LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-04, 9:43pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Default What about those Cheap Oxycons on Ebay?

Ok, first I'll state that I'm in no way trying to step on anyone's toes here. I may very well be showing my ignorance (but what better way to be enlightened?), however since I've never had an oxycon, never used anything but a HH, and would like to know more, I'm hoping this is a topic worthy of discussion or, at the very least, information.
And yes, I am looking for an oxycon.

So, does anyone know anything about the oxycons that are so cheap on Ebay? The Chinese ones that are shipped from Honkers, like these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-0L-5L...item4cfd8211f5

The descriptions go into density and velocity etc (but I can't get a straight answer re PSI output as yet). There are 5 LPMs, sold for domestic (medical/health) use.

I've posted a similar topic on the Aussie beadmaker site as well. I just wonder whether anyone further afield has any experience with these machines. So far, the 'if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is' caution has been raised. And fair enough, too. But I'm still curious, if not quite rushing out to get me one of these babies.

Your thoughts, please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-04, 9:50pm
Loving learning

I don't know anything about those, but I will tell you the tale of my first one.
I had seen a craigslist ad for someone getting out of lampworking (as it happened she used to post here too, but that is not really important, just found it interesting).
I went to buy her chilipepper, and as it ended up she was selling her oxycon too when I went there. Larry & I talked about it and the gamble, and ended up getting it. She said her husband had plugged it in & turned it on & it worked.
So I got it home & hooked up & it did turn on, etc. but the alarm kept signalling off & on, and then it just gave up (total of maybe 6 hours on?) and I took it to a repair place about an hour away, and they checked it out. It was going to cost me more to fix it than they sold used ones for, and they gave me a warranty, so I bought a used one.
So buyer beware if there is no warranty.
Old 2012-03-04, 9:55pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, Eileen
According to the Ebay blurb, it says it has a 2 year warranty. I'd have to look closely at that, though. A bit like car ones

I'd assume for that price, something like poorly built compressors or something might be in the mix.

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-04, 10:24pm
Unmedicated since '62

remember the US is not like Oz, oxycons there are cheap as! so they may think its a reasonable deal (i think the Oxy guy whatever his name is had oxycons for like $300 at one stage)

http://www.unlimitedoxygen.com/services.html - here you go, the one at the top might even be the one you're looking at

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-03-04, 11:00pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yes, they still are - I checked yesterday

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-04, 11:31pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Yes, they still are - I checked yesterday
i looked into that too, the shipping is a killer

Old 2012-03-04, 11:36pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, bummer, eh?

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-04, 11:41pm
Unmedicated since '62

and they dont have the right plug

Old 2012-03-04, 11:44pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yeah, I looked into that, too. Just one of those things.

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-04, 11:55pm
offically down under

I'm using a Canta oxy 10 lpm which is Chinese. I have had very good luck with it so far but I'm not quite ready to get rid of my DeVilbiss just yet.

Old 2012-03-05, 12:01am
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks for weighing in, Tammy.
Brands are also interesting - and how in the world would we know which brand to, or not, to go for??
A bit like motorcycles - I don't think I'd buy a Korean or Chinese bike any time soon. But many electronics and home products are made in these countries and, in many instances, are becoming acceptable - probably much, much faster than it took for Japanese products to become acceptable, let alone sought after.
It's a funny old world, eh?

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-05, 12:18am
I'm a lilac!

I used to buy cheap used oxycons on ebay, and got some great deals that lasted a few years. It kind of seems like those days are gone, though, sadly.

Old 2012-03-05, 12:27am
Beadmaking.nl

Great question, it made me awake immediatly. For such a price a new oxygen, i was in immediatly.

So I found this site:
http://www.joieya.com/en/Product.aspx

"We strongly recommend that Oxygen concentrator should be used maximum 3 times a day and 30 minutes each session. This system should not be used for more than 2 hours (altogether) in a day. If its used your body system will not be able to survive in Natural air."

So, not good for me.

Old 2012-03-05, 12:45am
Happy Inner Dragon

I sure wouldn't mind 'touching gracious life', either

I've just heard back re the link in the OP, and apparently the inner diameter of the outlet nozzle is only 2.5mm. Seems awfully narrow to me, looking at my knitting gauge.

Also he says that: "The pressure of the output oxygen is 2.66pa: I have no idea what that means!

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-05, 8:16am
Ancient Primate

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
So, does anyone know anything about the oxycons that are so cheap on Ebay?
I can't speak for eBay and do realize that you are from down under... A reputable pruveyor of reconditioned (and warranted) OC's State Side is Unlimited Oxygen Again, I don't know what freight and duties will cost but as far as reputable vendors go, these guys have really stepped up their game in the last few years and are highly recommended
Old 2012-03-05, 8:20am
honorary bead lady

Pa is a Pascal unit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit)

SOOOOOO.... 2.66 pascal = 0.000 385 800 383 1 pound/square inch

The link you found is for concentrators for "oxygen bars" and at their peak are only 90% efficient
Old 2012-03-05, 10:36am

Velocity of Flow : 0--5L/min adjustable ( = 1L/min, Oxygen density =90% )

that does not sound impressive to me

90% @ 1L/min

my Devilbiss gives out 87% @ 5L/min according to the rs232 computer port on the backside.

you want a high percentage of oxygen output as close to 100% as possible.
Old 2012-03-05, 1:28pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, guys. That was exactly what I needed to know.
Based on what David and Adam have provided, it looks like it's a fail.
Much appreciated

Then again, they might be useful for a nice oxy facial

SRA# P107