking orange and it looks like it may work. I looked at the Orange crush and it is really nice. I have several different rods of Eff. striking red which I have used for some dots. Thank you for the suggestion of a white base. I have seen and found that the white base can lighten the transparent colors. I do have a bunch of CIM Sangre. My sweet wife has made some necklaces from my Sangre beads and they really bring shoppers into our booth to look around. I find it is not as transparent as some glass.

Your clear core suggestion is great. I remember seeing that for something else also. I have had several people ask if the beads were ceramic. I really need to encase them to bring out the glass look....to differentiate from ceramic.

I am pretty well stocked on the opaque red, yellow and oranges. I have several of both Effetre and CIM. The yellow and oranges still mystify me a bit because the colors don't always come out as expected or even consistently. That's why glass is interesting.

Thank you again

Greg
Old 2017-01-22, 2:28pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Greg,
usually they strike pretty quickly and it just depends on how fast you work. You don't want to encase them before you see the color. You can let them cool for just a little bit and reheat and see the color bloom if they are too light. It will just take one or two beads for you to get the hang of it, and remember to work cooler as the color can also burn out.

The clear core is to help with cracking issues. Reds, yellow and orange opaques are notorious for being hard to encase.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2017-01-22 at 2:30pm.
Old 2017-01-23, 1:14pm
Naysayer

Greg, I find opposite, red is mystifying but yellow and oranges are not.

Remember too that the black you are using can suck up the colors. I just remember this fact, but not which ones, hopefully someone can straighten me out. I want to say Hades eats colors, but I think Tuxedo and reg. effetre black are ok.

The newest batch of CIM phoenix is bright orange much to my dismay, and if you can get your paws on CIM Alley Cat, that was a perfect orange. I like regular effetre yellow 418. It's pretty much exact to CIM Pumpkin.

Hey! I don't see pumpkin for sale anymore...

Edit to add, here's a thread with photos of the newest phoenix
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...hlight=phoenix

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2017-01-23 at 1:19pm.