Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-08-26, 8:58pm

Default boro glass blowing with oxygen concentrator?

Hi, I have started making blown boro glass figures about 4 inches tall, & it REALLY uses the oxygen. So I need to buy a oxygen concentrator. But don't know if a 10 psi is Ok for glass blowing or will I need a bigger one? I would like to hear if anyone has used a oxy con to blow boro figures & what size they recommend. Also where to buy the bigger ones from, as most websites have 10 psi or smaller for sale. Thanks, Cynthia
Old 2009-08-26, 9:11pm

I don't do blown work but I just got one of the Ex-15 scratch and dent models from ABR and I love it. Not a scratch or dent visible on the whole thing and was shipped quickly and arrived in great condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-08-27, 5:44am
Pyromaniac

It's the LPM as much as the PSI with concentrators. I'm using two 5LPM/5PSI machines and able to make goblets etc...I'd like to move up to larger stuff, 1" to 1.5" seems to be the point where solid stuff marbles & etc start to get reaaaall slow. Tubing I am fine working 25 mm HW & even larger. I don't know what torch you're using but for my barracuda, but my research seems to indicate that two linked M-15 concentrators plus a holding tank should be sufficient for most of my needs (approx 16LPM @ 15 PSI), at least until I hook up a BIG torch.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2009-08-27 at 7:58am. Reason: missed some stuff.
Old 2009-08-27, 6:49am
burnin' glass just becuz

you might find this chart useful: http://artistryinglass.on.ca/charts/...ortorches.html

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-08-27, 6:52am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrakat123 View Post
Hi, I have started making blown boro glass figures about 4 inches tall, & it REALLY uses the oxygen. So I need to buy a oxygen concentrator. But don't know if a 10 psi is Ok for glass blowing or will I need a bigger one? I would like to hear if anyone has used a oxy con to blow boro figures & what size they recommend. Also where to buy the bigger ones from, as most websites have 10 psi or smaller for sale. Thanks, Cynthia
What kind of torch are you using?

Tanks will always be better than concentrators, but a lot of times you can get by with concentrators if you have enough of them.

Old 2009-08-27, 8:02am
Pyromaniac

Another note: my master plan is to run concentrators for every day stuff and have tanked in reserve when I need it. There are some things you just can't do on inexpensive concentrators (if you spend enough you can get a big enough concentrator (or enough big ones) for just about anything...)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-08-27, 7:41pm
sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
This chart is usefull in some ways but not exactly accurate, the torches will run on lower LPM and PSI and it just depends what you want to do, for example I run a Phantom on 20LPM at 15PSI and it does all I want of it, goblets, marbles, scent bottles sculpture etc. tables giving set rules are not realy that helpful you should try the torch on the supply and make your own assesment.
cheers, Bernard
Old 2009-08-27, 9:09pm

Default Cheetah burner

Hi, Firstly, thank you everyone for replying to my question. I have a new Cheetah burner & I need the oxy con to be able to cope with blowing 4 inch figures of boro glass. I didn't want to have to buy two concentrators or buy a holding tank. Thanks, Cynthia